Short notes on Yuin G2A and Sennheiser MX980
Feb 28, 2012 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

zoomjohn

100+ Head-Fier
Needed a pair of phones (or two) for listening on my laptop and at work, so picked up Yuin from Ebay & Sennheiser from a local store.

Both earphones IMHO are worth their price.

G2A is more airy compared to MX980 (with foams on). MX980 without foams has a bit of a treble imbalance that is fatiguing. I did not find G2A lacking of bass. The bass is adequate for classical music. G2A's are a very good choice for classical music being neutral, like many on the board mentioned. It is a tiny bit 'coarse' overall, a comparison that becomes apparent when listening side-by-side with the MX980. But this is being very picky on a $50 phone. G2A has pretty good instrument separation as well as a natural soundstage & good spatial imaging. In comparison the MX980's soundstage sounds a bit congested. However, the MX980 more than makes up for it with the rich sound that is so typical of Sennheiser's (I owned HD-600 and still have a HD-650). I would pay the price difference any day. 

Listening to Beethoven's 6th symphony by Bohm VPO, G2A brings a very good overall picture of the actual performance which makes it very likable. Yet, when listening to the rich sound of Brahm's 2nd Symphony with Wand, I would go for the MX980 simply because it brings out the tonal richness in the symphony. Overall G2A is neutral if lacking that lowest bass (not much of an issue with classical). MX980 is a tad warm in the midrange IMO, but with excellent and musical high's and great tone overall. G2A's violins sound a bit dry where it is fine on the MX980.

Considering the price paid, I am keeping both, as the difference in sound and the fact that both are fairly neutral makes them suitable for different musics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back