shorter headphone cords
Apr 10, 2003 at 3:48 PM Post #91 of 123
Thanks for keeping us updated, Don. You might be surprised at just how many people would wrap the cords over their ears, though. Given the staggering number of times I've seen the cord noise issue addressed, I'd imagine that a wrap-over design that eliminates this consideration would give you access to a wider market than the sit-still-and-listen group that seems to be the primary consumers of the 4P/S line at the moment. I, for one, am not yet an Ety owner for this reason but would be in a heartbeat if a Shure-shaped, but Ety-sounding option hit the market!

Apr 11, 2003 at 5:33 AM Post #92 of 123
Quote:

Originally posted by buster
You might be surprised at just how many people would wrap the cords over their ears, though. Given the staggering number of times I've seen the cord noise issue addressed, ...

I agree with buster here. I've seen quite a few posts where people recommend looping the wires over the ears to help reduce the microphonics. Here is an example thread - I know it features the ER6 but I'm pretty sure that similar threads have been here (and on headwize) featuring the ER4 as well.

Apr 11, 2003 at 6:32 PM Post #93 of 123
Quote:

Originally posted by Sugo
If a short cord ER-6 will be made, it would be really great to have an option for uneven length cord (right side longer than the left). ....................I understand many people complained about the old uneven cord with ER-6. But that was long cord. I think short cord with remote is a different story.

I didn't know that the uneven cord was discontinued
frown.gif

I really, really like the behind your head, uneven cord.

What style is the cord on the ER-4 series? Are all these plans for a new cord going to be for a front mount Y cord? I hope not.

Apr 11, 2003 at 9:10 PM Post #94 of 123
Quote:

Given the staggering number of times I've seen the cord noise issue addressed, I'd imagine that a wrap-over design that eliminates this consideration would give you access to a wider market than the sit-still-and-listen group that seems to be the primary consumers of the 4P/S line at the moment.

What is "staggering" on head-fi might not make a dent to most other people. If you think about it reports of the HD600 having a veil is also "staggering" but when it boils down to it, people are just being picky.

That isn't to say these aren't valid complaints but you need to understand the context. Ety's are already a good product and cord microphonics will not make or break it. Quite simply, you most likely won't be doing anything so active cause of isolation anyways.

Of course I do use the Fixup cord, which doesn't really have the problem of pressing the cord into my skin as the cord just dangles straight down...he's been through a lot of revisions and his final product IMO works well for being stealthy, ergonomic, and less microphonic. It definitely is a far way from the bare PCB prototypes.

I'd still love to see the braided cord cord and I happen to prefer even cord length. But its not like I'd pack up the Ety's and sell em if I didn't have the braided or Fixup cable.

Apr 12, 2003 at 6:08 AM Post #95 of 123
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
I didn't know that the uneven cord was discontinued
frown.gif

I really, really like the behind your head, uneven cord.

What style is the cord on the ER-4 series? Are all these plans for a new cord going to be for a front mount Y cord? I hope not.

'

i totally agree.

Apr 12, 2003 at 6:24 AM Post #96 of 123
errr, i don't think the er4 ever had uneven cords (so i don't think it could have been disabled).. Hmmm
these are interesting comments.
I just purchased the shure e2s.. and the over ear thing is very cool
biggrin.gif
.. takes a bit to get use to.. and putting into the ear and a bit troublesome.. but ive only had these earphones for a couple hours.. i guess it gets better over time.
For over the ear and behind back, i think the cord gets in the way. Because i usually carry my cd player (in a pouch) which i carry in my hand. The cord has to go around my ears, behind my back.. and then around my waist to the cd player.. sorta annoying if you ask me. As the cord (that goes down the back) gets yanked to one side. I guess if it was in my pocket.. it wouldnt be so bad. Perhaps you do the over ear, behind neck.. and then the left earphone doesn't go behind the back.. but in front (like the sony ones.. 888s and ex70s/71s/51s).. very cool indeeed.
BUTT, i do like the cord adjuster thingy on the shure.. that is a nice touch
biggrin.gif

derek

Apr 28, 2003 at 1:38 AM Post #97 of 123
A shorter cable would be very nice, when I first got my ER-4Ps I routinely got the wire caught on things (ouch!!). And if it reduced the microphonics? I would definitely stand in line for these.

May 8, 2003 at 2:08 PM Post #98 of 123
Quote:

Originally posted by d_wilson
How many of you are using products such as the newer iPod's with the remote control, that are looking for a shorter headphone cord?

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

My idea of the ultimate ipod earphones.

ER-4P's with a 30'' cord overall. Stright minijack. Standard stright wire 16'' long from the minijack to where the wire splits left & right. Twisted pair wires 14'' long from the left & right split up to the earphones. Oh and one more thing, everything in white to match my iPod.

May 9, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #99 of 123
One thing about the uneven cord length. If you wrap the cord over your ear, it works so well exiting the back side of the ear area. With my ER-6s the right side goes behind my neck and the left side runs down from my shoulder into a chest pocket where my amp is. This also makes the headphones less noticeable for those of us wearing these at work when there are rules against it.
BTW I wear glasses so going over the ear, the cord is held securely by the temples on my spectacles.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2003 at 1:51 AM Post #101 of 123
Quote:

Originally posted by cyberhazard
Oh and one more thing, everything in white to match my iPod.

time for candy colored etys!
biggrin.gif

...seriously though, it would be pretty cool if we could have different colors... transparent ER4s? Like the ER-20 plugs...

Jun 10, 2003 at 12:22 AM Post #102 of 123
I woud love to have a short cable so i could use it with my iPod remote but I dont want it so short that if I didnt want to use the remote i could still use it comfortably, im 6'5 so it might be a problem.

Jun 26, 2003 at 2:47 AM Post #104 of 123
We made some white ER-6 samples. They get ugly dirty real fast. Now I know why they make so any covers for the iPod.

Thinking of a "V" type braided cable with a clear slide piece to snug up the phones. I don't know of any other way to get the quality I want without a pod.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Jun 26, 2003 at 6:11 AM Post #105 of 123
Quote:

Originally posted by d_wilson

Thinking of a "V" type braided cable with a clear slide piece to snug up the phones. I don't know of any other way to get the quality I want without a pod.

Hmmm, that may be a good way to deal with microphonics. What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back