Shopping for a dac AGAIN!
May 13, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #16 of 46
My vote goes towards Bifrost 2, I almost always see it win dac-outs for its price range, that includes the topping stuff objectivists will swear by. As far as the measurements stuff sounding like crap, I think its just because theyre designed to be that way/untouched etc. A song might sound great as its being recorded, heard in person etc but a system only captures the sounds its picks up direct from the cables and what not while the "bad" dacs actually try to make it sound more natural again so I definitely understand where youre coming from.

May 13, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #17 of 46
Let me just add this... when I was looking IEM's I had a heck of a time... following reviews and buying the "best" ones only to find how much I hated them. Until I found one that alot hated and trashed but I fell in love with... the Moondrop SSR... if I can emulate that signature in my main system I'd be happy!

Curious what the rest of home system is. Getting the right synergy with the other components is important. Often the sound of a separate component in of the chain may or may not bring the improvements you seek. Knowing what else your using will help others steer you into the best outcome.

Things like using a tube amp, with it finding different tubes could bring out better improvements than switching the DAC. When comparing dac I feel well the chip used is important. Many times it’s the rest of the dac other improvements and how manufacturers tailor the sound signature of there products there house sound.

May 13, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #19 of 46
As a former owner, I’d actually probably recommend against the Bifrost 2. I prefer the tonality of something like the Dangerous Music Source, which out-resolves and isn’t overly warm-sounding like the Bifrost 2. Haven’t heard anything else on your list though.

May 14, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #20 of 46
Curious what the rest of home system is. Getting the right synergy with the other components is important. Often the sound of a separate component in of the chain may or may not bring the improvements you seek. Knowing what else your using will help others steer you into the best outcome.

Things like using a tube amp, with it finding different tubes could bring out better improvements than switching the DAC. When comparing dac I feel well the chip used is important. Many times it’s the rest of the dac other improvements and how manufacturers tailor the sound signature of there products there house sound.

My system is Mac... C712, MR7084, MC250... Magnepan MMG... Chromecast Audio... that is all. I always knew heading into retirement that I would work my way back to McIntosh. So these components are all staying... the dac is the final piece. I'm not opposed to AK, ESS or even NOS... it's all about the tone and the presentation rather than the detail.

From your list you cannot go wrong with a D100 or BDA2.
Should be priced reasonably as well.

I actually demo'd the Mac with a BDA3 and it was indeed enjoyable so a BDA2 is not out of the question... I don't need the hdmi of the 3. As for the D100, I have never heard but I assume it would be a natural fit?? They don't come up very often used but I am watching.

As a former owner, I’d actually probably recommend against the Bifrost 2. I prefer the tonality of something like the Dangerous Music Source, which out-resolves and isn’t overly warm-sounding like the Bifrost 2. Haven’t heard anything else on your list though.

Too much warmth was what I ran into with the MHDT Havana I was running before... I had Bryston gear prior with my Magnepans and it did the trick. But with the Mac it was too much of a "good thing". Maybe if my pre had the 5 band eq I would have been able to keep it but it sounded too mushy and condensed. The CCA by itself sounded better. Are you saying the Bifrost2 has that kind of warmth? That's not something I have read.

At the moment my Fiio K5Pro has taken over dac duties and surprisingly doing very well... for the time being.

I was even told to take a look at the Musician Draco. Input?

May 14, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #21 of 46
it's all about the tone and the presentation rather than the detail.

If you listen to a lot of instrumental music and want this organic/more lifelike timbre I think soekris dac2541 would fit you perfectly in that case. Highly technical for R2R design and organic sounding one.
There is a decent and cheaper version of R2R which I read good things about - denafrips ARES II, but haven't heard it.

Just as you I've tried some budget chinese DAC's and they all sounded the same and missing character for me. Even on few models manufactured by "different" companies controllers looked alike and only logos differed so I believe they leave same factory. I'm Not against chinese manufactured stuff as there are companies that wants to stand out and puts an effort to do so, but I don't go with the flow on the gear which is measured as next best beyond audible transparency and being hyped on certain forums. It is only because I tried and it didn't impress me. If I'm paying I want to hear noticeable changes/improvement over my macbook output.

When used correctly Qutest has impressive staging capabilities and very detailed presentation. No glare or sounding numb when music has to engage you, but R2R carries more organic sound. I took qutest because it perfectly fit my taste for electronic music and the only downside is that for it's asking price it is not the DAC that you can just plug into any system and it would sound to it's full potential.

May 14, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #22 of 46
Thanks for that insight... appreciated!

I actually had an in depth chat with a member here on that Soekris and the Ares... the member having both, stated that the Soekris had a soundstage the was further recessed meaning the Denafrips presented itself more to being on stage (front row) rather than being seated further back. That's the presentation I'm after... more up close and intimate. When you hear something like that with Magnepan's its hard not to want it LOL! The Magnepan soundstage itself is impressive but pushing it further into the room is like wearing headphones... it's right on top of you!

May 14, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #23 of 46
Thanks for that insight... appreciated!

I actually had an in depth chat with a member here on that Soekris and the Ares... the member having both, stated that the Soekris had a soundstage the was further recessed meaning the Denafrips presented itself more to being on stage (front row) rather than being seated further back. That's the presentation I'm after... more up close and intimate. When you hear something like that with Magnepan's its hard not to want it LOL! The Magnepan soundstage itself is impressive but pushing it further into the room is like wearing headphones... it's right on top of you!

It's hard to beat Ares in terms of price to performance for R2R based DAC. I think you will be pleasantly surprised coming off delta sigma DAC's

May 14, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #24 of 46
Too much warmth was what I ran into with the MHDT Havana I was running before... I had Bryston gear prior with my Magnepans and it did the trick. But with the Mac it was too much of a "good thing". Maybe if my pre had the 5 band eq I would have been able to keep it but it sounded too mushy and condensed. The CCA by itself sounded better. Are you saying the Bifrost2 has that kind of warmth? That's not something I have read.
The Bifrost 2 is often described as somewhat warm, gooey, and soft, although it stages and layers well.

May 15, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #25 of 46
Ares is probably a good choice as well, I do see it recommended often but it has slipped my mind when i wrote my original post. One thing I would research about it though is its latency. Ive heard the denafrips stuff has varying latency, but if you're strictly using it for just music playback then whatever its latency is would be a non issue.

May 15, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #26 of 46
Ares is probably a good choice as well, I do see it recommended often but it has slipped my mind when i wrote my original post. One thing I would research about it though is its latency. Ive heard the denafrips stuff has varying latency, but if you're strictly using it for just music playback then whatever its latency is would be a non issue.

I've read that about the Ares which is why I mentioned the Draco. Seems like it does not suffer the same problem. And I would like to say it is for music only but I don't know if I wouldn't try it for TV watching... I'm just using a Yamaha soundbar at the moment.

May 19, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #28 of 46
You may need to leave it on for a while to relieve all of it’s goodness, especially as R2R dac.

I had Denafrips Iris and even though it is a different beast, the shift in SQ after week of usage was very noticeable. I was non believer in such things prior Iris DDC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back