Shopping for a new laptop
May 18, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #31 of 52
is it one of glossy chunky consumer models?

i'm getting myself a thinkpad t500 because i'm kinda sick of consumer models just being fragile glossy machines.

May 18, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #32 of 52
My vote goes to Dell laptops. Even though I hate them with a passion, having worked as a Dell service technician, I have to admit that they have probably the best warranty plan out of all the major manufacturers (on-site tech, cross-shipping, you name it, they've got it all). Which is all you are buying, really, because your laptop WILL have problems, one day or another.

I would suggest Latitudes because that's their "standard" business models which every Dell Tech should know how to fix (You'd be surprised how many techs make the problems worse on XPS and Precisions...), but from what I've heard they are significantly more expensive. I would also suggest purchasing through your company (if that's an option) as that makes dealing with Dell CSR much less of a hassle.

May 19, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelesh7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Macbook or Macbook Pro!

Well, he asked for a '"PC".
I have tried to argue for the fact that a Mac is also a PC (Personal Computer), but given up and concluding that with "PC" they mean a general IBM computer running MS Windows. Aka, made by Dell, Lenovo, HP, Compaq, ... and not Apple.
Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderwall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I am in the market for a new laptop. I currently have a 1st Gen white MacBook but I'm looking to sync up my stationary and portable computing lives. So yes, I'm looking for a pc.

May 19, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you _really_ need cute, glossy, bouncing icons, you can run OS X on most Intel hardware these days. My Lenovo x200 is triple-boot, OS X, Ubuntu, and XP.

Just something to consider.

Ironically, each of microsoft's latest OS's try to emulate the friendly feel of OSX :p

May 19, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #39 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelesh7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ironically, each of microsoft's latest OS's try to emulate the friendly feel of OSX :p

I'd like to help the OP. It's going to be very hard to help OP if this turns into a thread about trolls trolling trolls. OP stated in the first post that he's looking for a solution other than Mac; let's just leave that at that and go back to providing posts that are relevant to the topic at hand.

May 23, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you _really_ need cute, glossy, bouncing icons, you can run OS X on most Intel hardware these days. My Lenovo x200 is triple-boot, OS X, Ubuntu, and XP.

Just something to consider.

I was under the impression that installing OSX on non-MAC computers are technically um... illegal? I remember reading somewhere that the OSX is bound to Apple-vendor peripherals by license agreement or something.

Anyways, I voted Dell for support. My old Gateway had good price/performance ratio. While it lasted anyways.

May 23, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Makenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was under the impression that installing OSX on non-MAC computers are technically um... illegal?

"Illegal" and "against the license agreement" are two different things.

OS X EULA.
Quote:

This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time.

As someone who doesn't wish to buy Apple hardware, it's pretty obvious that Apple doesn't want my money any more than I want to give it to them. This is part of their scheme to control the user experience of their products, which is the primary reason why I do not purchase Apple products.

On another note, Apple is apparently pretty confident in their "crash-free" claim:
Quote:

THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.

May 23, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vayate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Illegal" and "against the license agreement" are two different things.

OS X EULA.

As someone who doesn't wish to buy Apple hardware, it's pretty obvious that Apple doesn't want my money any more than I want to give it to them. This is part of their scheme to control the user experience of their products, which is the primary reason why I do not purchase Apple products.

Sorry, come again? I thought that the EULA means you are to use their software only in terms specified on the agreement, and if you don't agree, you are not to use the software in any shape or form or else it's considered infringement. Lenovo is obviously non-Apple based, so unless I'm totally missing something here, wouldn't installing OSX on the laptop be considered usage of software without agreeing to the EULA?

May 24, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #43 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Makenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, come again? I thought that the EULA means you are to use their software only in terms specified on the agreement, and if you don't agree, you are not to use the software in any shape or form or else it's considered infringement. Lenovo is obviously non-Apple based, so unless I'm totally missing something here, wouldn't installing OSX on the laptop be considered usage of software without agreeing to the EULA?

You agree to the EULA by installing the software. That's true of any software; if you install it, you are (technically) obligated to follow it. By installing OSX on a Lenovo, you are using the software in violation of the EULA. Having said that, they're not going to sic the lawyers on you for building a hackintosh as long as you're not costing Apple millions of dollars. Don't worry about what the EULA says. There aren't any practical concerns regarding EULAs for the most part as long as you're just an end user.

May 24, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some great notebook reviews:

Laptop Reviews Directory

I've read the dv5(t) only gets around 3.5 hours at minimal use/settings, which really isn't much.

Youre getting soft.
wink_face.gif

May 24, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #45 of 52
Vayate- You put down almost every PC Brand out there, but i havent found a post where you recommended anything you WOULD buy.

Is there ANYTHING good???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back