Shostakovich Symphonies
Dec 1, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #436 of 470
Maazel is very frustrating. His conducting ranges from the sublime to the ridiculous. Fortunately, Tchaikovsky is one composer who brings out the best in him: Romeo and Juliet on Telarc is one of the best ever of that overplayed work. Staggering playing from the Clevelanders (what else?) , superb sound, and a reading that plays it to the hilt. It's a weird pairing, to be sure. But a great buy from Telarc.

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #437 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to bump this thread:

I'm looking a good performace of his 5th. I've poured over most of this thread and am familiar with most of the major versions but can't come to a conclusion as to which is the best. The only helpful suggestion I can offer is that I perfer well recorded pieces as opposed to a darker, more closed-in recording. Who should it be? Rostropovich and the LSO? Haitink? Bernstien? Anything else?

If you happen to have a vinyl rig, the 1958 Bernstein (my favorite 5th) was just re-released in a wonderful vinyl edition.

Dec 26, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #439 of 470
Ok. Bump again. Sorry.

Checking with Amazon Japan, they say Maazel's 5th will take 5 weeks to get here. hehe. I don't want to wait that long. (I really wanted it because I wanted the Tch R&J too.) I guess they sold all the copies in Japan over Christmas. Is Bernstein's 5th on CD a good substitute? I'm kind of stuck with the choices of Levi's 5th and 9th or Bernstein's 5th and 9th.

Amazon.co.jpF Shostakovich: Symphony No. 5; Symphony No. 9: ‰¹Šy: Dmitry Shostakovich,Yoel Levi,Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
Amazon.co.jpF Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 9: ‰¹Šy: Dmitry Shostakovich,Leonard Bernstein,New York Philharmonic

In head-fi we trust!!

Dec 26, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #440 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm kind of stuck with the choices of Levi's 5th and 9th or Bernstein's 5th and 9th.
[/url]

In head-fi we trust!!

Do it right, like DarkAngel: get the whole Rozhdestvensky set. The playing is second only to Kondrashin, and the sound is OK. (Considering). Plus you get 14 other symphonies to play with too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #442 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Xmas bump

I placed my holiday order with HMV Japan and finally put the Rozhy/Venetia complete set in the checkout basket......now the wait begins

My Rozhy set arrived from Japan several days ago and am almost finished with my initial list to complete set..........

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:08 AM Post #443 of 470
I am interested to know which 2-3 symphonies, works of Shostakovich would be a good introduction to a newbie and which particular recording (if available). Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Edit: I know asked before regarding Shostakovich, but it was a complete set. I rather not hammer myself with an entire set, but instead 2-3 symphonies to get the feeling of Shostakovich.

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #444 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by Facade19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am interested to know which 2-3 symphonies, works of Shostakovich would be a good introduction to a newbie and which particular recording (if available). Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Edit: I know asked before regarding Shostakovich, but it was a complete set. I rather not hammer myself with an entire set, but instead 2-3 symphonies to get the feeling of Shostakovich.

For relative easy melodic listening S6 + S9, for more depth/intensity S5 + S8.
A popular coupling is Shosty 5 + 9, here are some good CDs cheap used:

31AqEWdW7iL._AA115_.jpg
21SBS47JWNL._AA115_.jpg
21MaZyy58wL._AA115_.jpg
31F0S1QTXGL._AA115_.jpg

Bernstein/Sony
Levi/Telarc
Gergiev/Phillips
Haitink/London

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #445 of 470
Haven't read the whole thread but I downloaded his Piano Concerto 1 and 2 from in Flac from The Philadelphia Orchestra.

I'm impressed with the music, quality of the recording and the performance. Nice ambient noises, coughs etc, add to the illusion.

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #446 of 470
The 5/9 coupling is a good place to start, but if you want to really hear what Shostakovich is all about, I'd also get 4/10/11.

Jan 13, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #447 of 470
My school library has a few recordings of Shostakovich's symphonies, such as the 5th, 8th, 9th, 10th and 13th. Haitink, Karajan and Bernstein. So once I have a chance I am going to check them out and see how I like them. Thanks for the recommendations btw!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #448 of 470
Yesterday, finally, my complete Shostakovich cycle arrived (Haintink/RCO and LPO on DECCA).
I got it new for $53. Just could not say no.
So far listened to the 5th, 7th and 9th. Of course the 5th has to be my favorite so far.
I would have listened to more symphonies of Shostakovich, but I purchased a complete set of Nielsen's symphonies Wednesday night (Blomstedt/Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra/EMI Classics). Dang I am in symphony heaven right now. Not only that, but Bax's complete cycle around here too and some Vaughan Williams I think I will refrain myself from buying any cd's for a very long time.

Apr 6, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #449 of 470
The other day I found at a thrift store, Shostakovich's 5th by the Royal Philharmonic conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras. It's a really nice recording. It's OOP, but available used on Amazon. I don't have anything to compare it to. The only other Shostakovich symphonies I've heard is the Bernstein 5th and 9th that have been recommended. I got those out of the library a year ago or so.

l64961c8h9a.jpg

May 17, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #450 of 470
My library has the Ashkenazy set of Shosty's symphonies and other orchestral works. I checked it out for a few days now and some of these performances are great. Need more listening time before I can fully compare Ashkenazy and Haitink. However I still want the Gergiev set, really for # 4, 7 and 8. I also noted that my library carries Bernstein's 7th and Karajan's 10th. Have to check them out once I have returned the Ashkenazy set.

Before I press the post button: Shostakovich's symphonies are are absolutely fascinating and tense. Exactly what I love. I cannot really explain it, but when I listen to Shostakovich's symphony I feel as if I am hearing Mahler. Especially, I think so at least, the way Shostakovich uses the woodwinds to mess with time and uses the strings to alter once perception of space. I get this out of Mahler and I am getting this feeling from Shostakovich as well. Just some brilliant stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back