Shinola (w/ Campfire Audio) Canfield IEM & Canfield Pro IEM
Aug 29, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #16 of 39
Bummer! I was hoping you were going to review them, I enjoy reading your reviews! But spot on post. Personal preference is the big factor. I don't have great IEM experience, but I really like the Canfield Pros. I find myself reaching for them over my P9s often, but we are still in the honeymoon phase to be sure. Will see if my opinion sours on them later.

Would really love to hear a $1000+ IEM somewhere down the line :)

Please, don't get discouraged or go by what I like or don't like. Every review or impression is just a single data point. Perhaps, when you are trying to decide and narrow the selection down, reviews could be helpful if you don't have access to audition the product, but when you already have it in your ears and enjoying it - that's all that matters, bud, We all have personal taste, which also changes over time. Now and then I reach out to some of the IEMs I reviewed a few years ago, and no longer can tolerate them. Or a few that I found harsh in the past, now sounds OK to my ears (hearing sensitivity and tolerance to 10k and 12k treble peaks changes with age, etc).

I'm at the point of my "hobby" where I'm overwhelmed with review requests and probably test and write about half of the stuff sent to me by manufacturers (i have full time demanding job, family, kids, side projects, etc). So, I choose to write about products I like and want to share about with my readers. But it doesn't make other product bad or inferior. Just a matter of a personal taste, a single data point :wink: So, please, never get discouraged or change your opinion about something that you like just because someone else doesn't like it. The same way how you should take some reviews with a grain of salt.

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #17 of 39
Please, don't get discouraged or go by what I like or don't like. Every review or impression is just a single data point. Perhaps, when you are trying to decide and narrow the selection down, reviews could be helpful if you don't have access to audition the product, but when you already have it in your ears and enjoying it - that's all that matters, bud, We all have personal taste, which also changes over time. Now and then I reach out to some of the IEMs I reviewed a few years ago, and no longer can tolerate them. Or a few that I found harsh in the past, now sounds OK to my ears (hearing sensitivity and tolerance to 10k and 12k treble peaks changes with age, etc).

I'm at the point of my "hobby" where I'm overwhelmed with review requests and probably test and write about half of the stuff sent to me by manufacturers (i have full time demanding job, family, kids, side projects, etc). So, I choose to write about products I like and want to share about with my readers. But it doesn't make other product bad or inferior. Just a matter of a personal taste, a single data point :wink: So, please, never get discouraged or change your opinion about something that you like just because someone else doesn't like it. The same way how you should take some reviews with a grain of salt.

Not at all! Simply meant to say that I find your reviews interesting as I go about learning more about all this stuff. No need to agree on whether the item in question is good :) I just saw in this thread (after I purchased and positively rated my Canfield Pros) that you were planning to review and was looking forward to it. Nothing more! And I agree with everything in the above post about personal taste.

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #18 of 39
Not at all! Simply meant to say that I find your reviews interesting as I go about learning more about all this stuff. No need to agree on whether the item in question is good :) I just saw in this thread (after I purchased and positively rated my Canfield Pros) that you were planning to review and was looking forward to it. Nothing more! And I agree with everything in the above post about personal taste.

I have heard a number of $1000+ IEMs and own a $1700 IEM. I find that for most people they are overkill.

I enjoyed both Shinola IEMs. They have interesting sound signatures with a shared set of core characteristics that should really appeal to people who like Campfire IEMs and IEMs. Regardless, I still find myself reaching for other IEMs over the Shinola twins. They're great, don't get me wrong, but there are other products that more closely match my personal preferences. And at the end of the day, that's all that really matters which, like @twister6 said, each review should be used as a single point to paint a larger picture about how you might like an IEM.

Sep 6, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #19 of 39
For me these acted as a sort of gateway drug. I was looking for a replacement for my Sennheiser IE800s and I came across these beauties at my local Shinola store. After reading that they collaborated with Campfire Audio, I was willing to give them a try. Long story short, I enjoyed their sound, aesthetics, build quality, and comfort so much that it pushed me finally take the plunge and buy the Campfire Audio Andromedas (which I had been eyeing for some time).

Going deeper into the sound of the Canfield Pros, I found the bass to be a tad light for my personal tastes (although very taught and articulate). The overall sound signature was mid-centric, which were quite textured and resolving. Finally, the highs were at once resolving and smooth, much like the renowned balance achieved by the Andromeda.

To me, the differences between the two can be heard in the Andromeda's fuller and deeper bass presence and a bit more resolution on top (which in turn makes it a bit harsher). Everything else (build, comfort, style, accessories) were comparable. As a lifelong audiophile, the difference in the two highlights the classic law of diminishing returns, where $600 more gave me just a fraction more of everything the Canfield's posses.

Sep 6, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #20 of 39
For me these acted as a sort of gateway drug. I was looking for a replacement for my Sennheiser IE800s and I came across these beauties at my local Shinola store. After reading that they collaborated with Campfire Audio, I was willing to give them a try. Long story short, I enjoyed their sound, aesthetics, build quality, and comfort so much that it pushed me finally take the plunge and buy the Campfire Audio Andromedas (which I had been eyeing for some time).

Going deeper into the sound of the Canfield Pros, I found the bass to be a tad light for my personal tastes (although very taught and articulate). The overall sound signature was mid-centric, which were quite textured and resolving. Finally, the highs were at once resolving and smooth, much like the renowned balance achieved by the Andromeda.

