Shipping to Canada
Oct 20, 2005 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

K2Grey

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't know whether this or the FS/FT forums is the right place to post, this is probably safer.

Is there anything special about sending an item to Canada that differentiates it from sending to to U.S.? Like, do you have to worry about customs and so on? At the moment from checking shipping rates with FedEx it seems the only difference is that you pay $5 extra for shipping and that's it, but I'd like to make sure.

Oct 20, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 15
The difference is custom and brokage fee.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Usualy anything more than $20 you have to pay taxe.
Someone has to fill the paperwork and collect the taxe hence brokage fee.

I know USPS ask $5 for brokage [My Prefered Method]

UPS ground you get something between 30% and 100% the value of the package as brokage
very_evil_smiley.gif
depending on how much value is.

For example I order something at $100 UPS ground $15 taxe and $30 brokage+dismbusment+cod+whateverthey can think off fee. nice $45 extra when you receive the package not bad

An other product value. $30 by UPS ground so $4.5 taxe and $20 brokage+extra fee nice $25 extra to be paid on a $30 package well done UPS.

Search for UPS and canada or UPS suck
biggrin.gif

Ok all this depend on the declared value of the package. [hint]
tongue.gif

UPS has the option of allowing you to do your own brokage if you call them early enough and want to spend time going to the custom bureau filling form and paying taxe then pick up your package at UPS warehouse with all the form fills.

I don't have experience with FedEX.

On the other hand if you paid for express shipping [ the expensive shipping rate] the broakge is include.

Oct 20, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 15
agreed, when going cross border ALWAYS go Canada Post/USPS. Unless you're under $50, then UPS is alright. I've been hit with massive fees several times, including the Zen that I don't have. Ivandal sent it to me, but for some reason the value on it was $280, so I had to pay ~$100 fees, when I spent half that on the unit. I asked him to fax in something to fix it, and I haven't heard from him since, and I STILL don't have the Zen. Long story short, don't use UPS cross border.

Oct 20, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 15
To send to Canada from US, always send using USPS Airmail. Canadians will pay sales taxes and $5 fee to receive the package

Oct 20, 2005 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 15
If you want to keep your customers happy, don't ship UPS Ground a.k.a. Standard a.k.a. Standard to Canada due to the high brokerage fee. I understand that Fedex Ground also has high fees, but I haven't confirmed it myself.

Another consideration - if the customer doesn't pay the brokerage fee, UPS will come after you for it.

Don't reject UPS Ground out of hand though. For large, low value items, it is a pretty cheap way to ship, even accounting for the brokerage fee. Certainly less expensive, in my experience, than DHL or Airborne Express.

Oct 20, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
So, hypothetically, if I mail an item worth $198 but state it's worth $10 the customs is lower. (perjury not withstanding) Of course if something goes wrong, the insured value is only $10. Is this correct?

Generally, if Canada Customs finds an item they consider grossly undervalued, they will asses duties and taxes at what they think it's worth. I think I have had this happen only two or three times in the last 25 yrs.

I never request that a seller falsify the documentation. There is a real, but remote risk that the item will be siezed. I usually play it safe and factor in the duty, taxes, and brokerage fee when I buy.

Insured value and value for customs do not necessarily have to be the same amount. An example would be an item sent to the US for modification. In that case, the value for customs would only be the cost of the modifictions, and the insured value would be the value of the component.

I'm not an expert on all this, but there are some good threads at www.Canuckaudiomart.com. There is one guy there who is an encyclopaedia of information.

Oct 20, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
If you forget to bribe your friendly Customs agent (that's me), and the package passes through my hands, it'll get confiscated and come home with me.
evil_smiley.gif

I remember that when I was into Model Railroading, there was a rash of parcel disappearances. We had a theory that there was a postie/custom agent that had to have one of the best layouts in the city
biggrin.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
So, hypothetically, if I mail an item worth $198 but state it's worth $10 the customs is lower. (perjury not withstanding) Of course if something goes wrong, the insured value is only $10. Is this correct?

Customs can only charge tax and duty based on the claimed value, not the insured value. It is quite possible that someone scored a remarkable deal and thus paid little for an item. So for instance, you can claim the value is $50 but insure it for $1000 and if lost or damaged, as long as there is proof that replacement would be $1000, that is the amount issued.

Oct 20, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Customs can only charge tax and duty based on the claimed value, not the insured value. It is quite possible that someone scored a remarkable deal and thus paid little for an item. So for instance, you can claim the value is $50 but insure it for $1000 and if lost or damaged, as long as there is proof that replacement would be $1000, that is the amount issued.

lawyer brains are amazing things
biggrin.gif

no wait, theological, mathematical, and pragmatic genius lawyer brains, that is.

Oct 20, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #13 of 15
and note that most items across US-Canada you won't have to pay duty on simply because they don't check where the item was manufactured or where the materials are from. Packages coming in outside of north america they usually slap you with duty.

Gotta love our NAFTA...

Oct 21, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #14 of 15
Well, I am going to send it through USPS, so that seems to conclude things. Then again, the buyer said he doesn't mind paying the fees when they come, so maybe I should save myself a 0.6 mile walk to a post office which I've never been to before and use FedEX ground before..

my conscience can't take it though
frown.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 10:25 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
Well, I am going to send it through USPS, so that seems to conclude things. Then again, the buyer said he doesn't mind paying the fees when they come, so maybe I should save myself a 0.6 mile walk to a post office which I've never been to before and use FedEX ground before..

my conscience can't take it though
frown.gif

Take a look at the USPS website. Last time I looked, they had a sample of the customs forms that you may want to familiarize yourself with. Just be patient. A lot more of a hassle then having UPS pick up; that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back