Should I buy it?
May 27, 2003 at 3:10 PM Post #16 of 34
I remember the standard transmission RX-7 did 0-60 in under 5 seconds, this automatic is claimng a hair over 6 so that transmission does not do the engine justice. I would suspect that the engine has been abused for having been replaced in such a short time. My brother had one, I think it was a 92-93, red, awesome car. He sold it because it had left him stranded one to many times. Beautifull awesome sports car that is just not that reliable. Be carefull, it sounds like a big risk....

May 27, 2003 at 3:51 PM Post #17 of 34
Yup, you just can't regulate your rpms through curves with an automatic. Why is this important? So you can drive through the curve. You need to be on the gas all the way through the turn, and accelerate as you hit the apex. This will reduce centrifigal force.

May 27, 2003 at 4:16 PM Post #18 of 34
it's not the poor care taken by the owner, but the poor construction and quality by mazda. i'm sure you can find all the rants simply by searching on google, but it's well documented that that 13b wankel engine needs ALOT of maintenance. it's just poorly constructed. the 95 version did much better, with longer wear. and with 95, the US shores never saw an rx-7 release stateside again.

May 27, 2003 at 4:32 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by AIM9x
no.... why would anybody in their right mind buy an automatic sports car?

Ditto.

Mr. PD, I've heard that the engines do last a while if you frequently change the oil. If I owned one, I'd change the oil every 2K miles, but then again, I do that with any car I own. It's easier to remember that way.

Save your money and get an RX-8
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2003 at 7:30 PM Post #20 of 34
Automatic-No, Bose-no, so the short answer is no, the long answer is no. oh and IMO miata's look like a pill on wheels, i think they are one of the worst looking sports cars out there. definitely made for women.
-Mag

May 27, 2003 at 7:59 PM Post #21 of 34
I have owned two miata's, a Black/Tan '97, and a silver/black '00 and I can honestly say that they are a blast to drive. They aren't fast at all, but once you get to speed and start to take on curve's all the fun starts. You can really push those cars to extreme limits. You won't understand the reason for owning one until you've driven one. You find yourself making up excuses to take a drive.

May 27, 2003 at 8:02 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
True. But I can't drive a stick
redface.gif

Think about it this way: A manual transmission is less expensive to repair, less likely to need repairs, 75% less likely to be stolen, AND gives you better performance. Plus your friends can't "borrow" your car.

May 27, 2003 at 9:48 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by brent_mr2
Save your money and get an RX-8
smily_headphones1.gif

word. they will be far more reliable.

learn to drive stick, its so gratifying.

unless you're really into cars, have your own tools, and have some experience with rx-7's, i don't think you should buy the FD(3rd gen rx-7). I'll assume you aren't an rx-7 fanatic cuz you wouldn't be asking a headphone forum on advice for it if you were. It wasn't really bad manufacturing on mazda's part, but bad design, the twin turbos generated massive amounts of heat and backpressure, the cooling system was a pile...

rx-7's can be reliable(not toyota corolla reliable, but fairly reliable), but lots of stuff has to be done to it. replacing every single hose and tube in the engine bay, replacing turbo(late nineties japanese domestic market rx-7 turbo), new cooling system..

i'm sure if you ask an rx-7 fanatic, they'll tell you its worth it though. its a legendary sports car.

May 27, 2003 at 10:49 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Sentral Dogma
word. they will be far more reliable.

learn to drive stick, its so gratifying.

unless you're really into cars, have your own tools, and have some experience with rx-7's, i don't think you should buy the FD(3rd gen rx-7). I'll assume you aren't an rx-7 fanatic cuz you wouldn't be asking a headphone forum on advice for it if you were. It wasn't really bad manufacturing on mazda's part, but bad design, the twin turbos generated massive amounts of heat and backpressure, the cooling system was a pile...

rx-7's can be reliable(not toyota corolla reliable, but fairly reliable), but lots of stuff has to be done to it. replacing every single hose and tube in the engine bay, replacing turbo(late nineties japanese domestic market rx-7 turbo), new cooling system..

i'm sure if you ask an rx-7 fanatic, they'll tell you its worth it though. its a legendary sports car.

No i'm not a mazda fan. The only ones I like are the RX7 and RX8. I don't like the Miata. Too small and not much balls unless there is a turbo version out there that I don't know about.

May 27, 2003 at 11:08 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

No i'm not a mazda fan. The only ones I like are the RX7 and RX8. I don't like the Miata. Too small and not much balls unless there is a turbo version out there that I don't know about.

While there isn't a stock Miata with a turbo just yet, you could buy a used Miata and add a Jackson racing turbo or even a Sebring supercharger for an extra 2 grand or so boosting the horsepower to close to 200. There are also stage 2 and 3 modifications that boost the horsepower even more. Check out the following website to get a taste of what Miata owner's do with their cars....

www.miata.net

May 28, 2003 at 12:38 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Pappucho
While there isn't a stock Miata with a turbo just yet, you could buy a used Miata and add a Jackson racing turbo or even a Sebring supercharger for an extra 2 grand or so boosting the horsepower to close to 200. There are also stage 2 and 3 modifications that boost the horsepower even more. Check out the following website to get a taste of what Miata owner's do with their cars....

www.miata.net

Sorry. Still don't like them.

May 28, 2003 at 1:49 AM Post #27 of 34
$14k for the '94 is a good price.

i figure white would be the last colour anyone in Maine would want, though.
biggrin.gif
(That's like having a brown car in the southwest).

yes, I've always wanted an RX7 Convertible. Yellow, 'nach.

so, have you test driven the RX7, yet?

May 28, 2003 at 2:07 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

True. But I can't drive a stick
redface.gif

Yes you can. You just haven't tried it yet. After a week it's second nature and so much more fun than an Auto.

May 28, 2003 at 3:03 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Pappucho

www.miata.net

have you heard about the new mazdaspeed miata?
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back