Shostakovich Symphonies
Mar 29, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #376 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerelybonto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know anything about this symphonic cycle by Kondrashin on Melodiya? Apparently it's a new issue (Jan. 15, 2007). Will it be released in the United States? This new cycle has one more disc than does this version (11 to 10) -- think they fiddled with anything besideds the layout?

Thanks,

Eric

Eric,
You can buy it here, from a US shipper:
http://www.russiandvd.com/store/prod...33905&lang=eng

Select the preview. It'll play a whole CD! I've heard many versions of Shostakovich's various symphonies, loving his music since my early teens. These performances nearly blew me out of my chair, being very exciting without being showy or over blown.

I just bought this set for my brother, for his 50th.

Dave

Mar 29, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #377 of 470
I think that all of these sets (Melodiya, Aulos, Venezia) are using the same symphonies in the same mastering or remastering. The only differences will be in the liner notes, covers and/or other filler pieces. I doubt the sound quality will be very different from one set to another. You will still be listening to the very variable Russian 1960s recorded sound, which is never going to be top quality, no matter which set you decide to buy. With these recordings, you are buying for the interpretations which are probably some of the best ever recorded. Make your choice according to whether you want the concertos with the symphonies and by the prices being asked.

Apr 21, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #378 of 470
This is an amazing thread ! , and I've yet to work my way through all of it, but will post a Question here for the interim, whilst I proceed with the back reading ...

Symphony #4 is my very favorite, albeit by a short whisker only !

To all enthusiasts who have recordings of Kondrashin's original recording, whether on vinyl LPs or on the various CD re-issues, I would be grateful for any comments about an apparently audible anomoly that occurs in the First Movement at about 15'50".
One reviewer of that new Melodiya box set from Russia says :-

" ... there is a bizzare moment where the entire Orchestra suddenly appears to decamp into a narrow but very resonant bathroom - some kind of emergency repair work no doubt. I don't have the Aulos set to compare results."

Can any owners of the Aulos or Venezia sets, or of any of the earlier issues post whether this occurs at that point in their recordings, and to what degree it intrudes ?

If it is result of deterioration of the original tape then it may have occurred gradually over time, or more catastrophically at some point - such as when the old tape was stretched yet again at a later re-mastering session.

Unfortunately for me, my Russian Melodiya 2LP is in storage in another city. I haven't heard it for a long time, but I don't remember a major fault at that point.
{Recently I have been listening to Maxim S's Prague live concert version on CD - released a few years ago singly - the version in the new Supraphon box set is a re-issue of that.}

I accept that old tapes deteriorate, and that if a performance is worth hearing it is worth enduring the audible annomolies.

I have only three of Shost. Symph's of Kondrashin's Moscow recordings and am curious to hear him conducting some of the others, plus I would like to own a CD of his of #4 , thus I am wishing to decide which of the box sets to buy, or whether it's better to look around for 2nd hand copies of earlier CD issues - if the above-described anomoly is on those to lesser degree, or not at all .
Any comments by hearers of this recorded performance will be gratefully received ..?..

__________________________________________________ _____________

For any-one wondering about Maxim's conducting of #4 - it is very satisfying for almost the entire work. One minor disappointment is that the Orchestra does not fade away to silence quite as effectively at the very end as is possible - I have still the memory here of a live Concert conducted by Andrei Lazarev a few years ago where that ending was magical {not the optimum choice of word to describe it - I regret I have a limited Vocabulary - what is a better word or words to describe that ending ?}.
I have been informed that Haitink conducts this part very well, thus hope to hear his recording at some time, even if only for that section.

Back to Maxim Shost. - if you have read the "Gramophone" review by David Gutman of the Supraphon box set-{too brief, and dismissive to the point of condescending in part, for a review of Fifteen Symphonies conducted by some-one who knows more of what they are about than Gutman is likely to !}- then I strongly recommend you ignore him and read a few others, or post queries, or listen for yourself. Gutman does not like any of Maxim's recordings - in few year's past Gramophone reviews - thus I do not know why the Editor continues to give him Maxim's to review - surely it would make sense to give them to another reviewer !
A more experienced Shostakovich listener than I, and one who reads the Scores, says that Maxim presents that #4 as it is written in the Score, and that most Conductors don't. Yes, there is more to Performance than simply fidelity to a printed page, but I can't hear any major factor lacking in that performance, and Maxim would undoubtably have discussed that Symphony with his father at some time !
Well, listeners are entitled to choose what-ever interpretations they prefer, and most will, though one should be given a fair exposure to what is available - as seems to be happening in this Thread ! - thus why I"ve commented as above.

Has any-one here been to a Concert with Maxim conducting ?

