Shoegazing headphones recommendation
Jun 13, 2013 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

QuestionMeister

New Head-Fier
Please help me i have no idea what all these keywords describing the sound mean so have been stumped when looking for a new pair of headphones.

Im looking for something that excels at playing music with the following features:

Good for shoegazing (alot of guitar, not much bass, gentle vocals (often female))
can wear on the go

thanks lots for any help in advance

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 13
Overear? onear? iPod controls? What would you like

Price range?

Do you own any headphones right now?

Getting the first pair is hard, I suggest you just buy what ever seems to but the recommended one and see how you like it, you may not like it and have to send it back but then you will have a point of reference so don't stress to much.

BTW I have no idea what shoegazing is haha

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 13
i'm heavily into shoegazer and went with the sennheiser hd600 after much research from razorog @ $319.
they arrive tomorrow. (estimated/hopefully)

in asking this question you probably should give some further info, like how much you're willing to spend, are you willing to also spend money on an amp/dac, etc.

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

BTW I have no idea what shoegazing is haha

shoegazer is alot of distortion and a wall of sound that creates a bliss/ethereal/dream like sound usually with very airy, breathy light vocals often female that's born in the late 80s/90s. one of my all time favorite styles of music.
example:

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 13
So soft 70's rock haha idk those vids sounded pretty good on my M80's probably even better on my D5000's but of course they had to go and discontinue those....

I think the Momentums would be great if you have 3 fiddy to drop

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks Nowhere, they are a bit less suitable for wearing around outside my house than i was hoping for but other than that look decent and ill consider them (read: probably get them).

edit: thanks scary too, ill try and find a way to test them both.

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Thanks Nowhere, they are a bit less suitable for wearing around outside my house than i was hoping for but other than that look decent and ill consider them (read: probably get them).

it's always best to do a good amount of research however just to make sure you're happy with your choice, if some other people can give you more suggestions to look into as well as that.
the hd600 fit what i was looking for but i have no portable needs and i also listen to alot of female indie bands and female singer-songwriter stuff and overall styles that i read from people were solid with the headphone so it wasn't just based on shoegazer entirely but that plays into it.
also i plan to spend an extra $200-250 on an amp/dac most likely a modi/magni stack or o2/odac stack just because i found the research into amps/dacs absolutely dreadful and a nightmare... and they seemed to be recommended and fairly affordable and so i'd probably just end with one of those.

i'd read up on different threads, a good place to start would be to determine a budget and search the forum for people asking what headphone to get within that budget and then compile a few choice together on what looks good to you and then start to research them through the appreciation threads, etc.
i spent 2 months or so researching before i finally reached my conclusion on what's best for me.

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 13
I'm a shoegaze nut and I like the wall of noisy guitars to be crunchy, highly textured and visceral - I want to taste and feel it.

The Shure SRH940 is excellent for that purpose with its unrivaled clarity and detail - has excellent mids too so vocals sound immense. Be warned , though - It's not big on mid-bass (though i find it more than adequate for my tastes - its very textured) so it may not be the best for certain other genres of music.

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 13
I like shoegaze very much and still listen to it often.

IMO open headphones do best with the genre.

Depending on your price range, some recommendations:

Sony MDR MA900
AKG K702 (or any of the AKG K7xx series)

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
I like shoegaze very much and still listen to it often.

IMO open headphones do best with the genre.

Depending on your price range, some recommendations:

Sony MDR MA900
AKG K702 (or any of the AKG K7xx series)

They'd be better but will leak sound and will thus not be suitable for use on the go, as the OP desires.

For more closed back options i'd add the AKG K550 and ATH-A900X to the Shure SRH940 already mentioned.

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

They'd be better but will leak sound and will thus not be suitable for use on the go, as the OP desires.

For more closed back options i'd add the AKG K550 and ATH-A900X to the Shure SRH940 already mentioned.

I wasn't sure if "on the go" definitely meant closed headphones (though it usually does),
that's why I mentioned the open ones. 

I agree with your recommendations on the closed ones except the Shure 940's;
I think the other 2 mentioned are better.  

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 13
Well, if you want portability + headphones doing well when playing shoegaze:

- Sony MDR-1R (notice that for ME, the upper mids where kind of fatiguing but for others it wasn't)
- V-Moda M100s (yep, these are bassy and treble don't extend too much but sound quality is "there" and it is extremely portable).
- Sennheiser Momentums (look good, seem to produce good mids/highs essential for something like shoegaze)

Others mentioned already are not very portable but I liked the Shure SRH940s, ATs A900x (except their earpads... ugh) and Sennheiser HD600s.

My favorite release is still Difference Engine - Breadmaker ... the new MBV is good...

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back