Shoestring budget headphone repair
Dec 7, 2017 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

DeimosF

New Head-Fier
Hi.

I own a Sony 2.0 Wireless Headset. I know they're not mind-blowing, but I had to acquire these a few years ago due to technical reasons. Long story.

img5-34034.jpg

Anyway, the headband is pretty much made entirely of plastic, and due to my big head the piece that provides tension has began cracking. This means that the headphones are very loose on my head, and I need to fix this.

Due to the weakness of the material, there's nothing I can do to the current headband without compromising its integrity or accelerating its disintegration. I need to replace it.

I'm handy with repairs. I've modded headphones in the past with great success. My current plan is to remove the earpieces from the current headset, without disconnecting the wire that runs between them, and anchor them in a new headband.

I need to find a replacement headband that fits the following criteria:

- main structure composed of metal
- allows for external wire between headphones, so that I can run the current wire through them without having to tear it open or mess with the wire itself

I own a pair of Beyerdynamics 770, and that headband seems adequate. It's very sturdy, with a simple metal structure, and the wire is not embedded in any way, with the only downside being their forked earpice connection that would require me getting creative with the fix, since these Sony 2.0 have a single-point mount as a headband-earpiece connection. However when I visit BD's websites, the "spare parts" section is blank for some reason. I'm confused, as I was told Beyerdynamic were very good when it came to providing spare parts. This is assuming they wouldn't charge me some crazy amount for the parts to begin with.

DT770pro-large.jpg

I've been trying to google generic terms like "headphone headband replacement", with terrible results, so now I seem to have hit a dead end.

I can handle the repair myself as long as I'm able to find a suitable headband, but I can't find anything.

Suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back