Short mini-review of HD599 and HD560s
Mar 29, 2023 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

codythelucario

Head-Fier
Today, I tried out the Best Buy HD560s and compared it to my HD599 on the spot. I used the rapcaviar playlist on spotify and "Don't Drift too Far by Elephant Revival".

Methodology
Listening on: Galaxy S22 Ultra, using Apple USB-C to 3.5mm headphone jack.
599s are used with AutoEQ+limiter balance and no EQ.
560s are used without any EQ.

Results
599: it performed decent. Don't Drift sounds very warm and open and its a joy to listen to. It's like you're in the room and you're having fun in the crowd. The mid bass was way too powerful though, on raw sound without EQ. The mids and highs are very good though. If you EQ to oratory1990 or autoeq on Android, the mid bass bloat disappears and you get more clarity in the sound which is appreciated. However, the mid bass bloat is what also causes this open airiness in the sound though, so its up to you on your preference. On the RapCaviar spotify playlist midbass is just too much and it blocks out the vocals too much. EQ it to oratory and its gone. I'd say in general the bass is too strong but it won't matter if you want to party with it. These are party Open-backs with detail. It has a lot of detail compared to the mainstream brands and most headphones. If you try to pick out detail bass will be too much and a distraction but there's enough that you're not missing out if you're casually listening.

560s: these are praised for a reason in the audiophile community. Mids and highs are very similar so nothing to say here. HOWEVER - no mid bass bloat here and your world opens up with the details. It's like your eyes are awakened one day to the truth and state about the world when you're a teenager and it's not as good as you would think under childhood innocence. SO MUCH DETAIL - you can hear the violin plucks so clearly. Vocals are clear in the 599 but this goes #nextlevel on these. On RapCaviar these headphones do offer detail if you want to look for detail. But if you're playing rap you're defeating the purpose if you want to listen to detail - imho rap is made with bass in mind and enjoyment first detail second.

Overall 599 are EXCELLENT if you want detail with enjoyment. But 560s are the "take it to the #nextlevel headphones". It's nirvana and its in your face about the detail.

I won't be getting the 560s because the 599s offer enough detail so I'm not missing out on too much. It's like being that kid who tells you a lot of crap but is chill about it; detail is there but it's laid back. I'm missing out on the extra refined super powdery fine grain details but 599s are still very detailed.

If you are comparing the two, get the 560s. No question. If you have the 599s just eq it you'd get most of the sound signature of the 560s and you're not missing out way too much detail. If you are prone to ear fatigue then do get the 599s though. If you hate the mid-bass bloat just EQ it down and it should be no problem.

TL;DR: 599s are audiophile headphones. 560s is audiophile+ headphones (think of it as a comparison of having spotify versus spotify premium). Good for at least rap and acoustics if 599s are EQ'd, 560s will overachieve on this without any EQ regardless.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back