Should I be ticked or not?
Nov 1, 2002 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

elnero

Headphoneus Supremus
I just posted an interest check in the Gear For Sale Forum for my 580's. The asking price is what I think to be approximately the going rate for a used pair and less than what I paid for them used myself. I'm just trying to get a reasonable amount back from what I invested in them so I can use the money to purchase something else.

Less than an hour later someone posts a link to a commercial website that has new ones for around the same price as I'm asking. I personally found this rather rude as my post was right there in front of them.

I have mixed feelings at this point, on one hand now I'm probably not going to be able to sell mine for what I wanted to get back from them. On the other I'm all for people getting a great deal. I'm just a bit ticked that it's at my expense.

So what's the verdict? What would you do in this situation?

Nov 1, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 23
It's hard to argue with someone posting information that gets people good deals on good headphones. The bad thing about selling stuff on Head-Fi is that if it's a commonly available product, people know where to get it for the lowest price -- if you're selling used gear for about what someone can get it new ... well, you get the point.

kerely

Nov 1, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 23
Actually from what I've seen I'm asking generally what most people ask for a used pair. I didn't intentionally post an inflated used price and I've never seen a new pair sell for that low.

If this person had posted it in my thread it would be against the rules but because he started a new thread it's fine and I get screwed. Either way it looks like I'm trying to rip people off and most likley ruins any potential sale for me.

Nov 1, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 23
thread crapping isn't allowed and yes, it is rude for someone to **** up someone's post regarding selling a product.

Nov 1, 2002 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 23
elnero, think about it -- I know it sucks for you, and I'd be pissed too in your situation. But I'd be disappointed if people didn't post links for low prices on gear in the For Sale/Trade forum. I hardly think you can blame whoever it was that posted that. It'd be like getting mad at someone else deciding to sell their 580s for lower than you wanted to -- except it's not even as bad as that, since the poster in this situation isn't getting anything from posting the link.

kerely

Nov 1, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 23
Yeah, what kerelybonto said.

I am always thankful for a heads-up to a cheap 'net price. Sometimes they come from obscure, unproven sources that may be a gamble. Sometimes they are limited-time only, low inventory prices that may not be available for long. Sometimes you win, sometimes... It's just the nature of the beast. More than ever, 'caveat emptor'. That's why alot of other, well-known vendors have more consistent, and higher prices. They have a rep, and operating expenses to stay in this busines for the long haul. This is worth something too.

No one thinks you posted an 'inflated' price. Nor do I think that anyone intentionally f-ed up your sale by posting another thread. If your price is close to a low "new" item price, it may come down to if someone here trusts you as much or more than an unproven online vendor. Or if the price is reflective of a large number of vendors, it must be considered current market value, and you may need to adjust your used-item price accordingly. Usually people will make an offer to show what they consider a fair price, to which you can respond either way.

Good luck with your sale. You will probably find someone to take them off your hands, don't worry. Or if you don't seem to be getting offers for what you are asking, you can reconsider selling them and upgrading other parts of your system around them, like a cable, or better amp, etc. Just a thought.

Nov 1, 2002 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 23
Don't worry elerno, New Egg won't have very many and will sell out quickly. It just may take longer to sell yours than you originally planned.
I feel screwed, I just got a pair of HD580's a couple weeks ago and paid way more. I checked here and nobody had any for sale so I got mine new for $180.
mad.gif

Nov 1, 2002 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 23
LOL, I'm destined to keep these things aren't I!

I understand what you all are saying. I doubt the person did it intentionally but I just thought it was kind of rude to post something that would potentially screw up a sale. It's not like my post was buried or anything, I had just posted less than an hour before so it was right there in front of him.

I guess I look at it from a different perspective. I would probably post the link myself but if I came in and saw someone selling a pair used I probably wouldn't post just out of respect to the person trying to make the sale. I would PM the person and say "hey look, you can buy these online new for almost the same price, you might want to rethink what your asking."

For what it's worth I wouldn't be pissed at all if it was somebody else selling a used pair for less, to me that's a totally different situation.

Nov 1, 2002 at 11:22 PM Post #9 of 23
Oh ouch, sorry to here that Mr. PD. That sucks, I guess you kinda gotta look at it like a computer purchase. Buy it and don't look at an ad for at least six months or you'll wind up crying.

I apologize if I've come off like I'm really angry, I'm not at all. Just a little frustrated and needed to vent. I leave it in the hands of fate now, if I'm meant to sell em I will.

Wow, did that sound corny or what......

Nov 2, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 23
Hey, it could be worse. Could be like a weird Twilight Zone episode, the next time you put the on they'll organically bond with you and you won't be able to remove them. Cans for life
biggrin.gif

Then you'll have to upgrade your amp
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
Don't worry elerno, New Egg won't have very many and will sell out quickly.

At 20:12 D-Audi posted in another forum that New Egg was out of stock.

[size=xx-small]I may be psychic.....or psychotic....... whichever...[/size]

Okay elnero, now you are safe to sell yours at your more reasonable price. I think the price from New Egg should be considered an anomaly and should not be reflective of the value of these phones.

Nov 4, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #13 of 23
I realize this is in hindsight at this point, but I would just like to add the following:

This exact same situation has happened to me. I even PM'd the person to tell them what they did. The person assumed I was mad at them, but I was just expressing my exasperation. It helped me place a more fair price on my headphone amp.

I would say that we are now very good friends, so everything worked out in my case.

Nov 4, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #14 of 23
You might be pissed, but think how annoyed you'd be if you had bought something second hand for a price, only to find out you could get it for basically the same price new?

Free market consumer culture is all about competing for the buyer's dollar. Sorry dude, but if you're trying to sell something for the same price or more than it can be bought new, you're asking too much.

EDIT: I've just realised that this refers to an anomalously low "internet price". I don't want it to sound like I'm implying that you're asking for something overinflated. What I've said still applies, but I guess you just got some bad luck. Don't worry, they're already sold out.

Nov 4, 2002 at 6:51 AM Post #15 of 23
I don't like comments from the peanut gallery in any of the for sale posts. My wish is that the For Sale forum did not even allow replies but second to that I've appreciated the policing job that the mods have done. Usually when some ******* craps a for sale thread, a mod will delete his post.

I'm all for freedom of information, but if you want to post about some commercial site selling a headphone for a good deal, post it in the headphone section, don't introduce confusion to some poor guy's for sale thread. If you don't want to buy, don't buy.

Things like this make people like me want to just post on eBay or Audiogon to start with qhwn I have something for sale and don't already know someone who wants it privately.

Anyway, elnero, the guy did you a favor--I told you to hang on to those 580s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back