Shaving, gents
Oct 9, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #152 of 943
I picked up an Ansgar scuttle - nothing beats that when talking about hot lather.
biggrin.gif

attachment.php

Not mine but very similar!

Oct 9, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #153 of 943
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up an Ansgar scuttle - nothing beats that when talking about hot lather.
biggrin.gif

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/attachm...1&d=1188027398

Not mine but very similar!

Nice!
biggrin.gif

I am looking for a shave mug, and might have to look into 'Ansgar'. Cause tht one looks handy...

Oct 10, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #154 of 943
As one of a few i use an electric razor a Philishave, before I shave I use a siliconebased lubricant (normally used for nighttime activities) it makes the shave almost as smoth as a blade...

Sometimes I use aftershave but not very often..

I switched to electric ½ a year ago and it is much cheaper and easier than using gillette blades it takes a bit longer, but with an electric razor I can watch the TV at the same time...

I shave every day exept weekends..

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #155 of 943
I have to shave everyday for work...and at this point in my life my hair grows at a rate which (24 hours later) when I need to shave it just thick, rough stubble. For the longest time I looked for the perfect shave, I've come close. My Method:

Wash and rinse face under hot water while showering
Wet Face with Hot water
Kiss My Face Shaving cream (used with mug and brush)
Mach3 by Gillette, soaked in Hot water

Shave with the grain, against the grain and then across the grain.
Aftershave (Old Spice) then Moisturizer (Prevents razor burn)

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #156 of 943
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice!
biggrin.gif

I am looking for a shave mug, and might have to look into 'Ansgar'. Cause tht one looks handy...

I just got it, and I have to say it's HUGE. As a size comparison, it'll swallow up 3-4 standard soap pucks, inside the main cup, and have plenty of space left over around the soap. My little brush is swallowed up by the big ceramic monster.

Haven't shaved with it yet, looking forward to WARM lather this time around.
smily_headphones1.gif

It'll be cheaper for you because you're in Europe - cheaper shipping since he's a European guy.

EDIT: Link is here.

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #157 of 943
Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out.
Warm lather is a huge part of the shaving experience, and it sure looks like this scuttle can make it possible.

Oct 13, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #158 of 943
I haven't read all the posts here..but whats a DE razor? and how do you warm lather shave with a mug?

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #159 of 943
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't read all the posts here..but whats a DE razor?

Dual Edge razor. As in a razor for dual edge blades

Like this one, a 1961 Gillette Adjustable:
40141667xd1.jpg

Blades:
mob_razor_blade_050507.jpg

Quote:

and how do you warm lather shave with a mug?

You preheat the mug and brush using warm water, then pour out the water and lather up. Some mugs have compartment to store water during the whole session as well.

Oct 15, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #160 of 943
Oct 15, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #161 of 943
folks once you go dual you can't go back to the mach3 or the other abomination 5 blade razor. A dual edge (safety razor) will take no more time to shave than a mach 3 and perform significantly better. Your shave will be closer and with less irritation. The key with any razor is light to NO pressure let the blade do the work. I get pretty wicked skin irritations and since going DE it is a thing of the past.

Next stop is single edge bade shaving, not for the faint of heart though

Oct 15, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #162 of 943
I am three weeks into DEing and my electric or mach 3 has not been picked up since.It may take a little longer but you do get a better shave. I picked up a MERKUR FUTUR. For 50 to 60 bucks you can't go wrong plus .50 cents a blade is a big difference from the 20 bucks for a pack of mach 3's.

Oct 15, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #163 of 943
You can pick up a hundred DERBY extra razor blades on ebay for under 20 bucks. You can't do that with mach 3's.

Oct 15, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #164 of 943
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
folks once you go dual you can't go back to the mach3 or the other abomination 5 blade razor. A dual edge (safety razor) will take no more time to shave than a mach 3 and perform significantly better. Your shave will be closer and with less irritation.

So true!
I switched to DE some 5-6 weeks back. It took me a couple of weeks to get a hold of it (learning the technique and which steps to use on the adjustable razor). But I now get a much tighter shave and less irritation than with my previous 3-blade Wilkinson Sword.

DE forever!
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #165 of 943
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could use a scuttle to warm your lather. Do a query on moss scuttle and you will see what I am thinking of purchasing.

edit: here is the link ; http://www.sarabonnymanpottery.com/moss_scuttle.htm

attachment.php

Why go small, when you can go HUGE?!

Not mine - I don't have a Moss scuttle - but it illustrates the size difference nicely.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back