Sheepdogs and Red Hot Chili Peppers
Aug 29, 2011 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
So I was at Walmart at lunch today picking up some stuff for yard work and swung by the CD section. I noticed the new Red Hot Chili Peppers CD (I'm With You) was released...listened to it a few times tonight and I'm glad to say, the boys are back. Great album.

I also noticed that the Sheepdog's CD (Learn and Burn) was also out...so I picked that one up too. I'm always one for supporting Canadian musicians and WOW...I am impressed. If you're a fan of '70s rock (like I am), you owe it to yourself to give these guys a try. I heard about them winning that contest Rolling Stone and they certainly deserve it. Great musicians and great music.
L3000.gif

Aug 30, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 9
See this thread for a discussion on the mastering of the new RHCP album:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/568960/what-about-the-mastering-of-the-new-rhcp-album-i-m-with-you

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
See this thread for a discussion on the mastering of the new RHCP album:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/568960/what-about-the-mastering-of-the-new-rhcp-album-i-m-with-you

It wasn't the greatest quality sound wise, but the music is fantastic.

Aug 30, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 9
Aug 30, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
I agree with that.
beerchug.gif

Didn't Rick Rubin also work on Death Magnetic? That was another bad "sounding" album (with great Metallica music). Apparently the group started their tour prior to the release and after hearing the excessive compression, Lars was furious.

Apparently the Guitar Hero album download had less compression and sounded better than the CD.

Aug 30, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Didn't Rick Rubin also work on Death Magnetic? That was another bad "sounding" album (with great Metallica music). Apparently the group started their tour prior to the release and after hearing the excessive compression, Lars was furious.

Apparently the Guitar Hero album download had less compression and sounded better than the CD.

Yes, Rick Rubin also worked on Death Magnetic. However, that Lars story is not the one I heard. I heard the band requested they make it louder after hearing a test master played on their cell phones.

I don't think Rick Rubin is the one responsible as Californication, Stadium Arcadium and I'm With You all sound wonderful if you have heard the right versions.

I think the main problem with Death Magnetic was in the mix and mastering stages. The Guitar Hero version might have less compression, but it still sounds bad.

Aug 31, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Yes, Rick Rubin also worked on Death Magnetic. However, that Lars story is not the one I heard. I heard the band requested they make it louder after hearing a test master played on their cell phones.

I don't think Rick Rubin is the one responsible as Californication, Stadium Arcadium and I'm With You all sound wonderful if you have heard the right versions.

I think the main problem with Death Magnetic was in the mix and mastering stages. The Guitar Hero version might have less compression, but it still sounds bad.

How, where?  I want!! 
blink.gif

Edit:  If you can find me a better copy of By the Way also, much obliged lol 

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 9
Me too.... Isn't there an un mastered version somewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back