should i buy an ER6i as a spare?
Sep 24, 2008 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ah_long

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of Shure SE420 right now and I love them..

I'm wondering whether I should get a pair of ER6i as a spare.. in comparison with my SE420, will I see a significant downgrade?

I really enjoy the details and clarity in the SE420..

I'm just looking for something to use in the subway... it will be unamped right now

Sep 24, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 10
anyone?

i'm mostly interested in the things that the ER6i could deliver (dynamic driver) that the SE420 (Dual Armature Drivers) cannont

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 10
would the ER6i be giving me a different experience or just a downright worst experience

Sep 25, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ah_long /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm mostly interested in the things that the ER6i could deliver (dynamic driver) that the SE420 (Dual Armature Drivers) cannont

FYI, ER6i is single armature.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ah_long /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would the ER6i be giving me a different experience or just a downright worst experience

It will definitely give you a different experience, but whether it is good or worst is sorely depended on what you expect to hear on it. Ety's cold, analytical sound signature is not for everyone. If you have $100 to spend, you should also try looking at iM716 on discounted price or Head-Direct RE2 (with FiiO E3 will be great).

Sep 25, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 10
i guess i'll just give up on the er6i...
however.. i'll look into the fiio amp... i wonder wht it can do for the 420

Sep 25, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 10
The ER-6i is going to be a very different sound. Whether it sounds like a downgrade to you will be entirely a matter of personal preference. Personally I find the ER-6i vastly preferable to the SE420. But lots of people resist that opinion, for any of several reasons.

Certainly it has all the details and clarity of the Shure, and then some (and then quite a lot, actually). But many people just do not like the Ety sound signature. You might or might not be one of them.

The Ety is also a smaller and lighter weight earphone, with much lighter and thinner cables as well. If that bothers you, look for something else as your spare instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back