Short review of the classic X-Canv2 and Mg-Head DT debate
Apr 9, 2002 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

vn412

100+ Head-Fier
After sampling both for a couple days and A-Bing them, there are definite differences and qualities that are good and bad. This review was done using Sennheiser HD-580s, which are supposed to shine on both amps. I listen to pretty much everything, but am not a big fan of country and metal. Since I don't feel like typing much and I'm sure this will open up quite a debate, I'm just going to make this short:

THE GOOD

MG-Head DT
----------------
Wider soundstage...not enough to blow you away, but there is an easy distinction
Mellow highs...sounds great with more contemporary recorded music. Music that uses samples (ie electronica, some r&b and rap) is less harsh
MUCH better bass...It is much deeper and richer

MF X-CAN V2
----------------
Superior instrument separation...you can easily tell the difference. There is a lot of detail that is unlocked with this amp! Jazz and classical are amazing with this amp since you can distinctly hear each instrument and where it is.
Great highs...this is what most ppl have commented on, which is female vocals. While it doesn't seem "right", it sounds really good! I find that classical music benefits as well (listen to any of Antonin Dvorak's works...violins sound amazing)

THE BAD

MG-Head DT
---------------
Volume control weak...I hate how its notched and doesn't allow you to pinpoint the exact volume level you want, whereas the X-can v2( while cheap-feeling) allows you to fully control the volume.
Almost too balanced...perhaps a different set of tubes would fix this up but there was nothing that really stood out and hit you in the face. I guess this is good with some recordings since the amp is accurate, but sometimes it isn't that fun to listen to.

MF X-CAN V2
----------------
Cheap volume control knob...its this cheap-feeling plastic knob that feels like it came from a cheap board game. They should replace it with the knobs JMT uses.
Bass becomes static-y at certain levels...when the bass is really deep (with pop music and r&b for example) it really sounds like crap. Perhaps an ART DI/O or that Corda Accentuator or whatever can fix this up, but for now bass is definitely not a strong point. I don't mean that it totally wrecks the amp, but it could be better.

THE BIG PICTURE

I would say both have their respective types of music. I definitely like classical, jazz, and anything using a SKILLED female vocalist with the X-Can v2. Even some rock and pop sounds better with the X-Can v2 as well, with its unique sound. The instrument separation is definitely something quite unique.

HOWEVER, the overall sound from the MG-Head is much cleaner and natural sounding. It is definitely good with all genres of music.

Its hard to discount either one...if someone were to ask me what I would bring to a desert island, I would not be able to choose since both have their distinct qualities.

THE END!!!!

Apr 9, 2002 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 23
supporting x-cans around here can get your house burned down.
biggrin.gif

I have just purchased X-cans v2 and even put back the stock tubes and are happy with the sound.

I cant compare the sound of the x-cans with any thing because i have not heard any other headphone amps yet. But the x-cans seems a nice little amp. I will go on the purchase a stack of other amps and headphones

I have been bitten by the bug
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 23
You may bring out the potential, & differences, in both amps when you start tube rollin them.

Because it is more cost effective, and to my ears the Head beats the X Cans V2 pants down, I prefer to roll the Head.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2002 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Ken
supporting x-cans around here can get your house burned down.
biggrin.gif

Lol! We are all not that bad are we?
very_evil_smiley.gif

You can fix a lot of the problems listed with the x-cans by getting the x-psu.
It really helps the bass response.

BTW, did the x-cans have the stock tubes?
I got very good results with the JJ teslas.
I didn't like the stock jan phillips at all.
frown.gif

One more thing.
Warmup time is a must!
This amp is better left on all the time.
(this is where the x-psu is a must. The stock wallwart overheats too easily)
I have found that it never really opened up until a 30 min warmup time min.

Apr 10, 2002 at 5:49 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman

You can fix a lot of the problems listed with the x-cans by getting the x-psu.
It really helps the bass response.

Absolutely. I'm also using RCA 6922's. Readers of Joe's Tube Lore will note that RCA didn't make 6922's. Mine have four ridges radiating from the top of the glass, and a number etched into the bottom between the pins... they sound good
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2002 at 8:26 AM Post #7 of 23
the xcan v2 had stock tubes (and was warmed up roughly 17 hours
smily_headphones1.gif
) while the mg head had been rolled....forget what exactly but ill check.

the xcan v2 is very unique, for sure. it is in no ways a bad amp, and i think it beats out all other amps in its price range hands down (260$ BRAND NEW!!!)

Apr 10, 2002 at 5:33 PM Post #11 of 23
Add ing the X-PSU does improve a lot of the X-can's short comings but at the current price it really put the combo in a different price sector.

And since it's discontinued over a year and a half ago, you'll be really lucky to find one new, it's be easier buying secondhand. Be prepare to pay at least the orginal retail price though, since the X-psu can power 4 X-ponents at once, anyone who has a X-can, X-dac, X-tone, X-pre, X-lp......would want one. As it improve performance in all of them, ebay and audiogon are probably your bet on getting one. And good luck

Apr 10, 2002 at 8:16 PM Post #12 of 23
I hadn't seen any X-PSU's for awhile, then a couple popped up on audiogon at $150 a couple of weeks ago. The combo puts the X-Can in a different price sector, but IMO it's worth it, at least with the right headphone.

Apr 11, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I hadn't seen any X-PSU's for awhile, then a couple popped up on audiogon at $150 a couple of weeks ago. The combo puts the X-Can in a different price sector, but IMO it's worth it, at least with the right headphone.

That headphone(s) being the Senn 580/600.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back