Shostakovich Symphonies
Jan 29, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #361 of 470
Well, I've just started listening to the new Maxim Shostakovich set.

I was a little ambivalent at first because, as a former brass player, a solid trumpet section is very important to me. The Czech orchestra represented here is less prominent than I'm used to, (DH called them "watery"), and as a result it takes some getting used to. For example, my first listen (as is always the case with Shosty sets) was the 7th, and my mind kept wandering back to the magnificent Bernstein/CSO resording (not a fair comparison I know). But then, in that same listen, I noticed the incredible inner detail (specifically the woodwinds) that others have commented on and that makes this a special set. I would say that this 7th has the best third movement of any I've ever heard.

I'e been through 1-4 as well, and the same general rule applies. All in all this seems like a very solid set, unique and worthwhile for its woodwind emphasis. So far it does not threaten to topple Kondrashin interpretively, but I am still too early in it to make any sweeping statements. Sound is good - but nowhere near Kitajenko.

So far, I hold my recommendation of Kondrashin for performance and Kitajenko for sound, with miscellaneous single works thrown in. Maxim makes a very interesting addition, especially for those interested in hearing a new sonic balance. Shosty continues to present new depths for me - I'm solidly in his camp of admirers.

Would love to hear others' comments. I still reserve the right to change my mind after hearing the whole thing...

Jan 29, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #362 of 470
Update:

Listened to Rozhdestvensky 5 and 6 today. The 5 triumphantly marched to the top of my list. It's extraordinary. A whirlwind of a performance that is terrifying, beautiful, haunting, and bitter all at once. It's really in a different class than any other interpretation I've heard. The sound is actually quite good, although there is some breakup at the dynamic peaks and some spotlighting. But it's much better than the anemic sound quality of the Kondrashin 5.

The 6th was also very good. I don't know the piece as well so it's harder for me to make solid comparisons, but it's my favorite of the versions I know. I haven't listened to the Kondrashin or Mravinsky 6s yet, so I'm interested to see how they stack up.

I still have a lot of listening to do, but from what I've listened to so far, these Kondrashin and Rozhd sets on Venezia are a fantastic bargain for essential Shostakovich recordings. Snap them up from HMV as soon as possible. You never know when they'll be unavailable again.

-Jay

Jan 29, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #363 of 470
I would like to get a Kondrashin set, but there are so many options. Melodiya, Aulos, Venezia... Which has the best SQ?

I also recently bought this set and it's great. Sure, the content is not as deep or dramatic or personal as his symphonies. It's Shostakovich-lite, but very fun and easy to listen to, with some very catchy Russian tunes and some Shosty touches thrown in.

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #364 of 470
I would go for the Venezia set. I can't say for sure yet since I haven't had a chance to compare back to back, but my guess is that the sound quality on the Aulos set is no better than that of the Venezia. And at ~$65 cheaper, I'd say it's an easy choice.

I couldn't find a single person on this forum or any of the other music forums I frequent that owned the Venezia set, but I decided to take the risk and go that route rather than dropping $100 on the Aulos. I'm really glad that I did.

-Jay

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #365 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to get a Kondrashin set, but there are so many options. Melodiya, Aulos, Venezia... Which has the best SQ?

I also recently bought this set and it's great. Sure, the content is not as deep or dramatic or personal as his symphonies. It's Shostakovich-lite, but very fun and easy to listen to, with some very catchy Russian tunes and some Shosty touches thrown in.

That Kuchar recording (pictured below) sounds very interesting. I wouldn't be so deprecating about Shosty's ballet and film music, it's really excellent even if more accessible than some of his symphonic works. I just bought Kuchar's Prokofiev (or Prokofieff for the transliteration sticklers) symphonies (Naxos white box) and I have to say that I prefer those to the recent Gergiev cycle which is just too dark for my taste. His Nielsen symphonies (Brilliant Classics) is also excellent so I'll bet this Shosty recording is extremely good.

B00067GL5A.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1121812644_.jpg
B0001FYR0S.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1130460971_.jpg
B000EDWM2M.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1138831414_.jpg

Feb 1, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #366 of 470
Bunny, do you have any impressions on the Rhozdestvensky box to share yet? I'm curious to hear what you think.

