Shorter D2000 cable?
Mar 13, 2009 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

indydieselnut

500+ Head-Fier
I've been using my AH-D2000 'phones straight out of my iPod for the time being. The problem is that the stock cable is too long. I have NO experience modding headphone cables - what's the easiest way to shorten the cable? I do have a local hi-fi shop with a capable repairman...could I probably have that individual shorten the cable?

It's a tough call depending on how much they charge...if it's $50 and a recable is $200...I don't know. $150 is nothing to sneeze at but I'm almost wondering whether or not I should just have it done.

Any advice is welcome. FYI - should be getting my WA6SE sometime next week...I'm so excited!!

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 7
One question is - are you happy with your Denon's? IF the answer is yes.....take them into that store you mention and ask to have a new plug put on, and bye the way please shorten the cable to (whatever length you prefer - [4 1/2' is common portably]). For use at my desk, 2 yards (or meters) is good.
You should expect the shop to charge aprox $35 (or less).

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks, that's good advice. Yes, I'm enjoying the Denon's...even straight out of the iPod (I know, sacrilege).

I'll take them in and see what they say.

Mar 13, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 7
I'd like to try some soldering work sometime (last time I had an iron in my hand was back in my RC-car days as a kid!) but I'd like to start out on a less expensive item
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #6 of 7
It's not expensive at all. I just got a bunch of Neutrik plugs for $0.69 a piece. If you're just shortening the plug, that's what you're working on, not the headphones themselves. I say give it a whirl, its not that hard.

Mar 13, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 7
My advice would be (if you have funds) to go and buy some cheap plug, get a pair of cheapest dual entry headphones, chop off part of them and try to solder the plug on and if they work, do the same to Denons. If you don't have funds, I would take the "leap of faith" and try it because anyway, as you said, you've some kind of hi-fi shop near you and you can always go and ask him to do it, even if your try didn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back