Shaving Problem, can Head-Fi help me?
Aug 30, 2007 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

terance

1000+ Head-Fier
ok head-fi, let's see if you can solve this one. . .

I am a 20 year old male, and I am having A LOT of trouble shaving my neck.

I've always had this problem, but I am pretty sick of it. I can never seem to get a smooth shave in my neck area. My face is always smooth (I have a problem with redness under my nose, but other than that I am happy), but the neck is a problem.

I use the nivea for men preshave and I rub that into my skin, and then rinse it out. Then I use a sensative shave gel, I always use sensative for some reason, and lather up my face (after it is wet). I use the Gilette Fusion Power (just got it today, noticibly more smooth than the Gillete Fusion).

I use downstrokes from left to right, and then upstrokes from left to right. I do this on both my face and my neck, however when I shave my neck there is some pain associated with it. It isn't a lot of pain it's enough to have put up with for the past 5-6 years but now I am pretty sick of it.

My other problem is shaving under my nose, the mustache area. I can never get that area of my face smooth in the slight bit.

for reference the mother's side of my family has HORRIBLE skin, which I seem to have gotten. My grandfather's acne was so bad that his face still has many scares, and he is now 75. My mother has a history of exema (sp?). I still have acne (and have since I was 14. . .6 years). My diet is pretty good, I am a vegetarian, and I exercise many times a day, I don't know if these are factors in how your skin reacts.

I found a shaving-fi thread, but it didn't really help situation much at all, but for those who are interested, here it is.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...hlight=shaving

thanks head-fi

-matt

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 22
I have the same problem, so I'm no help. The whiskers on my neck go every which way and it makes it hard to shave them close. I usually go up, down, at an angle, and sideways to get the little buggers, but even that doesn't leave my neck baby smooth. I'm very interested to see where this thread goes!

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 22
I too have pretty bad acne (at age 24) and have issues getting a perfectly smooth shave on my neck. There are a few spots that I just can't seem to get smooth, no matter angle I hit them from.

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 22
two things that may help, if you don't already do it.

1. when do you shave? after a shower or whenever. for me, i can only shave after a pretty hot shower. otherwise, the blade doesn't go smoothly across my skin. even applying hot water to my face through a towel doesn't help. it has to be after a hot shower.

2. for me, the hair on my neck area does not really grow up or down but at angles and it varies from side to side. have you ever closely examined your neck to see how the hair grows. find out and shave only in that direction.

other than that and the basics of using a good pre-shave lotion and a sharp blade, i have no other suggestions.

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 22
Shave after a hot shower or after applying hot water to your face via splashing or a towel. Make sure to use a shaving brush to work the lather into your skin for at least a good minute. Then shave with the grain, never against. Now apply cold water to your face and use aftershave if needed. The pre-shave gel is a good idea too.

Aug 30, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 22
I have found that the less products that I use when shaving the better my skin and shave are. I would expect that if you're using allot of products and always have that your skin may not be up to it. Hot water to soften the hair is needed so I have to do it right out of the shower. My facial hair is like wire so YMMV.

Aug 30, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 22
Try getting a steam-proof mirror for the shower and shave while hot water is running directly on the area you are shaving. I used to use this method when shaving everyday was a job requirement and it made a big difference. Good luck.

Aug 30, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #9 of 22
for reference I have been saving at the sink, I used to shave in the shower, but I felt that I never got a smooth shave (even on my face) in the shower.

so many awesome recommendations, I will keep using the pre-shave lotion, and I will look at my neck more closely to see which way those little bastards are growing.

if worse comes to worse, I could try shaving my neck in the shower again (with water running over it), but that would really be last resort.

thanks for all of the great responses, keep these puppies coming
eggosmile.gif

Aug 30, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 22
I perform these steps and get a pretty good results each time:
* Warm moist towel for 2 minutes, or take a shower.
* Apply shaving foam using a good shaving brush.
* Shave using a sharp razor.
* Rinse off.
* Repeat foaming and shaving a second time.

Aug 30, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I perform these steps and get a pretty good results each time:
* Warm moist towel for 2 minutes, or take a shower.

i usually only splash my face a couple times with water, I am going to try this tomorrow (a few people beside you recommended it).

hopefully it works!

Aug 30, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 22
I shave using a mach3 with the grain in the shower without shaving cream or a mirror. If my face isn't soaked before I shave, shaving is painful. Shaving against the grain irritates my skin and gives me ingrown hairs. My neck doesn't feel perfectly smooth but it's good enough. It may be something you'll have to learn to live with.

Aug 31, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I shave using a mach3 with the grain in the shower without shaving cream or a mirror. If my face isn't soaked before I shave, shaving is painful. Shaving against the grain irritates my skin and gives me ingrown hairs. My neck doesn't feel perfectly smooth but it's good enough. It may be something you'll have to learn to live with.

i'd really hate having to live with it =/

i am going to try going back to using soap when i shave, a few people here have mentioned that, also soaking my neck with a warm towel first.

Sep 4, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok head-fi, let's see if you can solve this one. . .

I am a 20 year old male, and I am having A LOT of trouble shaving my neck.

I've always had this problem, but I am pretty sick of it. I can never seem to get a smooth shave in my neck area. My face is always smooth (I have a problem with redness under my nose, but other than that I am happy), but the neck is a problem.

I use the nivea for men preshave and I rub that into my skin, and then rinse it out. Then I use a sensative shave gel, I always use sensative for some reason, and lather up my face (after it is wet). I use the Gilette Fusion Power (just got it today, noticibly more smooth than the Gillete Fusion).

I use downstrokes from left to right, and then upstrokes from left to right. I do this on both my face and my neck, however when I shave my neck there is some pain associated with it. It isn't a lot of pain it's enough to have put up with for the past 5-6 years but now I am pretty sick of it.

My other problem is shaving under my nose, the mustache area. I can never get that area of my face smooth in the slight bit.

for reference the mother's side of my family has HORRIBLE skin, which I seem to have gotten. My grandfather's acne was so bad that his face still has many scares, and he is now 75. My mother has a history of exema (sp?). I still have acne (and have since I was 14. . .6 years). My diet is pretty good, I am a vegetarian, and I exercise many times a day, I don't know if these are factors in how your skin reacts.

I found a shaving-fi thread, but it didn't really help situation much at all, but for those who are interested, here it is.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...hlight=shaving

thanks head-fi

-matt

Forget that Fusion and everything you have "learned" about shaving. Check out the forum here, and get ready to open your eyes. Trust me, you won't look back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back