To me, the differences between the two can be heard in the Andromeda's fuller and deeper bass presence and a bit more resolution on top (which in turn makes it a bit harsher). Everything else (build, comfort, style, accessories) were comparable. As a lifelong audiophile, the difference in the two highlights the classic law of diminishing returns, where $600 more gave me just a fraction more of everything the Canfield's posses.

Wonder if you were using smaller eartips, causing a poor seal? Only saying it because based on what I heard and what I measured (using Veritas coupler), these have a big low-end slam and thick lower mids (sounds like mid-bass bleeds a bit into lower mids, and with a thicker/fuller body the sound is a bit veiled to my ears). I actually found mids to be a bit recessed (perhaps due to a bass lift), though they do have a good level of clarity and retrieval of details, while lower treble has a spike between 6k and 7k and upper treble is rolled off. I don't rule out nothing is wrong with either yours or my pairs of shinola canfield pros, but based on what I heard and what I measured, those were a classic example of L-shaped tuning. Maybe I should revisit these again, need to find the box.

Sep 6, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #21 of 39
Wonder if you were using smaller eartips, causing a poor seal? Only saying it because based on what I heard and what I measured (using Veritas coupler), these have a big low-end slam and thick lower mids (sounds like mid-bass bleeds a bit into lower mids, and with a thicker/fuller body the sound is a bit veiled to my ears). I actually found mids to be a bit recessed (perhaps due to a bass lift), though they do have a good level of clarity and retrieval of details, while lower treble has a spike between 6k and 7k and upper treble is rolled off. I don't rule out nothing is wrong with either yours or my pairs of shinola canfield pros, but based on what I heard and what I measured, those were a classic example of L-shaped tuning. Maybe I should revisit these again, need to find the box.

You know, you're right about the thick lower mids I definitely remember hearing that. Another thing is that I only listened to them for the initial 60-70 hours so it was their during burn-in period if that makes a difference. As for the eartips, I was using the stock silicone medium. It was a perfect fit, but I have heard and experienced that using foam eartips by and large results in more bass. Either way, your post has me rethinking my mid centric/light bass assessment and now I'm looking forward to setting my Andromedas down and doing some more listening to the Canfields:wink: Will report back...

Sep 7, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #22 of 39
I think the answer is somewhere in between both assessments -- these IEMs definitely have some bass presence, but I consider them to be my flatter, more mid-centric headphones. Resolution is great, but the bass is lacking in comparison to what I've grown accustomed to with my P9s (and this isn't a good or a bad thing, they're just different and I use them differently). But I can only compare them to things I've heard, which is far more limited than basically everyone else here :)

Sep 7, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #23 of 39
I think the answer is somewhere in between both assessments -- these IEMs definitely have some bass presence, but I consider them to be my flatter, more mid-centric headphones. Resolution is great, but the bass is lacking in comparison to what I've grown accustomed to with my P9s (and this isn't a good or a bad thing, they're just different and I use them differently). But I can only compare them to things I've heard, which is far more limited than basically everyone else here :)

Always helps when people mention what you're comparing it to, gives a better relative perspective. Don't have P9, but I do have P7 and those are a bit bass heavy for me :wink:

Btw, a bit off-topic, but did you see DMS rant calling P9 the worst headphones ever? :D

Sep 7, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #24 of 39
Haha, yes I saw that and regarded it as a case of "obvious troll is obvious." I feel like there's a part of the backstory to that review we don't know about :) I had the original P7s for like 5 years before getting the P9s recently, and I definitely came to regard the P7s as too v-shaped. The P9 definitely has what I guess you could call bigger bass? It leaves an impression, you feel it. But the mids are definitely more present in the P9 than the P7. Part of the problem might be is that I made my first DAP purchase with the P7s, a FiiO X5III and in hindsight I'm convinced that was a bad pairing more than anything else leaving me to conclude the P7s were too v-shaped. The P9s also gave a too much bass impression until I moved to the DX200. Moral of the story on the P9s is they are extraordinarily sensitive to their source, they change from FiiO X5III to DX200, and again from Amp1 to Amp7, and also from iPhone 3.5mm to iPhone lightning cable.

But these Canfield Pros seem to play nice with everything :)

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #25 of 39

I'd be curious to see what others measure with the Pros. I found that while the mids were thicker and the upper treble was indeed rolled off, I failed to eek out anything I could call a bass "slam". To my ears, even with my best-sealing eartips, the Pro's bass is somewhat subdued.

Apr 17, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #26 of 39
Just picked the pro IEMs up for a song from Nordstrom's, and was alerted to the fact that while they advertise them as "quad armatures", they really only have 2 per side (so four total). I've only ever seen that in Chi-Fi products such as the CCA C10.

Just so everyone is aware.

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #27 of 39
Just picked the pro IEMs up for a song from Nordstrom's, and was alerted to the fact that while they advertise them as "quad armatures", they really only have 2 per side (so four total). I've only ever seen that in Chi-Fi products such as the CCA C10.

Just so everyone is aware.

How do you like them? Anyone else get a pair of these? They're on sale for a great price! https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/product/2811255/shinola-canfield-pro-in-ear-black?color=SILVER

Apr 18, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #29 of 39
also ordered a pair tonight, couldn't resist this deal :ksc75smile:
received_268562967383698.jpeg

Says Black in the title but silver in color below... .

Apr 19, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #30 of 39
I have been & still interested in the Canfield Pros for a long, long time.

It be nice if Shinola could send these outside the US & Europe but that's life.

Maybe one day, Shinola, one day but till that day, there are so many others.

Hope everyone has a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back