Shoot me your recommendations!!!
Sep 28, 2006 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

wallysworld118

New Head-Fier
So I recently had a pair of e4c headphones stolen and I need a replacement ASAP! I am tired of the in-the-ear type headphone and am now looking at getting a nice pair of can's. I have seriously been considering the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro's.

Music I listen to:
Rap
R&B
Rock
Dont know what these go under: St. Germain, DJ Shadow, things of that nature (tend to be bass heavy with a nice mix of instruments).

I will be mainly using with my iPod but also want to get a portable headphone amp and also a nice headphone amp for home.

Will spend no more then $300. Comfort is a big thing for me as I tend to wear my headphones for hours and hours.

Sep 28, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 12
It's really hard to make a recommendation based just on what you've, but I'd say the K701 and HD650 would be my lead contenders for $300 or less. I'm not sure if the K701's are selling for less than $300 in the new market, but you should be able to find an ever so slightly used pair for that.

Sep 28, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 12
I would really, REALLY ask that you check out a pair of K701s in person before considering them. It sounds like they'll get used a lot outdoors, and they are not suitable for that at all: Really open, massive and delicate.

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 12
If you were going to be spending most of your time indoors, I would suggest the Alessandro MS2i. For portable use they would likely be too heavy for many (though not all)folks.

....and they're so pretty they would attract thieves like an open box of cash.
biggrin.gif

The MS2i are actually comfortable to wear,(in my case,)up to fourteen hours straight in a marathon listening session. Some folks think they take a little time to acclimate to though.

MS2i is really pretty good without an amp. No problem! But they really shine with some augmentation.

Sep 28, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 12
What's up with the E4c? I lost mine too (rapidly replaced with a pair of IEM-gems though)!

For your music, I would recommend either the SR325i or K701. The former will suit your music taste more. It works best with stock bowls (I prefer bowls over TTVJ flats for the SR325i). They are incredibly detailed and have a wonderful midrange. The bass is also addictively punchy and well controlled. Wonderful for listening for electric guitar and drum tracks. All in all, they are THE headphones for your genres.
The latter recommendation, the K701, are also brilliantly fine headphones. They are less bright. In terms of brightness, I would place the K701 in between the HD650 (dark) and the SR325i (bright). The bass isn't as punchy, but extends very well. I would describe the K701 as having a slightly thinner, drier sound than the SR325i. The SR325i has quite a golden sound (just like their cups).

If you like uncoloured, "reference" sound, than the K701 would be your best bet. However, the SR325i are definitely more fun and the bassline much more addictive and dominating (though well controlled). Both are great headphones. Get both if you can!

EDIT: One more thing, the SR325i are much more uncomfy than the K701. Because of the design of the bowls, your ears are in direct contact with the membrane that keeps hair out. After a while, the membrane will feel like sandpaper. There is no way around this without changing the sound. I tried using TTVJ flats, but it just made the SR325i sound muddy, overly bassy and as a result very fatiguing to listen to. Also, the top of the headband may press against the top of your head and you'll probably have a headache after a while. You may opt to buy a Beyer leather headband "wrap" and put that over the headband. Comfort increases ten-fold. As always, the sound signature of these Grados is very unconventional and you'll probably hate them initially. Give 'em some time and you'll love it!

The K701 are much easier to acclimatise to them because of their relatively conventional sound signature. However, they are just not as fun, but much comfier! The K701 also feel like they're better made. The SR325i feel like an expensive toy, but they are in fact very well manufactured and extremely hard wearing.

Sep 28, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 12
I have read of a couple of people having problems with their ears touching the screens of the Grado/Alessandro drivers while wearing bowls. I had a problem with 414s when modded with the largest hole while installed normally. When reversed; no problem. I don't find that my ears hit with bowls on my MS1-s or MS2i. So it almost seems to perhaps be ears size dependent.

...for the record; I have small ears and a small head. My height adjusters are adjusted almost all the way small!

Comfort with Grados is a highly personalized thing, but is generally considered to not be as bad as the legends and myths would indicate.

Sep 29, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 12
i have decided on the k701's for now. I am looking for a place in milwaukee to demo them, but its getting harder to find.

I have to have COMFORTABLE head phones. I will be using them for 3-6 hours a day, and I want them to be really nice on the ear..

Defined uncoloured sound?

They will be used somewhat outdoors, but not that often...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back