Since my unlistened CD stack is currently massive (when is it ever not?), the 5th and 6th are still the only ones I have listened to so far, but more to come later.

-Jay

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #367 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bunny, do you have any impressions on the Rhozdestvensky box to share yet? I'm curious to hear what you think.

Since my unlistened CD stack is currently massive (when is it ever not?), the 5th and 6th are still the only ones I have listened to so far, but more to come later.

-Jay

Things have been very hectic in my household for various reasons. I haven't been able to listen to anything that's not on my ipod in weeks.
frown.gif

However, the Caetani Shosty cycle was reviewed by Christophe Huss at ClassicsToday France. He gave the cycle an 8/9 rating, and says the 13th (Babi Yar) is most comparable to Mark Wigglesworth's recording of the same, but that Wigglesworth is better. You can read the whole thing here. The opinions of Huss and Hurwitz usually are pretty close but there are some differences of opinion between the two. It will be interesting to see what C/T makes of the cycle. Pascal Brissaud of C/T France has also rated Kitajenko's Shosty 8 and really panned it with a 4/7 rating. Joseph Stevenson at Classics today gave the cycle it came from a 9/9, although it does say that the sound quality of the live recordings (includes No. 8) is not great and he doesn't include the 8th in his list of the "best of the set." This really demonstrates how taste and critical opinion can vary.

I haven't been able to find any reviews of the Rozhy, but from everything I have read, I'm preparing myself for really dismal sound quality.

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #368 of 470
I was expecting really dismal sound quality from the Rozhy also. I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the 5/6 disc on that front. It wasn't great by any means, but it was a whole heap better than what I was expecting from what I read. Whether or not that will hold up for the rest of the symphonies in the set, I can't say.

-Jay

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #369 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was expecting really dismal sound quality from the Rozhy also. I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the 5/6 disc on that front. It wasn't great by any means, but it was a whole heap better than what I was expecting from what I read. Whether or not that will hold up for the rest of the symphonies in the set, I can't say.

-Jay

That is so encouraging. Hopefully, I'll be able to sit and enjoy soon. My stack of unopened is just piling up, and I haven't been able to rip anything either because of the chaos here.

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #370 of 470
I know how that is. My unopened stack is huge, and doesn't seem to shrink even though I have been doing a lot of listening. That's a good thing I guess, except for when people here are waiting to hear what I think of something. Or when I'm ready to listen to something new and I have to choose one CD from the stack.

-Jay

Mar 29, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #372 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerelybonto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know anything about this symphonic cycle by Kondrashin on Melodiya? Apparently it's a new issue (Jan. 15, 2007). Will it be released in the United States? This new cycle has one more disc than does this version (11 to 10) -- think they fiddled with anything besideds the layout?

Thanks,

Eric

I'm fairly certain those are the same recordings that came out on the aulos box that a few of us bought a while back. Definitive is a word I rarely use, but it's appropriate to these recordings. Other interpretations are good too, but IMO none of them get to the heart of Shosty like this one does. Rozhdestvensky comes close in many symphonies, but Kondrashin is just that little extra above.

Mar 29, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #373 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerelybonto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know anything about this symphonic cycle by Kondrashin on Melodiya? Apparently it's a new issue (Jan. 15, 2007). Will it be released in the United States? This new cycle has one more disc than does this version (11 to 10) -- think they fiddled with anything besideds the layout?

Thanks,

Eric

The later set includes some extras: most notably the violin concerto with David Oistrakh. There are also a few other things included as well, but otherwise it uses the same symphony recordings as the earlier Aulos set.

Mar 29, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #374 of 470
Okay, sounds good. No new mastering or anything?

Any word on whether the new Melodiya set is or will be available in the US? I seem only to be able to find it from European stores.

Thanks,

Eric

Mar 29, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #375 of 470
Hmm, and there also seems to be a third version of these recordings, released by the Russian label Venezia last year. (Bid at your peril!) It has the fifteen symphonies, two concertos, and, oddly, a second rendition of the 13th, all on twelve discs.

Eric

Edit: Originally described the set's contents wrongly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back