Should I buy a 'line out' cable for my Walkman to use in place of the headphone jack?
Apr 21, 2022 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sonyer

New Head-Fier
There is one on Amazon called Fiio L5 that connects from the WM PORT to a 3.5 mm source. Should I buy this? Currently when I want to listen to my Walkman through the home stereo I connect an AUX cable to the mic in on the stereo, or use an RCA phono in, both from the Walkman headphone jack.

But will there be a benefit of using a line out instead that connects to the WM PORT instead of the headphone jack?

Apr 21, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 7
Here's fuller info.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-l5-line-out-dock-lod-cable-for-sony-walkman.14931/

Hard to say whether it's snake oil or not. I'd expect the signal from a Sony headphone jack to be pretty noise-free -- just not as strong as a line-out.

One thing about a line-out connection is that you won't be able to control the volume from the Walkman -- only on your stereo. You'd also want to connect to line-in (the phono in) rather than mic-in, because mic-in usually sends the signal into a preamplifier, while the line-in expects a stronger signal and doesn't have the pre-amp.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 7
There is a line out cable, but I had to order it from Japan. It has a USB output to feed into your DAC or DAC/amp.
20190611_115830_HDR.jpg

Apr 22, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #4 of 7
Here's fuller info.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-l5-line-out-dock-lod-cable-for-sony-walkman.14931/

Hard to say whether it's snake oil or not. I'd expect the signal from a Sony headphone jack to be pretty noise-free -- just not as strong as a line-out.

One thing about a line-out connection is that you won't be able to control the volume from the Walkman -- only on your stereo. You'd also want to connect to line-in (the phono in) rather than mic-in, because mic-in usually sends the signal into a preamplifier, while the line-in expects a stronger signal and doesn't have the pre-amp.
Well if it tells you anything: when I plug it in my stereo's mic-in, I have to considerably turn the volume up to levels that would be way too loud for the radio/CD. The red/white phono-in fares better but it's still above the radio/CD volume level. (the same case as when I connect my iPod Mini to the stereo) FYI my stereo is a 90s Philips 'all in one' with an "integrated amplifier".

I should use the phono in? The Fiio L5 and another similar cable on Amazon are only WM-PORT > 3.5 mm. They are not the red/white phono connectors. How can I use that cable for phono in then?
There is a line out cable, but I had to order it from Japan. It has a USB output to feed into your DAC or DAC/amp.
20190611_115830_HDR.jpg
Ah that wouldn't be for me then as I use old equipment without USB.

Apr 22, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 7
There is one on Amazon called Fiio L5 that connects from the WM PORT to a 3.5 mm source. Should I buy this? Currently when I want to listen to my Walkman through the home stereo I connect an AUX cable to the mic in on the stereo, or use an RCA phono in, both from the Walkman headphone jack.

But will there be a benefit of using a line out instead that connects to the WM PORT instead of the headphone jack?
Results may vary depending on the DAP but overall you tend to get the same signal(probably at a set volume). On 2 of my old Sony DAPs, I can actually get a very slightly better signal out of the jack with a different specific volume setting out of the jack, so I rapidly stopped using the L5 or my other adapter with more eye candy(doing the exact same thing). Unless you have some evidence that the line out of your specific DAP model is better(measured, not some noname guy claiming it does), I don't think you should bother with that adapter.
As for loudness, as you've noticed, Sony DAPs in general are low voltage(double the voltage = 6dB louder). Not much you can do about that beside turning the volume up on your amp and remembering to turn it down before you switch to another source:head_bandage:. Another possible little boost might be achieved with a Rockbox firmware. Google your model and Rockbox or volume cap, and see if you get lucky. The purpose of those firmwares is to allow you to bypass the European volume limitation(that you might find on some DAPs outside Europe too).

Apr 22, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #6 of 7
I should use the phono in? The Fiio L5 and another similar cable on Amazon are only WM-PORT > 3.5 mm. They are not the red/white phono connectors. How can I use that cable for phono in then?
The L5 gets the signal on a different path from the headphone jack -- essentially replaces the headphone jack, supposedly in service of a clearer or stronger signal. So you'd connect to the WM port as a dongle, then use the same 3.5mm-to-phono cable you were using from the headphone jack.

But as castleofargh said:
Results may vary depending on the DAP but overall you tend to get the same signal(probably at a set volume). On 2 of my old Sony DAPs, I can actually get a very slightly better signal out of the jack with a different specific volume setting out of the jack, so I rapidly stopped using the L5.

So it seems like it's unnecessary. And as noted, you should check out https://www.rockbox.org/ and also https://www.nwmods.ml/p/contact.html to see if there are firmwares available to boost your particular model of Walkman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back