Shaving, gents
Dec 30, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #647 of 943
Quote:
Anyone used the Merkur blades? They're a lot more expensive than most other blades, I wonder if they're worth it.

Yes.

IMHO, the are the bare minimum. I don't like them. Considering the price...they really suck.

Try to get some Yellow Shark Stainless Steel blades. Cheap, sharp and smooth.

Dec 30, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #649 of 943
Quote:
Thanks, I'll check if I can find them here in Europe.

I believe these guys ship from Turkey.

http://shop.bestshave.net/100-shark-super-stainless-de-blades-p-98.html

Also...that's the price for 100 blades!!!

5 Merkur blades at a local store here in the states runs you $5.49.

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #651 of 943
I felt the need to report in that Kiss My Face makes a DAM FINE LATHER!. I had on of my best shaves last night.

Merkur 23C
Kiss My Face Cool Mint Moisture Shave
Tweezerman Brush
Gillette 7 O'clock Black Blades
Dominica Lime Bay Rum

Jan 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #652 of 943
I've tried l'occitane Cade (soap + cream) today. Great stuff really, wonderful lather, nice scent and no irritations at all (much less than my Taylor jermyn street).

I also tried to do 2 pass and it worked pretty well...

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #653 of 943
Just to resurrect the "size" issue.

The big handle stuff seems to just be a foible of modern life. What used to be mid-size or compact cars now seem a lot bloatier in later versions of the same model. And I doubt many people can park in garages built before the early 1970s.

Same* with razors. The last venetian blind I used was a present from Mrs D, and very nice ( fancy porcelain handle ) it was too - apart from the sharp end, of course.

When I went old-timey with the Superspeed, it felt really dinky, but I got used to it in no time. Trying out the fancy one now makes me think there is a garden rake missing a handle somewhere...

*...OK, it probably isn't.

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #654 of 943
Quote:
Just to resurrect the "size" issue.

The big handle stuff seems to just be a foible of modern life. What used to be mid-size or compact cars now seem a lot bloatier in later versions of the same model. And I doubt many people can park in garages built before the early 1970s.

Same* with razors. The last venetian blind I used was a present from Mrs D, and very nice ( fancy porcelain handle ) it was too - apart from the sharp end, of course.

When I went old-timey with the Superspeed, it felt really dinky, but I got used to it in no time. Trying out the fancy one now makes me think there is a garden rake missing a handle somewhere...

*...OK, it probably isn't.

Well, I don't think that it's an issue when it comes to razor handles. I have pretty big hands, with long and thin fingers, and I like bigger handles more... Even though I could certainly get used to smaller ones.

Now have you seen the latest breed of high-end brushes? That is insanity.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #655 of 943
Interesting discovery this morning.

I've just shaved using a "Korres" exfoliating body soap (don't ask me why...) and you know what? It worked !! On par with my Taylor..

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #656 of 943
Quote:
Well, I don't think that it's an issue when it comes to razor handles. I have pretty big hands, with long and thin fingers, and I like bigger handles more... Even though I could certainly get used to smaller ones.

Now have you seen the latest breed of high-end brushes? That is insanity.

That's why I recommend everyone just get a Turkish horsehair brush!

They are awesome!

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #657 of 943
Quote:

They are awesome!

I confess that I own a Simpson Chubby 2 and I absolutely love it 
biggrin.gif
. However, a horse hair brush for $2.45 is certainly intriguing!

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #658 of 943
Quote:

They are awesome!

I did take the step to get the DE razor, but im still just using barbasol and applying it with my hands like i always have.

Is there really that much benefit to using the brush and a fancier cream or bar for the lather? i also shave every day so i never really have any growth on my face.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #659 of 943
Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster.

I have a couple of questions.

I'm using the run of the mill Schick Hydro gel, and Mach 3, and shave every alternate day.

Firstly, I've never managed to have a smooth shave with going with the grain, so I generally shave in both directions. Is it ok to do that?
I've never faced any problems, but it does give a good shave. 

Also, how many shaves should I use a cartridge for? Is it better to use the safety razor with blades?

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #660 of 943
Is there really that much benefit to using the brush and a fancier cream or bar for the lather? i also shave every day so i never really have any growth on my face.

To the brush… Eh. I put it down to more of a life-hack thing. You know, those things that don’t cost a lot but make you feel better about your existence? Like switching from cheap wire hangers to wooden ones.

In terms of fancy shaving cream, your mileage will vary but I find I do get a better shave. The other thing is that cheap shaving soap/cream smells awful. Or, when it doesn’t smell like the worst part of a drug store, it smells just meh. Not good, not bad. Take a little step up in quality and suddenly a whole new range of cents open up to you. I’m a big fan of a citrus smell in the morning. My soap reflects that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back