Sheilded VS UnSheilded Power Cables
Apr 3, 2008 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

r3cc0s

500+ Head-Fier
After reading Markl's review of his 22 power cables

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a rule of thumb as to whether unshielded vs shielded had much differences in tonal characteristics

I finally discovered through diligently looking up that I have a set of 17504 Volex power cables

Reading Markl's review, he made mention that the 17604 shielded brother happens to have warm overtones, where as the Jellyfish/Iron Lung was more extended and analytical

Partnered in my present gear, which is a Jolida JD100 (with electro harmonix tubes) and a Conrad CAV-50
My setup on the totem Arros appear to be fast, airy and dry... which is strange considered my setup
(which includes Outlaw PCA cables)

The previous power cord I was using, was a DIY silver 14guage as well (well shielded) which shares more in common with the reviews of the 17604 shielded, being warm and lush...

Very strange, but does anyone have a quick answer?

Apr 3, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 2
It depends on your power supply. Call or e-mail the manufacturer to ask about the design and whether or not it is designed to filter noise off the line. Power supplies have a wide array of designs - they are rarely similar between two pieces of gear. That's why it's best to contact the manufacturer and ask them if anything in their power supply allows line noise through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back