Should I buy a M-Audio Revo now or wait ?
Jul 10, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #16 of 26
RMAA doesn't prove anything. Even Iron_Dreamer himself said that. When he was doing RMAA tests on the modded RME HDSP 3296 they didn't improve very much, even though there was a clearly audible improvment in the sound.

Jul 11, 2004 at 10:51 AM Post #17 of 26
Thanks people
icon10.gif

Based upon my needs, availability here, price and your info......

I'm going to purchase the Revo right now
smily_headphones1.gif
let the postage wait begin
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
RMAA doesn't prove anything. Even Iron_Dreamer himself said that. When he was doing RMAA tests on the modded RME HDSP 3296 they didn't improve very much, even though there was a clearly audible improvment in the sound.

What crap. Dynamic range shows the amount of noise present in the signal, which clearly shows how pure the signal is, which again is the agenda of audiophiles, the frequency response the linearity of the sound response, and the other parameters on their own. RMAA proves almost everything. You are trying to deny the technical tests.
I am not trying to prove that your chaintech is inferior to the Revo, in fact it gives a flatter freq response, but the DR is a little inferior. Stop wondering why the EMU 1212M sounds so bloody good, it has an amazing measured DR of 118 db. RMAA tests prove everything. Again, that's my point of view. Believe it or not.
Besides that the Revo will be better in his case, since he is also using a decent speaker set, he can use the front out and the subwoofer out for the speakers, and the rear out for headphone out,which he definately cannot do on the VIA, i mean he would be able to do it , but wont get the same quality.

Jul 11, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #19 of 26
Can anyone who's heard Chaintech vs. Revo chime in here? I don't think anyone is going to miss a 4 dB difference in the dynamic range, espeically when that's all you get for quadrupling the price, and if I'm not mistaken the Revo is considered a bit bright while the Chaintech is considered more balanced. Anyways, whatever sounds good to your ears.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeeyy
Somehow I still feel that the quality of E-Mu 1212m better than the RME HDSP 9632, after looking the RMAA result.

I know, it looks like the EMU should win hands down, but as we have seen in the past, RMAA does not tell the whole story. Once dynamic range passes 100dB (already past the highest level possible on CD's) I don't know how much it means. You'd think the distortion difference would be audible, but AFAIK it ain't. To me the STOCK 9632 when used with upsampling to 176.4 sounds more enjoyable than my heavily modded E-MU, though not quite as fast or detailed. Add some good blackgates, and the 9632 retains its' enjoyable characteristics, and goes up to the modded E-MU's level of fidelity. I will find out tomorrow, hopefuly, just how high this card can climb with the opamps. I think there is definitely something to this 4x US'ing, since the mids and soundstage have a magic that just isn't there at 44.1.

Jul 11, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #20 of 26
If you give me one day, My roomate has the Revo and I will have the chaintech and I can do a side by side comparison of them...

just have to wait till the chaintech gets here, should be here tomorrow as long as something unforseeable does not occur

Jul 11, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Can anyone who's heard Chaintech vs. Revo chime in here? I don't think anyone is going to miss a 4 dB difference in the dynamic range, espeically when that's all you get for quadrupling the price, and if I'm not mistaken the Revo is considered a bit bright while the Chaintech is considered more balanced. Anyways, whatever sounds good to your ears.

I had both at one time and still preferred my Revo over the Chaintech. I thought the difference was pretty obvious but my Revo was also modified with AD 8620 opamps so that changes things some.

Jul 11, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by amol
Besides that the Revo will be better in his case, since he is also using a decent speaker set, he can use the front out and the subwoofer out for the speakers, and the rear out for headphone out,which he definitely cannot do on the VIA, i mean he would be able to do it , but wont get the same quality.

Would I be able to leave the speakers and headphones plugged in at the same time ?

I have read that people using a revo have to crawl around the back of the PC to swap them over.

I know I could use the 2.1 setting for speakers, but when I switched to 4.1 to listen to the headphones I would have the sound coming out of the speakers and headphones at the same time wouldn't I ?

I hope I am wrong and that there is an easy way to do it.

I was going to use the same workaround that I do now. I have an extension cord plugged into the sound out of my SBlive card and taped to the side of my desk. When I want to listen to my speakers I plug them in or swap it over for the headphones. Easy to reach, no hassles, and I don't think the extension causes any quality problems ? Only thing I'm concerned about is constant swapping causing the plugs to wear, but others say that's not really a problem.

My Klipsch have an amped headphone socket that isolates the speakers. But I have read that I will notice it sounds crap once I get my new headphones and card, so I doubt I will be using it.

Jul 11, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #23 of 26
With the Chaintech you could have the speakers hooked up to the front output and the headphones hooked up to the back stereo output (the high quality one) then just switch the high quality mode on and off to switch between headphones and speakers, or you could just use the extention cable out of the back stereo output like you're currently doing.

Jul 12, 2004 at 2:39 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rat
Would I be able to leave the speakers and headphones plugged in at the same time ?

I have read that people using a revo have to crawl around the back of the PC to swap them over.

I know I could use the 2.1 setting for speakers, but when I switched to 4.1 to listen to the headphones I would have the sound coming out of the speakers and headphones at the same time wouldn't I ?

I hope I am wrong and that there is an easy way to do it.

I was going to use the same workaround that I do now. I have an extension cord plugged into the sound out of my SBlive card and taped to the side of my desk. When I want to listen to my speakers I plug them in or swap it over for the headphones. Easy to reach, no hassles, and I don't think the extension causes any quality problems ? Only thing I'm concerned about is constant swapping causing the plugs to wear, but others say that's not really a problem.

My Klipsch have an amped headphone socket that isolates the speakers. But I have read that I will notice it sounds crap once I get my new headphones and card, so I doubt I will be using it.

You can use either of the speaker set or the headphone out , according to your needs,you dont need to use the bad quality amplified output from your Klipsch, instead in foobar2000, you can use ASIO to control the channels foobar transmits them to, you can use the control "Shift output channels" , the basic setting is on front out, while if you change it to 4, it routes the signal to the rear out. I hope you dont want to use both the headphones and the speakers at the same time. I hope you have a discrete headphone amplifier for that purpose. So you can use 24/192 khz output on both channels, be it speakers or be it headphones.
Besides that Klipsch 2.1 is quite a decent set, and you cannot really compare speakers to headphones, they both are different, and serve different purposes.

Jul 12, 2004 at 3:19 PM Post #25 of 26
Thanks for the tips, I use Winamp though and have tried Foobar2000 and didn't like the library options. (I use the album list plugin with winamp to access my mp3 albums)

I searched the winamp forums for "Shift output channels" and found some info so the same thing might work with winamp ? http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....utput+channels

What I would much prefer is to be able to keep them both plugged in and swap from one to the other by clicking a shourtcut on my desktop. But I have not read of this being possible anywhere, dunno why it sounds simple to me
confused.gif

Seems I will probably be sticking with the workaround I am currently using with the extension cable
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back