Shaving, gents
Feb 4, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #916 of 921

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
I used to dabble around with cartridge razors from Gillette and electric shavers from both Philips Norelco and Braun. And when I used cartridge razors, I used whatever cheaper drugstore aerosol foam or gel that I felt like trying at the time.

Recently, I switched to a double-edge safety razor, and used a tube (not an aerosol can) of shaving cream. Except for a few minor nicks, I have gotten used to this type of shaving. I decided to start out with a variety pack of double-edge blades in order to find out which blade would suit me best. The blades in the variety package cost a bit more per blade than larger-packs of a single variety of blades but still much cheaper than the ridiculously high prices that drugstores charge for any double-edge razor refills (at drugstore prices, I would have ended up spending more than half as much money as I would have with a cartridge razor refill on a per-shave basis - too close for cost comfort).

While the double-edge razor (a Merkur 34c) will be my primary razor for at-home shaving, I will definitely keep my current Philips Norelco rotary electric razor for travel.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #917 of 921

kadinh

500+ Head-Fier
I decided to start out with a variety pack of double-edge blades in order to find out which blade would suit me best.
Feather....always and only Feather

Sep 15, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #918 of 921

PointyFox

Headphoneus Supremus
I think Feather is best for coarse hair and Derby is best for finer hair.
Derby is smoother than Feather and more gentle on skin, but doesn't cut as well as Feather.

Sep 20, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #920 of 921

Mimic

New Head-Fier
I've used safety (big foot brand? I can't remember) and was one of the quickest and easiest to maintain. Gillete glides of any style are okay to learn on, but eventually leave me wanting a cleaner shave when compared to a safety razor. Used a Braun 3 electric shaver which was good for sideburns/basic maintenance but found it actually nicked my skin more often than I was comfortable with.

Sep 25, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #921 of 921

Paul Mohr

100+ Head-Fier
Electric wet/dry shaver with shaving gel. I can't use a regular bladed razor. For whatever reason the skin on my neck is rough or something and it nicks the crap out of me. If I use a regular razor when I get done it looks like someone attacked me with a belt sander lol. I don't shave that often anymore though. I am single, don't work and am lazy lol. I let it grow out until it gets annoying then take a trimmer to it and shave with an electric razor. I normally do my hair at the same time. I don't pay to get my hair cut. I just buzz it off with clippers.

My hair grows fast though. I had a beard in the 8th grade and they made me shave it lol. In the military I had to shave twice a day in boot camp. I can grow a beard in about two weeks.

Lots of people shave in the shower, it is fairly common and saves time.

Users who are viewing this thread