Shipping my computer overseas
Jun 3, 2003 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

legoman

100+ Head-Fier
Since this forum seems to be all-knowing...

I am moving to Germany in 2 months and want to ship my computer there in the most economical yet safe and reliable fashion. It is about a year old so selling and buing a new one doesn't seem to be worth it. As household goods it will be custom/tax free but I need a decent co. that won't screw up the customs part. Any advice?

Also, any other hints on moving the rest of my stuff appreciated.

Legoman

Jun 3, 2003 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 7
First, legos kick ass. Second, take it apart, put all the parts in static bags, put them in a suitcase, carry it with you and buy a new case when you get there. As for the monitor, sell it, and buy another one when you get there. It can't be economical to ship something like that internationally.
-Mag

Jun 3, 2003 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 7
actually, I've noticed that prices for computer parts aren't too cheap in Europe(but this was 2 years ago)
frown.gif
, so I'm not sure buying a new monitor would be all that cheap. I say take all of your pci cards, drives, etc, and put them in antistatic bags. Then in lots of packing materials. Finally, ship the case. The monitor is iffy. Although I'm not sure how much it'll be to ship, and I'm not sure its something I'd risk shipping by boat, buying one would be quite expensive in my experience.

Jun 3, 2003 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 7
No, monitors aren't cheap here, you're right about that..

But it will cost you at least the price of your monitor to ship it, so really, buying a new one is your best bet.
frown.gif

Jun 4, 2003 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 7
I'm not shipping the monitor, that's for sure. I can geat a new 17" for $150, a used one for a lot less, no, I am really only talking about the main tower.

Aside from the fact that replacing it would be needless and uneconomical, the issue is also the hassle of rebuilding the system.

Not sure what is involved in taking the computer apart. Probably need to take everything except the case and the power supply....

Jun 4, 2003 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 7
All you need is a phillips head screwdriver. Remove all the PCI cards, drives and such and place them in static bags. I would also remove the heatsink just for safety measures. Find a large static bag for the motherboard. And thats about it, just make sure you ground yourself on the chassis while you work. Hope this helps.
-Mag

Jun 4, 2003 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by MagusG
First, legos kick ass. Second, take it apart, put all the parts in static bags, put them in a suitcase, carry it with you and buy a new case when you get there. As for the monitor, sell it, and buy another one when you get there. It can't be economical to ship something like that internationally.
-Mag

Damn, you beat me to it.
tongue.gif
You're right about the international shipping, though. It is relatively cheaper to ship larger stuff, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back