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #379 of 470

Yes, I have. He did an all-Russian program: Ruslan & Ludmila overture, Tchaik. violin concerto (Kyung Wa Chung) and then dad's 5th symphony. He is a competent, but not great conductor. The orchestra enjoyed him personally -- he is very cordial and genuinely affectionate. But there isn't that spark of brilliance that great conducting brings with it. He's no Bernstein, Solti, Muti, etc. The 5th was well done, but the 3rd movement didn't rip your heart out, flawlessly played though it was. The last movement he took the revisionist stand and dragged the coda out mercilessly, an approach I don't care for anyway. The last few bars can lift you out of your seat if it's done well. Just goes to show that just because you come from one gene pool doesn't mean that genius is handed down...

Apr 21, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #380 of 470
MB
I wish London/Decca would collect together in one set all the Shosty symphonies that exist by Solti/CSO, I have a couple of them and his dramatic style fits very well with these works.......very hard to find and expensive now

Also Sony could do the same for Bernstein especially if they could obtain the publishing rights to his DG/CSO 1,7 and collect them all together. I really like the few early NYPO performances I have.........

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #381 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 5th was well done, but the 3rd movement didn't rip your heart out, flawlessly played though it was. The last movement he took the revisionist stand and dragged the coda out mercilessly, an approach I don't care for anyway. The last few bars can lift you out of your seat if it's done well. Just goes to show that just because you come from one gene pool doesn't mean that genius is handed down...

Hi mbhaub,
thankyou for your comments and report of concert.
If you would like to hear Maxim conducting "rip your heart out", I thoroughly recommend you listen to the recently released CD on Warner Classics of both Shostakovich's Violin Concertos - played by Daniel Hope, and with Maxim conducting. Some of that music in the 3rd movement of Symph. #5 sounds very much to me the initial idea which Shost. then developed further for his 1st Violin Concerto, and in the Violin Concerto we get it in the context of a complete work of related, sequential ideas - rather like going on a journey, as distinct from in the 5th Symphony where it is delibrately put there as one of 4 distinct statements Shost. decided he needed to make.
Maxim will know all this - and why - to greater degree than we do, and I think this is likely the reason he conducts the various works the way he does, as distinct from some of the ways other Conductors have presented them.
Remember the Title of the 5th Symph. and consider what Shost. may have intended each movement to sound like in performance.
Yes, once a Work has been published any Conductor can peform it how-ever he wishes and put into that the emphasis he wants to make, including using the music to tell some other story than the Composer's - you will have heard some do this with various Composer's works.
Yes, listeners are entitled to prefer adaptions they can apply to their own lives, etc ...
If I've understood the situation of that period of Shost's predicament correctly, then dragging the Coda out mercilessly is quite valid , however, I don't care for it either ! If I was to attend a Concert including 5th Symph., I would endeavour to leave -{quietly and quickly}- at the end of the 3rd movement. I don't want to hear any of the 4th movement, as it sounds like a delibrate caricature of the type of older Russian music that the Powers-that-were wanted him to compose, thus he gave them a B-grade version of such !
One can hear that type of music composed A-grade in some of Tchaikovsky's Symph's - much better quality, and Shost, seems to have intended that - to show the tin-ears what he thought of them and their expectations for Production-Line music.
{The "business" is little different today - consider what is not only churned out in popular music forms delibrately cliched Saleable for people of all age groups, but also in co-opting Classical music styles for such, including in some Film sound-tracks, and it has always been that way - listen to some of what Mozart composed for specific people or circumstances.}

"Genius" usually isn't handed down, but some form of Talent usually does appear in the child of a talented parent. Maxim may not be the ideal conductor of all his father's Symphonies -{and it seems that no conductor is, nor do I expect any single to be given the substantial diversity of styles across, and inspirations preceding, 15 Symphonies}- however it does seem he is attempting to give the World the intentions of his father. For some works he will achieve this better than for others.
Have you heard his conducting with Heinrich Schiff playing both the Cello Concertos, released by Philips years ago ? That recording has an amazing coherence and seeming unity in thinking by both Conductor and Soloist that is rarely achieved.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Hi Dark Angel,
I haven't heard all of Solti's Shost. recordings as his of Symph. #8 was more than enough to put me off him for Shost., and to such degree that I didn't listen to all of that one as it fell so far short of the standard of Mravinsky's first recording -{very old and poor quality sound}- for example, Solti didn't seem to know what the solo woodwind instrument piece - at about 17 minutes into the 1st movement - should be presented as, etc ...
Several Conductors have recorded this Symph. in ways I prefer, but perhaps Solti got it together for the other Symph's he recorded, as you like them.

