Should I Add Ultrasone HFI 580's to my Collection?
Nov 25, 2012 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JasonZ10

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry for making a thread, I know there's tons already, but I need a quick answer since I found a really good sale on the HFI580's, and I don't want it to expire before I make a decision.

So I have the HD598's(Home use), and HD 25-1 ii's(Outside/travel use), and I'd like a versatile, bass-heavy pair of headphones.

I have two friends with Sony XB headphones (500, 700), so I know that there are definitely headphones out there with a lot more bass and punch than my current two, but would the HFI 580's really sound much different/better than my HD 25's? I've heard people call HD 25-1 ii's basshead headphones, but I don't find they have much punch until they're pretty loud.

I'd like to have headphones that are good for electronic and hip hop music, that I can throw in a backpack and not worry about them getting damaged. Good bass is a must, and I want to try to spend <$250. Are HFI580's a good option? I've also looked at the DT 770 and those look viable as well.

Edit: I know the Darth Beyers are the ****. I want them but I can't justify $500 on one pair yet.

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 7
Bump

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 7
JazonZ10,the Darth Beyers are supposed to be Bass cans?I know about the guy and the site of his own,but i am just to lazy and drunk right now.
I can't help you about the Ultrasone's,but if it could be useful,i am planning in buying a second pair of headphone,just for EDM,so pretty bassy,and many says that the Hfi-580 are pretty good ,but it not seem to be unanimous among people there.
You may ask some MalVeauX advise,the guy know what he's talking about.

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
JazonZ10,the Darth Beyers are supposed to be Bass cans?I know about the guy and the site of his own,but i am just to lazy and drunk right now.

Apparently the DT770's are really good all around cans, but the sub bass is mediocre, and the Darth Beyers are supposed to totally fix that and give them the perfect sounding bass and kick.

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I can't help you about the Ultrasone's,but if it could be useful,i am planning in buying a second pair of headphone,just for EDM,so pretty bassy,and many says that the Hfi-580 are pretty good ,but it not seem to be unanimous among people there.
You may ask some MalVeauX advise,the guy know what he's talking about.

Yeh when it comes to basshead cans ask MalVeaux

Nov 27, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 7
Heya,

The HFI580 is actually excellent for what you're looking for. It has enough balance to not sound wonky like some bassy headphones (XB500...). Good texture, deep tight bass, plenty of punch and impact. Mids are not completely destroyed and treble has a sparkle to it, but doesn't quite lobotomize you (like the PRO900 which does). It's a rugged headphone, built well, hard durable plastic and some metal, with a nice finish that is classy. It will survive the backpack. It's also relatively low profile, not a massive headphone, but not a tiny little on-ear thing either, so getting a seal is no problem unless you have completely funky anatomy that is outside the norm.

One of the neat things about going after bass is that you don't have to get a headphone that is really bassy on it's own necessarily. Fiio has some fantastic little gems that are inexpensive and add a whole new world of bass to the line up. Digizoid also produces an option as well. There are others, but those two really work well in my experience with increasing bass without turning it into a distorted mess. The Fiio E6 is the least expensive, if you want to just add some quick bass, you put it inline and even though it's an amplifier (small with minimal output) it has EQ options for adding bass which works well. The Fiio E11 is the next step up to do the same thing, but to also have significantly better amplification for a headphone that requires or at least benefits from extra current or voltage (such as an 80ohm Beyer DT770 PRO). The Digizoid ZO and ZO2 are some alternatives that also work well. Take a flat headphone, add one of these, instantly basshead. And if you add them to a bassy headphone, you get earthquake. I recommend finding a used one to keep costs down.

Other headphones to consider:

Ultrasone PRO 750
M-Audio Q40
AudioTechnica PRO700MK2
Beyer DT770 PRO 80ohm
Beyer Custom One's
AKG K167

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back