Should i buy hd660s if i already have a DT1990pro?
May 10, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #16 of 34
I disagree with der_Asiate and zazex.
I own the DT 1990 and the HD 650 (sorry, no experience with the HD 660, so I can't speak directly to that) and they offer vastly different listening experiences and are a complement to each other. Sometimes you want detail and treble, sometimes you want a smooth presentation.

Sound signature aside, though, the DT 1990 is head and shoulders above the HD 650, especially in dynamics and detail retrieval. Unless the HD 660 is similarly better than the HD 650, I think you may be a bit disappointed.

I think we're in agreement, more or less - you're praising the 1990 significantly higher than the 650 - "head and shoulders above" - which is pretty much what I was attempting
to get at in my post. You went for a quite expensive headphone, definitely pricier than the 650 (and even the 660S). And, in fact, you seem to find it very rewarding and
probably feel that although expensive, it was a good investment for you.

I was merely suggesting to@tsukuyomi that he do the same thing, just to a higher degree - depending, of course, on his interest and resources.

May 11, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #17 of 34
No, don't get me wrong, I didn't want to recommend you the HD800 or HE500.
The Audeze LCD2c is a very good Headphone, you will definitely happy with it.
If you really take music serious, then you should step up.
As amp, I can only recommend the rHead, but there are a lot of other good amps around 100$ to.

May 11, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #18 of 34
I wanted the Audeze Deckard but i couldnt find it anywhere because for its price, its amazing i hear.
But i might upgrade to a Violectric HPA V100 with an optional built in DAC. because i hear they're amazing as well.
I did consider the ADI-2 Pro from RME but... its way more expensive than the other two i've mentioned.
Currently all i have is the Fostex HPA4 and FiiO X5 Gen 3.

May 11, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #19 of 34
I think we're in agreement, more or less - you're praising the 1990 significantly higher than the 650 - "head and shoulders above" - which is pretty much what I was attempting
to get at in my post. You went for a quite expensive headphone, definitely pricier than the 650 (and even the 660S). And, in fact, you seem to find it very rewarding and
probably feel that although expensive, it was a good investment for you.

I was merely suggesting to@tsukuyomi that he do the same thing, just to a higher degree - depending, of course, on his interest and resources.
My resources at the moment are quiet limited I dont think i can go over 800$ CND on headphones for now, unless i wait until end of summer, then maybe 1,200$ on headphones might be an option..

May 11, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #20 of 34
The Fostex is good, I wouldn't upgrade the amp now, it would be way better to invest the money in some new cans. You can buy the amp later.
I mean, buying somethin' like the LCD2c or even a Hifiman is a good option, maybe the HE560.
If you want to spend the money in a better amp an the HD650 then do so.

May 15, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #21 of 34
The Fostex is good, I wouldn't upgrade the amp now, it would be way better to invest the money in some new cans. You can buy the amp later.
I mean, buying somethin' like the LCD2c or even a Hifiman is a good option, maybe the HE560.
If you want to spend the money in a better amp an the HD650 then do so.
the LCD2-C is a bit pricey in my area, pushing around 1,200$ plus tax... I was considering the Hifiman Sundara however since it is cheaper..

May 16, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #23 of 34
The Sundara is also quiet good.
Would you know, despite them being planars, if they are anywhere close to the DT1990 Pro levels of clarity? I've read and seen reviews on forums and youtube and everyone says they're quite "cool" sounding headphones and that they arent "warm" at all.
I never found the DT1990 Pros sounding either "Cool" or "Warm". The only way i could tell is my B&W P7 sounds a bit warm on a bassy song, but sharper and cool on a less bassy song like violins and certain types of opera.

May 16, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #24 of 34
Not easy to say, I haven't heard the DT1990's so far. A warm signature means, that the highs are a bit rolled of, so they aren't sharp and the bass is mostly a bit deeper, not extremly present, nothing like Beat's or somethin like that, but still there.
A neutral signature is mostly more flat sounding, not extremely strong bass and more present highs. The Sundara is IMO a very natural sounding headphone, but if you really want somethin' different, then buy the HD650.
It you want to upgrade, go and test some headphones, hear them in a store, but don't buy blind.

May 16, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #25 of 34
I have DT 1990 and I got HD 660S this week. 660 is now my main headphone, For mysterious reasons. It's like it is VERY similar, but seems like there is certain nuances that the 660 has that I like, but that depends on the song. I would be more specific, but I recently also got HA 1 and I am more confused than anything. All I know is that I seem to lean for 660 so far.

May 17, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #26 of 34
Not easy to say, I haven't heard the DT1990's so far. A warm signature means, that the highs are a bit rolled of, so they aren't sharp and the bass is mostly a bit deeper, not extremly present, nothing like Beat's or somethin like that, but still there.
A neutral signature is mostly more flat sounding, not extremely strong bass and more present highs. The Sundara is IMO a very natural sounding headphone, but if you really want somethin' different, then buy the HD650.
It you want to upgrade, go and test some headphones, hear them in a store, but don't buy blind.
I usually never buy blind, however i did buy my 1990 pros blind on the recommendation of a close friend. and i wasnt disappointed at all, they are to this day my no.1 fav headphones. i've never tried thoes crazy high expensive headphones at shows or w/e. and i think thats a bit of a falsity since most people cant really afford them.
i think excluding my 1990 pros, maybe the most expensive headphone i tried was the Abyss. and it sounded nice but i didnt like the physical look nor the comfort.
I really want to try the 660S since its "newer" despite using HD700 drivers. in a 650 shell.

May 17, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #27 of 34
I have DT 1990 and I got HD 660S this week. 660 is now my main headphone, For mysterious reasons. It's like it is VERY similar, but seems like there is certain nuances that the 660 has that I like, but that depends on the song. I would be more specific, but I recently also got HA 1 and I am more confused than anything. All I know is that I seem to lean for 660 so far.
maybe its because subconsciously you like them for being newer?
I feel like most people should really compare things with a blindfold lol.

May 17, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #28 of 34
Pricier headphones do not translate with happier sound. You should just try and stick to $200 headphones or less. Really. Until you find the sound flavor that you like. When you start from a HD650 or DT1990, everything is a sidegrade or a small diminishing return. Not worth your money. And headphone should never cost more than $300. Anything pricier is a gimmick. But sometimes a gimmick sound is nice, temporarily, until your brain vomits it.

My modded M40x is better and more accurate than my K812. To give you an idea.

Last edited:
May 17, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #29 of 34
I won't disagree to that, I'm not particularly aiming for anything super high end. Curious about stuff, but meh. I went trough a lot of mid tier headphones to find my sound signature. I was happy with how the DT 1990 sounded like. Being a guy who likes tech I always aim to improve my setup. Which is why I made a list of things required for an upgrade. Couple of things that 660 checked was Gaming, 660 is epicly good for positional audio. Lighter than 1990 and the weight to be less on the outside of the cup, because 1990 kinda wobbles a bit. dual entry. And if possible "Open Back" instead of "Open Back Design". The reason I said mysterious reasons is because I normaly swap headphones back and forth before I decide, but with these I was like, "They are fine". Like I told my friend, I can't describe things I like, If I were to describe my speakers I would describe them as "Cheap" however when I listen to them "Oh yeah". Opposed to headphones I have had, I could describe them in detail as best as I can. Now cue the 660, how would I describe them? "Cheap".

That reminds me, I was happy with DT 990 Until I got Game One and I couldn't pick so I went with 1990.

Also I got Oppo HA 1 because it has Spectrum analyzer. It just happens to be good as well. ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back