Bernstein recorded the 7th with NYPO for Columbia in the USA way back around the time of his others for them, now owned by Sony, thus it is not likely Sony would agree to a joint release with D.G. for theirs.
I haven't heard Bernstein's D.G. 7th, but will if I get the opportunity.
As regards his older version, well if you can find a copy of Svetlanov's Russian recording of that time, released by Melodiya, you may not want the older Bernstein version ! Svetlanov made more sense of the 7th to me than others I have heard, though I haven't heard Ancerl's recording.
__________________________________________________ _______________

I'm still very much wanting to read any information any owners of Kondrashin's Russian recording of Symph. #4 can post about the audible anomoly I described in my post #378 above.
Such would be quite obviously audible through Headphones if on your recording.

Thankyou in anticipation , Chris.

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #382 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, I have. He did an all-Russian program: Ruslan & Ludmila overture, Tchaik. violin concerto (Kyung Wa Chung) and then dad's 5th symphony. He is a competent, but not great conductor. The orchestra enjoyed him personally -- he is very cordial and genuinely affectionate. But there isn't that spark of brilliance that great conducting brings with it. He's no Bernstein, Solti, Muti, etc. The 5th was well done, but the 3rd movement didn't rip your heart out, flawlessly played though it was. The last movement he took the revisionist stand and dragged the coda out mercilessly, an approach I don't care for anyway. The last few bars can lift you out of your seat if it's done well. Just goes to show that just because you come from one gene pool doesn't mean that genius is handed down...

I guess I prefer the "revisionist" version :)

I've never heard Maxim conduct the 5th.. I'll have to see if the library has it. I could see how it wouldn't work if the coda was stretched to the point of having no fire, but if it's done right, that's how I like to hear it. I guess my reference would be Rostropovich. Actually I have the Muti right here, maybe I'll give it another listen..

-jar

Apr 24, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #383 of 470
Masonjar;2901714 said:
I guess I prefer the "revisionist" version :)

I also prefer the revisionist approach if done with subtlety. A good compromise is Ashkenazy originally on Decca but now on Universal, I think ex Soviets on Western orchestras have often been the best compromise. The 5th symphony for me can withstand a lot of different approaches as can most great music, they just need to be well executed and receive open minded ears, as in such diverse recordings as Bernstein, romantic or Kondrashin more wild and gritty or Stokowski. I have seen it live with Ashkenazy, Wigglesworth (very exciting and original), Haitink, Fedosoyev, Rostopovich and Masur and all except Masur were very convincing, in radically different ways.
On the subject of Solti, I also do not find him very convincing in this repertoire, he came to it late and to my ears never really "got" the idiom, which is strange for such a great Mahler conductor.

Apr 26, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #384 of 470
I don't agree with either interpretation of Shosty 5! To me, rather than sounding like celebration, ironic or otherwise, it simply represent awe at something vast and inhuman, like a massive glacier (or the unstoppable meatgrinder of the Soviet system). I think it's the closest he got to sounding like Sibelius.

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #386 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish London/Decca would collect together in one set all the Shosty symphonies that exist by Solti/CSO, I have a couple of them and his dramatic style fits very well with these works.......very hard to find and expensive now

Dark Angel, I should have included in my previous comment, if you would like to hear "dramatic style" in a modern recording with Symph.#8 have a listen to Jansons on EMI.
He doesn't conduct the 1st and 2nd movements quite as well as Mravinsky, though is still listenable for those, however with movements 3;4;5, when I'm listening to Jansons' recording I'm not thinking about any other Conductors. Awesome power in those latter movements here !

The recording is compiled from either 2 or 3 Live Concerts.
Originally EMI were not going to continue with Jansons' cycle at that point, so the Orchestra paid for the recording and EMI agreed to release a limited number of copies - stupid, because it seems to have sold out and EMI have not released any more single copies, thus it is now only in the Box Set, but if you search around you may find a copy.
I think he does #8 better than those of the others I have heard, but there could be others in the set done as well.

__________________________________________________ _____________

eyeresist,

interesting that you make the point about Sibelius, as I've heard some of his Works and like, and will be listening to some more.
Any Sibelius work in particular that is similar sounding to the part, or parts, you are thinking about in Shost.'s #5 ?

regards,

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #387 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris-2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interesting that you make the point about Sibelius, as I've heard some of his Works and like, and will be listening to some more.
Any Sibelius work in particular that is similar sounding to the part, or parts, you are thinking about in Shost.'s #5 ?

I don't think I can can cite specifically similar passages, but the sense of epic spaciousness in Shosty 5 4th movement reminds me of the final movements of Sibelius 2 and 5, as well as all of Sibelius 6 and 7. I'm not in a position to do a listening comparison just now, so don't take this as gospel.

Re your recommend of Jansons, I found Ashkenazy had a slight edge over him in Rachmaninov, certainly in vibrancy of sound recording, though their approaches weren't too different. I'll certainly be checking out Mravinsky's performance at some point - my understanding is that his late performances are his best. Certainly his 1980 Bruckner 9 is amazing!

