Shaving, gents
May 1, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #61 of 943
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I shave by blowing my own breath back at my face.

You're mouth is like and aerosol can of Nair®... if such a thing existed. You should open your own depilatory parlor with magazines in the waiting room on a glass table and such.

Big K, I got this stubborn back hair. Feel like making a few birthday bucks?

May 2, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #62 of 943
1. I shave in the shower with my Norelco Cool Skin shave that my wife bought for me a couple of years ago. I can fill it with these Nivea lotion packets, but I think they are a rip off, so I usually just use Dove soap on my face to make it slippery before starting to shave.

2. I used to use razors, but this Cool Skin thing was good enough to make me switch to electric razors. Being able to use it in the shower is awesome.

3. Shaving with blades is still the closest shave you can get. If I were still in the military I'd use blades.

4. Shaving in the shower will soften up your beard and make things easier.

May 2, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #65 of 943
I use Gillette Fusion cream and Razor. Works the best for me so far.

I shave every few days though by 5 I have one hell of a shadow.

May 2, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #66 of 943
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On weekends and vacations, I usually turn to the '59 Gillette Fatboy my grandfather gave me. I've had it since I was 14-15 or so and I've kept it. It gets boiled every so often and is kept clean. I like the Merkur blades, but have used a few others. I'll lather up with a brush and mug and take my time. I really enjoy this, especially because the razor gets warm from the water and it feels great. If only I had time to do this every morning.

That's what I use, a 59 Gillette Fatboy. Right now I like the Derby blades because they're the most forgiving that I've used.

May 2, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #67 of 943
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a straight razor (the kind you see barbers use) and shaving soap in a mug with a brush.

When I'm hurrying, I use a normal 2 blade cheapo razor, but shaving with the straight razor has become sort of a "treat", something to enjoy, for me.

Where did you pick up your straight edge razor? I have been interested in these ever since I got a haircut in my youth from a barber who would shave the back of your neck (below the hair line) with a straight edge. it seemed like it worked real well. Plus watching the guy 'sharpen' the blade on a leather 'belt' was pretty cool. I have heard the only thing closer is a 'fire shave' where they actually burn the stubble off your face with what looks like a mini torch from back in history.

May 2, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #68 of 943
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you pick up your straight edge razor? I have been interested in these ever since I got a haircut in my youth from a barber who would shave the back of your neck (below the hair line) with a straight edge. it seemed like it worked real well. Plus watching the guy 'sharpen' the blade on a leather 'belt' was pretty cool. I have heard the only thing closer is a 'fire shave' where they actually burn the stubble off your face with what looks like a mini torch from back in history.

This place sells em, but I don't know much about single edges, just been looking at there double edges and brushes.

May 2, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #69 of 943
I have a heavy beard and those Mach 3 blades were giving me a lot of ingrown hairs (the multiple blades cutting the same hair stump is what does it)

So I switch to a safety blade system by Merkur using Merkur or sometimes the ultra sharp Feather blades. I use a Proraso and Trumper 50:50 mix for shaving cream. I like the Trumper Violet scent and Sandlewood. You need a badger brush too!

Incredible shave. I no longer get any ingrown hairs!

Also if you a cheepo like me the cost of those 4 and 5 bladed Mach whatevers is CRAZY!

Cheers!

May 2, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #70 of 943
Duggeh, I've been to Britain and I think the lack of fluoride isn't doing your island any favors. Can I recommend some good fluoridated toothpaste? Seriously, set an example for your countrymen.

May 3, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #72 of 943
I only shave once a week or so, but when I do I use a Braun 6520 electric.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizelbs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, me too. And boy am I dissappointed.

blink.gif
eek.gif

May 3, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #73 of 943
Braun electric razor. Many (many) years ago I got tired of slicing off the tops of my zits with a manual razor. Never looked back.

May 3, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #74 of 943
Heh, I got the same free blade thing from being a costco executive member. I've never used an electric shaver. It almost seems like cheating. But it comes down to whether you want to pay up front for an electric (which still uses electricity and needs maintenance), or just go with disposables. I wouldn't be surprised if the costs are similar. Personally, I'm not crazy of the idea of having a motor-operated razor shaving my face, I'd rather just use it myself. It isn't that hard. Either that, or Rambo it and use a hunting knife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back