Shootout of 6DAC, including Anedio, Lavery DA11, Eastern Electric, etc.
Jun 16, 2011 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Cortes

100+ Head-Fier
http://www.stereomojo.com/Stereomojo%20Six%20DAC%20Shootout.htm/StereomojoSixDACShootout.htm

I love Stereomojo. One of the very few places with real useful comparisons. 

As curiosity, only two DAC pass to the final shootout, the cheapest: Eastern Electric and the most expensive: Lampizator. 
  The winner is... read the review!. 

Jun 16, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 16
broken DA11?  though I would never judge anyone else's opinions, I find it suspect that their unit had dropouts - sounds busted to me

Jun 16, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 16
Good read.

What strikes me as most interesting is the different feedback of the same DAC (EE) in the two rounds.

The EE is certainly excellent value for money. Shame it costs a lot more here in the UK!

Jun 17, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
broken DA11?  though I would never judge anyone else's opinions, I find it suspect that their unit had dropouts - sounds busted to me

Stereomojo conclusions seem realistic, though. Project86 compared Lavry (DA10?) to Anedio and concluded the latter was in a different league. As a former DA10 owner I must say that newer sabre dacs for similar or less money are very likely to sound better. Tiny nuForce-2 is not far behind.. Lavry used to be a great product for the money 6-8 years ago but things change, Dan should refresh his product line.

I wonder what computer chip  did Lampizator adapt in his device and why actually it is better.. 

Jun 17, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:

What strikes me as most interesting is the different feedback of the same DAC (EE) in the two rounds.

I'm not sure if you missed it, but they were comparing the solid-state output vs the tube output of the EE DAC (it can be toggled). The difference is instantly noticeable, though not drastic.

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 16
once again, I was only commenting on the dropout issue

Quote:
Stereomojo conclusions seem realistic, though. Project86 compared Lavry (DA10?) to Anedio and concluded the latter was in a different league. As a former DA10 owner I must say that newer sabre dacs for similar or less money are very likely to sound better. Tiny nuForce-2 is not far behind.. Lavry used to be a great product for the money 6-8 years ago but things change, Dan should refresh his product line.

I wonder what computer chip  did Lampizator adapt in his device and why actually it is better.. 

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #9 of 16
Most interesting. I had ruled out buying the Minimax because I was under the impression that the new model would not be available until September. Looks like it might be released sooner and I will have to continue to be patient. This DAC receives plenty of praise. The designer must be doing something right, even if he does use op amps in the output stage. 
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
IMHO, the EE sounds as good as many turntable/cartridge/phono-pre combos up to around $10,000, perhaps more when playing 24-bit files. From what limited time I've had with the Lampizator, I think it competes with many of the top turntables at any price, whether playing Redbook or 24-bits.

The EE appeared to be unmodded. I would like to think that a different tube and different opamps would have attracted even better comments. I suspect a heavily modded EE or the new MKII version would give the $4700  Lampizator a very serious run for its money. 

Jun 18, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Most interesting. I had ruled out buying the Minimax because I was under the impression that the new model would not be available until September. Looks like it might be released sooner and I will have to continue to be patient. This DAC receives plenty of praise. The designer must be doing something right, even if he does use op amps in the output stage. 
wink.gif

People really need to stop propagating misconceptions about the performance of opamps circuits...it all depends on implementation. The M^3 amp and EE DAC are just a couple of examples of how good opamp-based designs can sound.

Quote:
The EE appeared to be unmodded. I would like to think that a different tube and different opamps would have attracted even better comments. I suspect a heavily modded EE or the new MKII version would give the $4700  Lampizator a very serious run for its money. 

I agree...the modded EE DAC sounds awesome.

Jun 18, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
I'm not sure if you missed it, but they were comparing the solid-state output vs the tube output of the EE DAC (it can be toggled). The difference is instantly noticeable, though not drastic.

I mean rather, the feedback of the same unit in different rounds, for example, an OK soundstage to an excellent soundstage.

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
People really need to stop propagating misconceptions about the performance of opamps circuits...it all depends on implementation. The M^3 amp and EE DAC are just a couple of examples of how good opamp-based designs can sound.

The winking smiley was inserted for a reason that was obviously lost on you. 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 18, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #15 of 16
I would like to have seen them include a couple of DACs from more "mainstream" companies in this shootout. Rega, Moon, Hegel, Naim, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back