May 3, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #388 of 470
Thanks eyeresist for the Shost./Sibelius info - I have heard Sibelius Symph's #'s 2 ; 5 ; 6 , and liked all of those thus I'll listen again with Shost's #5 in mind.
I now remember reading somewhere that Shost. liked some of Sibelius' works, thus its not surprising he may have some instances of that as influence in some of his own works.
I intend to hear Sibelius' #7 when the opportunity presents -{and also #3}.
I haven't bought a box-set of his because I did not particually like his 1st Symph. , other than a few parts, and did not like his 4th at all.
-{I'll post about him in the Sibelius thread in this Forum later}.

I have Ashkenazy's Decca box-set of Rachmaninov's three Symph's + The Bells + Isle of the Dead + Symphonic Dances , and Jansons' of Symph.#3 + Isle of the Dead, but haven't done comparison because so far I quite like both conductors' versions of those two works, but after some more listening I'll probably hear the differences in aspects of performance.

There are at least four recordings by Mravinsky of Shost.#8 :- his original I have heard only twice -{on the Radio}- and sound quality is poor, especially in loud passages, but it is a great performance. I don't know if it is still available.
I have his 1960 live concert recording on the BBC CD - it is a very good performance, and the sound is more than good enough. The Audience coughing is sparse and not intrusively loud, and when such does occur it simply adds to the Presence effect as if one is at the concert !
Hear that version via headphones also !!
There is a 1961 live concert recording from Leningrad which I do not have a copy, but will probably get one -{as this is one of my favorite works!}- I read earlier in this Thread that Dark Angel has a copy of that version - it is in the set from Russian DVD, and also available separately from them as Volume 8 from that set.
I have heard his 1982 live concert recording - once only and from the Philips' CD release - and I did not like it, but that may be because it was Mastered incorrectly and is apparently about a semi-tone sharp in pitch -{and perhaps also slightly inreased in Tempo as result}- thus the unnatural effect of that may have been what made it sound irritating to me - "unnatural" because it is an Electronic error, and such changes the Timbre in a way that simply playing the Instruments a semitone sharper wouldn't.
That performance was released by one other Company in the faulty mastering, and by another Company in correct pitch.
It has recently been re-released by Regis Records on CD, but I do not know yet at what pitch, though Regis note it was re-mastered for them, so here's hoping !
The sound quality of the Philips issue was OK, thus I expect the Regis will be also.

May 3, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #389 of 470
Hah, Dark Angel, I see that you have Jansons' set, thus you will have heard his of #8 - any comments about 3rd, 4th and 5th movements ?
I see you prefer Litton's version - well I'll be please if he has returned to good form, as I liked one of his Tchaikovsky recordings years ago, but later his first recording of Shost.#10 -{on Virgin Classics}- was dreadful - perhaps why he has recorded it again ...
__________________________________________________ _________________

Jarvi has recorded Shost's #'s 2 & 3 - I have seen the Deutsche Grammaphon CD - both on the one CD.
__________________________________________________ _________________

It seems you don't particually like Symph.#4 - strange, as this is a great work, but not everyone likes every great work, and I certainly don't, but in the context of some of the Shost. Symph's you do like I am surprised !

Is this regardless of whose version ?

I see you have by Kondrashin ; Jarvi ; Maxim S. - all of whose I like - and Jansons - whose I have only heard part of to date.

May 3, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #390 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris-2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hah, Dark Angel, I see that you have Jansons' set, thus you will have heard his of #8 - any comments about 3rd, 4th and 5th movements ?
I see you prefer Litton's version - well I'll be please if he has returned to good form, as I liked one of his Tchaikovsky recordings years ago, but later his first recording of Shost.#10 -{on Virgin Classics}- was dreadful - perhaps why he has recorded it again ...

Jarvi has recorded Shost's #'s 2 & 3 - I have seen the Deutsche Grammaphon CD - both on the one CD.

It seems you don't particually like Symph.#4 - strange, as this is a great work, but not everyone likes every great work, and I certainly don't, but in the context of some of the Shost. Symph's you do like I am surprised !
Is this regardless of whose version ?
I see you have by Kondrashin ; Jarvi ; Maxim S. - all of whose I like - and Jansons - whose I have only heard part of to date.

I have not listened to any Shosty for a few months, lately been further exploring Bruckner's mystical symphonies.

I don't specifically recall details of Janson's S8 from complete set, but my favorite 8ths are Mravinsky/BBC Legends & Jarvi/Chandos. The Litton S8 is impressive with excellent sound quality, but very difficult to match the inate understanding of Russian psyche that Mravinsky brings to the table. Perhaps I will revisit Jansons S8 soon to see if he impresses me in the same fashion

My full appreciation of Shostakovich was not sealed till couple years ago when I obtained the Kondrashin/Aulos and Mravinsky/Melodiya collections, these were a revalation to me with thier great dramatic intensity! Hard to go back now and listen previous western versions like Haitink set, you now know what is missing...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back