Shaving, gents
Sep 2, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #91 of 943
Well I've only been shaving for less than a year...so I don't know much. But instead of giving me a shaving lesson or something my dad just handed me this antique AA battery powered electric contraption which was ok for the first few weeks until I upgraded to a Philips 7100 series (which is so much beter than the antique one). And electric works great. It takes me less than 5 mintues to shave and rinse out the hair chamber thing. I put it on the charger every three days or so. I don't need to shave everyday but I usually do so anyway becasue I hate that prickly feeling.

What I want to know is: considering there is these electric shavers around where you don't need any shaving cream or aftershave and you don't even need water, there is no risk of cutting yourself or anything...WHY in the world do people use a razor with a blade and shaving cream and all that? Surely it is more cumbersome and takes longer than a quick going-over with an electric??

Sep 2, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #92 of 943
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I've only been shaving for less than a year...so I don't know much. But instead of giving me a shaving lesson or something my dad just handed me this antique AA battery powered electric contraption which was ok for the first few weeks until I upgraded to a Philips 7100 series (which is so much beter than the antique one). And electric works great. It takes me less than 5 mintues to shave and rinse out the hair chamber thing. I put it on the charger every three days or so. I don't need to shave everyday but I usually do so anyway becasue I hate that prickly feeling.

What I want to know is: considering there is these electric shavers around where you don't need any shaving cream or aftershave and you don't even need water, there is no risk of cutting yourself or anything...WHY in the world do people use a razor with a blade and shaving cream and all that? Surely it is more cumbersome and takes longer than a quick going-over with an electric??

Have you ever shaved with a razor? Using a blade and cream will get you a waaaaaay closer shave than any electric. Electric's are good for convenience, but unless you're willing to spend a couple hundred bucks on a really good one, the old fashion way yields much better results.

I used a razor and cream for years... just a few months ago I picked up a Braun electric for about 80$ and when I first used it I was pretty disappointed. It was nice that I didn't cut myself but the overall quality of the shave was at least a few steps down. I save it for those days where I wake up late and don't have time...

Sep 3, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #93 of 943
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You should really look into acquiring a real razor, a double-edge safety. I've only used an electric once, when my brother picked one up, I gave it a shot--it was crap. His shave always looks awful, missed spots everywhere, and it seems to irritate his skin quite a bit.

There's no way an electric shaver can cut hair anywhere near as close to the skin as a real blade, due to the nature of the thing. If there's no risk of cutting oneself, then you're obviously not cutting anywhere near the skin, and therefore are leaving hair on your face. I use the whole schtick, double-edge razor, cake soap, badger brush, and it easily does far better than my old commercial shaving kit, and is not even in the same league as a crappy electric. Not only does it work better, but I like the idea of it. Real blade, real soap, real brush, real shave. Call me a romantic, but I like it better that way.

Sep 3, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #94 of 943
I use a Schick Xtreme3 hand shaver with Edge shaving gel. I LOVE the Xtreme3 shaver because the triple-blade setup "bends" slightly to conform to my facial features, and the shaving gel ensures a really close shave (I've tried a hot shaving cream with a brush and while it does work well, it's too much of a hassle to make the shaving cream in the first place; the Edge shaving gel works as a decent substitute).

Sep 4, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #95 of 943
Well this thread ended up leading me into the "World of" DE (double edge) shaving. I have been shaving with double edge razors for a little over 4 months now, and would never go back to the BS multi-blade cartridge razors. The shave is so much more involved and so much better. Every morning I look forward to shaving (yes I even shave on Sunday mornings now), which is a 180 degree switch from considering it a chore.

I personally use a variety of vintage Gillette double edge razors I have purchased off eBay for varying amounts of money. I personally think the old Slim Adjustable razor is a great starting point because it is built to last (some examples are ~40 years old and still look good), can be sanitized very easily being made of nickel plated brass (no plastic), and can be had very cheaply. Soaps and creams are very easily had with a variety of styles and scents, and you can get a great badger brush for minimal cash.

You have to invest a little more up front, but DE blades are extremely cheap (just ordered 100 ISP blades for $12 shipped) and the shaves are so far better than any Mach3/Quattro/Fusion razor there is no comparison.

Sep 4, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #96 of 943
Another DE convert here. It's funny my first razor was a DE but I never really learn to use it well and mover to double blades. Picked up a Merkur and have only used it twice but man am I impressed. Wish I would have figured out how to use the DE back in the day oh well just a couple decades and I get back to it.

Sep 4, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #97 of 943
Schick/wilkonson sword Quatro titanium and Nivea Oil control gel,

i have greasy skin, and if i dont use a good sharp razor and the oil control gel, my face ends up looking like the dark side of the moon,

Sep 4, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #98 of 943
I don't like the use the old-style double-edge razors because 1) you have one shaving blade per pass (which means not so close shaves unless you have really hot shaving cream on your face) and 2) you have to constantly keep the razor clean by running it through water very frequently.

That's why I love my Schick Xtreme3 triple-blade shaver, shaving with Edge shaving gel--I've always gotten a clean, very close shave every time with no fuss.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #99 of 943
I'm 17 so I only need to shave once a week. Gillette Mach 3 with FOAM (hate gel). That's how I role.
biggrin.gif
Sometimes I have to shave quickly and just don't use foam.

Sep 4, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #100 of 943
Quote:

Originally Posted by SactoMan101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like the use the old-style double-edge razors because 1) you have one shaving blade per pass (which means not so close shaves unless you have really hot shaving cream on your face) and 2) you have to constantly keep the razor clean by running it through water very frequently.

That's why I love my Schick Xtreme3 triple-blade shaver, shaving with Edge shaving gel--I've always gotten a clean, very close shave every time with no fuss.
smily_headphones1.gif

My double-edge gives a much closer shave than my old multi-blade razor, pass for pass. The 'more blades, closer shave' myth is just advertising folks taking the proverbial piss.

Likewise, you should rinse the razor after every pass, no matter what kind you're using. I've found that while the hairs would get caught in and clog my old multi-blade fairly quickly, they never do with my DE.

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #101 of 943
Well, it's only got a single blade. It can't clog to begin with!
biggrin.gif

Look what I picked up on my small-towns roadtrip!

P1020936.jpg

A Gillette Aristocrat (late 40's) and Superspeed Blue-tip. All for 15USD... not bad!

Sep 15, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #102 of 943
I use the following shaving gear
* 1965 Gillette Slim Adjustable
* NOS Gillette blade
* Badger brush
* Arko Shaving Soap
* Vaseline 98% Aloe Vera Gel

Yes, I prefer the old fashion way...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back