Short Review: "10,000 Days"
May 8, 2006 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Scotty757

500+ Head-Fier
78173364.jpg

Put this disc in a player in front of anyone under 30 in the United States, and the odds are that they will be able to tell you the band's name within 45 seconds of the opening track, "Vicarious." There is unquestionably a "Tool" sound, as unique as it is recognizable. Since the commercial success of their Junior record, Aenima, they have seemingly been given creative license to create as they see fit. Every record says something new about the band, and every record is strikingly unique. They release an album every half-decade, and seemingly re-invent themselves with every release. It is one of the mysterious strengths of Tool, that they can sound so completely different and still remain unmistakably Tool. Say what you will about the direction they take, they will do what they want.

On "10,000 Days," Tool take a direction they've only explored in bits and pieces before: melancholy. Gone here is much of the visceral anger found in their earlier work. This record is...dare I say it...sad. The title track gleans its name from the 27 years Maynard's mother spent paralyzed from a stroke before passing away recently. It is unquestionably the most hauntingly beautiful thing in Tool's catalogue. In essence, much of the record is a dirge for her. He explores his relationship with her, his feelings of ineptitude, and ultimately, how her condition corrupted his faith in God. The mixed-metaphors and skewed allusions of the past are largely stripped away for a much more straight-forward lyrical approach. This is no mere anger, folks, this is the man's soul, bared and open.

Don't be deceived, however, Tool can still throw down some headbanging rock `n roll. Tracks such as "Vicarious," "The Pot" (my favorite track), and "Rosetta Stoned" are still Tool at their rockin' best. The atmospheric tracks ("Lost Keys, "Virginti Trees," etc.) serve to fill the ambience of a complete album-listen, but are still a bit too much of the record.

My biggest disappointment with this record was the shift of focus off of Danny Carey. The drums were the lead vocalist on many tracks of Lateralus, a feature that contributed much to my personal enjoyment of the record. While he is still on top of his form in tracks such as "Vicarious" and "The Pot," there are several songs on this record with no drums whatsoever, much to my chagrin. Listening to Danny play the drums is one of my favorite legal things to do in the world, and I simply wish this record would have had more of him.

The production is, in typical Tool fashion, spot on. There is dynamic range in spades, and a complete lack of sibilance. This is a finely recorded, mixed, and produced record, of that you may be certain. The only real problem is in a small amount of clipping in the first two tracks, but this is relatively miniscule. Post-production is evident, but not overstated. Most notably used for the voice on "Rosetta Stoned," the post production work makes this track truly disturbing when listened to out of some decent headphones. It is immaculate.

In all, this is most definitely a Tool record, but a Tool record with a different focus. They are still making nu-metal, but-- as it is their right to do-- re-creating the genre. There is angry metal on this record, but it balanced by haunting beauty and tinged with sadness. A definite listen for anyone, and (of course) a must-own for any Tool fan.

May 8, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 37
pretty much my feelings. really like it though. makes me sad that some tool fans don't like it at all, because there are some really strong tracks on there...

anyway, I'm getting some rather odd clipping on vicarious and jambi (both playing from cd or playing uberstandard rips). kinda the same variety that plagues 'californication', except not nearly as bad.

The leaked version I downloaded (192 aac) had none of it, so i'm a bit miffed. bad disc? anyone else noticed similar?

May 8, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 37
Excellent review! After owning the album for a week, and giving it quite a bit longer to settle in, I find my feelings mirror yours. New sound, but same kickass band
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 8, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
Put this disc in a player in front of anyone under 30 in the United States, and the odds are that they will be able to tell you the band's name within 45 seconds of the opening track, "Vicarious."

. . . and what of us 'older' folks who can still do the same?
biggrin.gif

Not a tool fan, but I like this one.

May 8, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
. . . and what of us 'older' folks who can still do the same?
biggrin.gif

Not a tool fan, but I like this one.

Well, you're cooler than most of your contemporaries. I just wanted to get the demographic right...

May 8, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 37
Nice review Scotty. I agree mostly with what you say, even though it's important that you leave the lyrics open to any kind of interpretation. Maynard exploring his relationship to his late mother surely is the most obvious thing that can be found by listening to both Wings tracks, but it shouldn't ONLY be that. I love to think about other possibilities, as do Tool themselves mostly, which is why they never comment on their lyrics (and videos).

I haven't said anything about this album as of yet, and I never really wanted to, because I love it, and because I'm a huge Tool fan anyways. I'm biased. Nonetheless I think the tracks that most people refer to as "fillers" are as important as the actual songs. Lost Keys sets up the whole atmosphere for Rosetta Stoned, and Virginti Tres is a very nice closer for this spectacular piece of work.

PS: I thought they were making Progressive Metal and not Nu Metal (which is something like Slipknot isn't it)?
confused.gif

May 8, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
PS: I thought they were making Progressive Metal and not Nu Metal (which is something like Slipknot isn't it)?
confused.gif

yea, i think nu metal is the linkin park and limp bizkit type rock. the rappity roar riffs.

tool is definitely more on the prog side.

May 8, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
confused.gif

Far be it from me to define genres (ill leave that to asmox
icon10.gif
), but I really still see Tool as a nu-metal band. They really invented the genre back in the early 90's, then stopped after Aenima and let the whole thing happen. Honestly, I think they were probably pretty damn disappointed with what they started. The white boys with dreadlocks playing seven-string guitars thing was pretty damn stupid (IMHO, of course).

I guess its a confusion in terms. I'll still call Tool nu-metal, but theyre certainly progressive metal too. To each his own on defining genres
tongue.gif

On theme: I was definitely not saying that the entire album is about his mother, in fact far from it. The FEELING of the album (read: melancholy) was certainly preciptated by his mother's failing health and death. Other than the two "wings for marie" tracks, everything else is certainly open for much interpretation. Would love to hear more thoughts.

Scott

May 8, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #12 of 37
Nu metal is pretty much the culmination of grunge, metal, hip-hop, some electronic influence, and a few other things here and there. I don't know if I'd call later-day Tool nu metal.. but I think they definitely had a part in the rise of the genre.

Not all nu metal is bad, anyway.. Helmet, Deftones, Rage Against the Machine, 311, Sevendust, Taproot, Mudvayne.. some very decent bands out there that have come and gone. Though, I guess it really is much easier to say 'Slipknot! Linkin Park! TRASH!!!'

May 8, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
Well, you're cooler than most of your contemporaries

Thanx, at least until the screaming and growling start I am
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #14 of 37
40 year old Tool, Opeth, Fear Factory, Meshugga and (Heaven Forbid!!) Slipknot fan here!
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 8, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
Nu metal is pretty much the culmination of grunge, metal, hip-hop, some electronic influence, and a few other things here and there. I don't know if I'd call later-day Tool nu metal.. but I think they definitely had a part in the rise of the genre.

Not all nu metal is bad, anyway.. Helmet, Deftones, Rage Against the Machine, 311, Sevendust, Taproot, Mudvayne.. some very decent bands out there that have come and gone. Though, I guess it really is much easier to say 'Slipknot! Linkin Park! TRASH!!!'

Really weird post, man. You really count Tool or Rage Against the Machine Nu-Metal? The fact that we are blessed with such crappy mainstream pop bands as Limp Bizkit, Korn and Linkin Park who call themself Nu-Metal, does NOT mean that every other band from U.S. continent and using more-than-rock distortion with clean vocals would be part of that genre.

And yes, I wouldn't consider Slipknot nu-metal either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back