Short pictorial: little Dot DAC_I + OPA-Earth
Feb 27, 2011 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Adda

500+ Head-Fier
I recently bought a couple of OPA-Earth modules and went about installing them in my LD DAC_I, here are a few pics of how it can be done.
Taking the LD DAC apart is not easy and putting it back together is even worse, be warned.

First I made some extension cords for the DIP8 sockets, since the DAC_I's chassis is not tall enough for these modules.
I know audio-gd sells these as well, but those are way too long so I decided to make my own.
I don't claim to make good solder work, but it works fine, should have gotten smaller heatshrink though
redface.gif

I had a foam mat that came with a motherboard, I cut out a piece and stuck it on some capacitors with tape to keep it in place.
I also stuck the OPA's together with the same tape to keep them in place.
The grounding wires have been connected at the screw near the analog outs.

Here how it looks with the OPA's installed.

To protect the OPA's from the DAC's chassis I used more foam mat, I cut holes in it for the capacitors, without these holes there wouldn't be enough room.

And then it all just needs to be put back together.

The result is what might as well be an all new DAC, but this is not a review.

I hope this helps someone.

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 7
very nice! but it would appear that there's a whole bunch of LM4562MA's soldered before the swappable DIP8 sockets, so how good can it get? I was really hot for those LD DAC's(WM8804 reclocker and all) until I saw the 4562's(and of course they only provide lowres pics on their site, so you can't easily see them).

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #3 of 7
I think the upgrade made a substantial difference, no aspect of the DAC_I's sound have been left unchanged.
Could it be that the soldered opamps are only used with the balanced outs, would anyone be able to tell if I take my DAC_I apart again and take more pics of the output stage?
Also the DAC_I pictured on LD website is version 2.0, same as I initially got, but it's digital inputs went dead, so I sent it back to LD, they sent me a brand new one a version 3.0.
As far as I can tell and remember, the only difference between v2.0 and v3.0 is that the output stage has been simplified on v3.0.

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 7
yeah, please shoot some pics if you can...but that's what the LD boss answered me: "there seems to be soldered LM4562MA's before the swappable sockets?

Yes indeed, you cannot replace those."

if they've finally gotten their act together, I'd love to hear this DAC w/ some OPA1641/OPA827/LT1028ACN8.

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 7
very nice! indeed, it's a LME feast :/

I've sent this picture to the LD boss, asking him who does what...but he doesn't seem too willing to explain it further, basically because it doesn't make sense to allow end-users to roll opamps when it goes through LM49710 and LM4562 later on...marketing bs, as usual. It'd be like putting a momo pro-racing wheel in a vintage car.

Mar 1, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 7
I ordered a pair of OPA1641 and OPA827, lets see if I end up using them, good thing I have a soldering iron.
I may need pointers about placement though, in the socket the opa-earth will remain for now, in the middle I put OPA827? and then OPA1641 near the outputs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back