Should I buy a M-Audio Revo now or wait ?
Jul 9, 2004 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Rat

New Head-Fier
I want to upgrade from my soundblaster live value to a revo based on what I have read about them.

But the revo is a couple of years old now, I don't know if I want to buy a 2 year old card when newer better cards might be around the corner.

Do you think an Audigy 3 or a Revo 2 are about to come out ?

Do you think I will still be happy with my Revo purchased now, when I buy a new PC in six months time ? or should I wait till I buy the new PC ?

I know people can't give definite answers, I'm just looking for opinions.

Cheers
eggosmile.gif

Jul 9, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 26
Spend some time browing the forums first...

but to answer your questions, you gotta answer, what do you use your soundcard for? gaming? music? movies? what kind of headphones / amp are you using? speakers? This isn't a computer PC forum, this is mostly a headphone / audiophile forum... if you arn't into hardcore audio, you'll only get suggestions for cards aimed at music, to be paired with some good audio equipment, although, any soundcard in the last year or two will blow away the sb live
600smile.gif

Jul 10, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 26
Yeah I have browsed the boards, heaps of great info
smily_headphones1.gif

I really only wanted to know what soundcards people think (or know) will be coming out soon, so I didn't bother posting too much about my setup etc.

I just don't want to buy an M-Audio Revo now only to find next month a much better revo or audigy card supersedes it in the same price bracket. Or to find that it is totally incompatible with new games in 6 months time. Or it won't plug into my new motherboard that I'm going to buy in 6 months time.

I listen to music (high bitrate mp3 192~320) more than I play games. I do play games also, but music is the priority.

Speakers = Klipsch promedia 2.1

Current soundcard = SB live value.

Current Headphones K.55

About to buy new headphones Bayer DT250 or 80 (No amp)
see http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78304

I'm in Australia, can't buy chaintech locally, dunno about the EMU0404, I will have a look.

Jul 10, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 26
You need to strike when the fire is hot! blah blah blah... computer technology is ALWAYS changing and improving. even if you wait for a Revolution 18 or an Audigy Mega 54 there will always be something bigger and better just around the corner.
It's okay to wait for prices to go down, but don't wait for new technology. Buy what you need/want NOW.

Jul 10, 2004 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 26
I'd just upgrade to a audigy 2 zs oem model

cheap, sounds great, compatible.

I don't think with the gear you have its the best choice.

Jul 10, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 26
If you just need a card for listening to music skip the Revo and get the Chaintech AV-710. It's sound quality is quivilent, if not slighlty better than, the Revo for only a quarter of the price. If you want to spend $100 on a card then get the EMU 0404 instead as that should be an improvement over either the Revo or the Chaintech.

Jul 10, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #8 of 26
I used the revo for about a year, and just recently upgraded to an emu 1212m. The revo is a great card, but if the emu 0404 turns out to be anything like the 1212m, it's the card to get hands down in the $100 price range.

I hear good things about the chaintech all over the place (Except from IImobilII), and how it's even better than the revo... although i really have to wonder where the extra $75 the revo costs went to since they're based on the same chipset. *Shrug*

New doesn't always mean better. Smaller yes. Faster usually. But not necessarilly BETTER, especially when it comes to sound. Look around at what amps and headphones people use for instance. You'll see 5-10 year old gear all over the place.

Jul 10, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 26
people are actually saying that the chaintech av-710 sounds better than the Revo or are they merely saying that it is better because you're getting similar sound quality for less than 1/2 the cost?

in regards to the emu 0404, it probably will sound better than the Revo but it doesn't have any gaming support which might or might not be an issue for you.

i think the Revo is a very good soundcard because it's got some gaming support and it seems to hold its own in terms of soundquality.

Jul 10, 2004 at 6:18 AM Post #10 of 26
Thanks for all the advice.

The only place I can find that will ship a Chaintech SC to Australia is compgeeks.com and they want US$26 for the card and US$60 for postage. So that is obviously out of the running.

The emu404 has no gaming support so that's out. Music is the priority, but I do play games sometimes.

People say the Revo is heaps better for music than the Audigy2, and I can buy the Revo here, so it looks like that's still the winner.

Unless anyone knows where I can get a Chaintech AV-710 cheap here ?

Jul 10, 2004 at 1:09 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
Why not the transit, since you don't want more than stereo.

Searched for them and they look cool, but they cost more than the revo at the only place I can find that sells them in OZ.

Jul 10, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rat
The emu404 has no gaming support so that's out.

As long as a card has directsound drivers, stereo gaming is fine. If you want EAX or surround support, you'll have to get a lesser sound quality card ie Audigy 2.

The emu 0404 crushes the Revo in sound quality. There is simply no comparision for the price.

Jul 10, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #14 of 26
Yep, I've had zero problems with my emu 1212m and games, I don't notice any slow down either, but then again I don't play any FPS games, just rpgs/rts hehe.

I definetly would suggest going for the 0404 and paying that lil extra for shipping, the revo and audigy 2 are really not even in the same league, I had an audigy 2, and revo, and after only a few days I am still impressed everyday by my 1212m.

Jul 10, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #15 of 26
The tests about the Revo prove it wrong.
The RMAA benchies clearly show that the Revo is clearly superior to the Chaintech AV 710. Search the forum, some post by iron_dreamer, he measured the AV and it scored 99 db on 32 bit on the EMU 1212M with 120 DB ADC, compared to 103.2 db measured on my Revo's ADC, which clearly shows that the Revo has a superior Dynamic range. The revo might score even better if tested on a better ADC, since the Revo's ADC limits it to 105 db max.

The other advantages of the Revo are better driver support, true support for ASIO 2.0 , a superb ADC , and very good DACs on both the front and the rear out puts. Which translates into true 24/96 khz playback on 5.1/7.1 output, for better music/DVD playback.

The VIA card has a good DAC only on the rear out, and it can do 24/96 on the rear out, and doesnt have any ASIO support.

For gaming support, Revo supports Sensaura, EAX and EAX 2.0 compared to absolutely no gaming support from the chaintech.

The bottom line is that if you are planning a card with multiple uses, choose the Revo, while if you are planning it to use with just a headphone set , 2 channel audio setup then save the money and get the chaintech instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back