Shopping for a dac AGAIN!
May 20, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #31 of 46
Ya... but no thanks... just a little above my price range LOL
Ok, none of my business, just trying to be helpful. I’ll talk about me. I saved a lot of money during the past few years by reading forums/ posts in the “Sound Science” section of Head-fi. There are a few threads about DACs. The knowledgeable members who write in Sound Science work in the audio or recording industry.

May 26, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #32 of 46
Well, I know I'm gonna get hated on but the Ares II was a bust for me. Something in the treble sets off my tinnitus. I can't describe it other than how some people react to nails on a chalkboard LOL! I get the same feeling as when I hear people scrape silverware together :frowning2:

May 26, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #33 of 46
That’s too bad. Any idea what you’ll try next?

May 26, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #34 of 46
Well there is the Bifrost 2 multi... it's supposed to be tilted the opposite of the Ares... a little more in the bass region minus the upper region and better in the timbre department so I've read. That may have been what was setting me off.

I stated earlier that I'm running my headphone amp at the moment... Fiio with the AK4399... very acceptable which is why I'm not in a rush and willing to experiment so if I take that up a notch the Bryston BDA2 is available.

I think the more I read on Chord the more it's sibilance issues will be a problem for me.

It's possible a "smooth and clean" approach is what I should be settling with. I mean the Mac and Maggie combo adds everything one wants in terms of warmth and staging so a dac that smooths over the nasty's might be what I should be looking at. I don't know?

May 26, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #35 of 46
Well, I know I'm gonna get hated on but the Ares II was a bust for me. Something in the treble sets off my tinnitus. I can't describe it other than how some people react to nails on a chalkboard LOL! I get the same feeling as when I hear people scrape silverware together :frowning2:
Did you let Ares II play for at least 200 hours? The first 100 hours may be a bit of a hiss in the upper register. Then, even by chance, it is no longer perceptible.
It is true, however, that much depends on the whole system. Synergy.

May 27, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #37 of 46
Darn sorry it didn’t work out. The Ares II is one I been highly consider, is it the unit that was bad or was it just the tinnitus that made it sound bad?
Did you try other tubes to see if was tamed down?

May 29, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #39 of 46
I too have tinnitus in my right ear and am quite sensitive to the different presentations of DACs and amps.

About a month ago, my DAC/amp had to go back to the manufacturer for service. It's a good product, but I couldn't listen without eq'ing some upper mids/treble, which I felt ultimately degraded the SQ.

While it was in for service, I picked up a dirt cheap used Chord Mojo, which I could listen to without eq, feeding it bit-perfect through its ASIO driver.

Long story short - sold the old amp/DAC immediately when I got it back, and have since upgraded to the MOJO 2, which I absolutely love for its UHD DSP. It's a fantastic unit.

So, the Qutest might be worth a shot if you're struggling with tinnitus.

May 29, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #40 of 46
Just from my first hand experience, I found the Ares 2 sounds better when paired with a proper DDC. Before getting rid of it, I'd look to add a proper DDC to your chain as it should improve any DAC you end up keeping, (unless it's a Chord since they specialize in FPGAs and the like). Though tbh, if your rig sounds like nails on chalkboard, I think you have bigger problems than a DAC.

May 29, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #41 of 46
I too have tinnitus in my right ear and am quite sensitive to the different presentations of DACs and amps.

About a month ago, my DAC/amp had to go back to the manufacturer for service. It's a good product, but I couldn't listen without eq'ing some upper mids/treble, which I felt ultimately degraded the SQ.

While it was in for service, I picked up a dirt cheap used Chord Mojo, which I could listen to without eq, feeding it bit-perfect through its ASIO driver.

Long story short - sold the old amp/DAC immediately when I got it back, and have since upgraded to the MOJO 2, which I absolutely love for its UHD DSP. It's a fantastic unit.

So, the Qutest might be worth a shot if you're struggling with tinnitus.

Thanks for this... I was reading about exaggerated sibilance with Chord... do you find that at all??

Just from my first hand experience, I found the Ares 2 sounds better when paired with a proper DDC. Before getting rid of it, I'd look to add a proper DDC to your chain as it should improve any DAC you end up keeping, (unless it's a Chord since they specialize in FPGAs and the like). Though tbh, if your rig sounds like nails on chalkboard, I think you have bigger problems than a DAC.

I didn't say my system sounds like nails on a chalkboard... what I said was that when my hearing is set off that's how I explain it to others so they can understand. SEE BELOW!

As stated, and again, I'm using my Fiio and it's acceptable. My system is McIntosh and it's definitely not at all harsh sounding although I can't say that for all the 80's recordings my wife listens to!

And again for the record I use optical only... that's it... no other inputs... not going to change. It's a Chromecast Audio unit.

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #44 of 46
Interesting... a new Mojo 2 is definitely in my price range. There are a couple of 2qute dacs on CAM at the moment... comments?
My only Chord experience is with both Mojos. But, if you decide to try the Mojo 2 and find it isn't for you, you'll be able to get rid of it in a heartbeat without taking much, if any, of a loss, I would imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back