Should I buy a pair of HD650s?
Nov 12, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #17 of 28
Well, I decided my initial requirements are a bit silly. Instead of looking for something with nearly the same tonal balance to the D2000s and a different feel, I've decided I want two sets of cans with different approaches, so I can mix and match with my music and my mood.

To that end, I'm looking at clear and detailed highs, with a bright, open sound and an expansive soundstage. So, I figure that Senns would be a bad choice here, and I'm looking at the DT 880/990 and the K701/601 (both brands are listed with what I'm leaning towards first).

I think I'm leaning towards the K701 ultimately, because people here seem fairly evenly divided between them and the DT 880s, and frankly the K701s seem to have a better build quality and are dramatically more stylish. Given that I don't have the opportunity to demo either of these cans, and reviews, taken on the whole, seem to indicate that they both do what I'm looking for, about equally well, I might as well finalize my choice based on construction and visual appeal. Also, I'm a little unsure of which version of the 880s would best fit what I'm looking for, and having only one choice with the K701s makes things a little simpler.

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest considering the experiences of others with those headphones and that particular Headroom unit.

I haven't found any yet, but I'll keep looking around.

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by backwardsname /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I decided my initial requirements are a bit silly. Instead of looking for something with nearly the same tonal balance to the D2000s and a different feel, I've decided I want two sets of cans with different approaches, so I can mix and match with my music and my mood.

To that end, I'm looking at clear and detailed highs, with a bright, open sound and an expansive soundstage. So, I figure that Senns would be a bad choice here, and I'm looking at the DT 880/990 and the K701/601 (both brands are listed with what I'm leaning towards first).

I think I'm leaning towards the K701 ultimately, because people here seem fairly evenly divided between them and the DT 880s, and frankly the K701s seem to have a better build quality and are dramatically more stylish. Given that I don't have the opportunity to demo either of these cans, and reviews, taken on the whole, seem to indicate that they both do what I'm looking for, about equally well, I might as well finalize my choice based on construction and visual appeal. Also, I'm a little unsure of which version of the 880s would best fit what I'm looking for, and having only one choice with the K701s makes things a little simpler.

See, now I've seen the DT800 and K701 in person (I've had the K701 myself), and I prefer the Beyers in terms of build quality. The K701, despite their rugged plastic, didn't feel that sturdy. I think it's the headband that gives me this feeling.

The DT880 and K701 sound different enough that you should give them a listen before buying to know which you would prefer. Personally? I couldn't stand the K701, but I didn't mind the DT880pro.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT880 and K701 sound different enough that you should give them a listen before buying to know which you would prefer. Personally? I couldn't stand the K701, but I didn't mind the DT880pro.

I've never been able to find a place to demo higher-end cans though. I've looked in Boston but I can't find a place (I've only been here a month though so I haven't looked terribly hard).

Edit: Found a place, but I work 7 days a week, from 8:30 AM to midnight, with the exception of sundays, which is noon to midnight. I don't think I'll have time to demo any cans.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

I've never been able to find a place to demo higher-end cans though. I've looked in Boston but I can't find a place (I've only been here a month though so I haven't looked terribly hard).

Edit: Found a place, but I work 7 days a week, from 8:30 AM to midnight, with the exception of sundays, which is noon to midnight. I don't think I'll have time to demo any cans.

I too am in the MA area, and you're right. There are VERY few places that have headphones on demonstration. Spearitsound in Northampton has some gradoes, and some AKG's, but that's about it.

What I ended up doing was going to local head-fi meets. Sometimes there are boston area head-fi meets.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

I too am in the MA area, and you're right. There are VERY few places that have headphones on demonstration. Spearitsound in Northampton has some gradoes, and some AKG's, but that's about it.

What I ended up doing was going to local head-fi meets. Sometimes there are boston area head-fi meets.

Yeah, it was either that or The Audio Lab in Cambridge, which both seem fine given that I am most interested in auditioning the K701, but neither are open at a time when I would be able to go.

Oh, and don't forget to vote for Alan Khazei in the Democratic Senate primary. :p

edit: Is it generally possible to bring your amp/DAC and some music with you to audition headphones? My stuff isn't battery-powered but it is pretty small and portable -- if I found time off, lugging it to the place wouldn't be too hard.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Yeah, it was either that or The Audio Lab in Cambridge, which both seem fine given that I am most interested in auditioning the K701, but neither are open at a time when I would be able to go.

Oh, and don't forget to vote for Alan Khazei in the Democratic Senate primary. :p

edit: Is it generally possible to bring your amp/DAC and some music with you to audition headphones? My stuff isn't battery-powered but it is pretty small and portable -- if I found time off, lugging it to the place wouldn't be too hard.

Depends on how nice the store is.
I know up at Spearitsound they wouldn't mind at all.

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer hd650 over D7k (never tried d5 d2..)~ with a nice powerful tube amp, HD650 truly performs~

Honestly you have to try them out for yourself. Me, unlike Feather225, think that my D7000s BLOW my HD650s out of the water, lake and ocean.

IMO, the D7000s are in a totally different league and do everything better than the HD650s.

But back the HD650s, I really like them (though nowhere as much as my D7000s and RS1s). Of all my headphones I would rank:

D7000 > only slightly to RS1 > K701 > HD650

But honestly, go try them out for yourself to see if they are for you, because we all hear differently.
o2smile.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly you have to try them out for yourself. Me, unlike Feather225, think that my D7000s BLOW my HD650s out of the water, lake and ocean.

IMO, the D7000s are in a totally different league and do everything better than the HD650s.

But back the HD650s, I really like them (though nowhere as much as my D7000s and RS1s). Of all my headphones I would rank:

D7000 > only slightly to RS1 > K701 > HD650

But honestly, go try them out for yourself to see if they are for you, because we all hear differently.
o2smile.gif

Funny how musical preference is..... well, a preference!
For me:
HD650 > RS1 > K701

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Funny how musical preference is..... well, a preference!
For me:
HD650 > RS1 > K701

The French have a great saying: Chacun son gout...To each his own. It amazing me how many people buy gear without listening to see if they like them, or can even tell a difference.

I definitely appreciate other people's perspective (like Headphoneaddict and Skylab), but ultimately, one has to try them on and listen for one's self.

I think our little example of our preferences between the RS1s/K701s/HD650s prove that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back