Shinola (w/ Campfire Audio) Canfield IEM & Canfield Pro IEM
Jun 18, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #33 of 39
Just picked the pro IEMs up for a song from Nordstrom's, and was alerted to the fact that while they advertise them as "quad armatures", they really only have 2 per side (so four total). I've only ever seen that in Chi-Fi products such as the CCA C10.

Just so everyone is aware.

I'm not sure this is true. But could be wrong! The description of what they're calling quad armature isn't the clearest advertising copy ever written: "Each Pro In-Ear monitor is powered by two high-end balanced armature receivers, a bass woofer and a mid-high range tweeter."

I interpreted that, and still do, as quad armature. Four components doing different jobs. Am I misunderstanding how other quad armature IEMs are designed? (Honest question)

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #34 of 39
I just got a pair of these - couldn't resist at the price. These things sound pretty damn nice. Is it weird that they sound better over BT and Es100 than my desktop setup?

Jul 12, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #35 of 39
I just got a pair of these - couldn't resist at the price. These things sound pretty damn nice. Is it weird that they sound better over BT and Es100 than my desktop setup?

Yeah I think this are great little IEMs, but tbh the only other IEMs I’ve ever heard are FiiO F9 Pros. Considering looking at some other stuff in the $500 range (original price of the Canfield) but I’d be surprised to find something that vastly outperforms them. Gonna sample the iBasso IT04 and new FiiO FH7 at some point, just to see.

The Canfields are excellent with Conform ear tips. I wonder how they’d respond to an after market cable.

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #36 of 39
Had a chance to A/B test the Canfield Pros today with the iBasso IT04, and I now am more convinced than ever that the Canfields are top notch. They're a bit more bass-oriented, but not overly so. The IT04 surely is more neutral and has a bit wider soundstage. The difference overall was subtle, and I'd say they're both just as resolving. Didn't see any real reason to buy the IT04 and retire the Canfield Pros.

That said, the IT04s come with iBasso's CB12s cable, which is sold separately too. I plugged the Canfield Pros into the cable, and there was a profound difference in their performance over the stock cable. So I just purchased the CB12s. And now I'm not tempted to try another $500 quad driver IEM. Maybe if I compared the Canfields to another quad BA (IT04 is 3BA+1DD), I'd feel differently. Still have never heard a celebrated IEM like the Campfire Andromeda.

Seems like Canfield Pro + some form of decent after market upgrade cable is a pretty impressive IEM.

Jul 19, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #39 of 39
Had a chance to A/B test the Canfield Pros today with the iBasso IT04, and I now am more convinced than ever that the Canfields are top notch. They're a bit more bass-oriented, but not overly so. The IT04 surely is more neutral and has a bit wider soundstage. The difference overall was subtle, and I'd say they're both just as resolving. Didn't see any real reason to buy the IT04 and retire the Canfield Pros.

That said, the IT04s come with iBasso's CB12s cable, which is sold separately too. I plugged the Canfield Pros into the cable, and there was a profound difference in their performance over the stock cable. So I just purchased the CB12s. And now I'm not tempted to try another $500 quad driver IEM. Maybe if I compared the Canfields to another quad BA (IT04 is 3BA+1DD), I'd feel differently. Still have never heard a celebrated IEM like the Campfire Andromeda.

Seems like Canfield Pro + some form of decent after market upgrade cable is a pretty impressive IEM.

Hi @mattb0401,

Good to hear your impressions on the Canfield Pros, been after these for a while though given I am outside the US, it makes it extremely messy & pricey to get but maybe one day.
I still hold out hope. :p

Anyway, IT 04 is a very good IEM which I enjoy immensely though I wouldn't exactly call it neutral but it does have a nice balance to it, especially with a good, well recorded source & cable.
I would suggest since you like the CB 12, try the CB 13, much nicer pairing with the IT 04 sonically which also gives a wider, yet more intimate staging though a close second would be ISN Audio H 16 or Penon GS 849 with Penon OS 849 a nice third option.
If you need more bass, ISN Audio C 16 works nicely too.

Hope this all makes sense.

Hope you have a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back