Shaving, gents
Feb 4, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #736 of 949
Those Stainless Sharks are the best blades I've used and I only paid like $10 for 100 of them. I would like to try the Feather's some day, but I have been very happy with the cheap Sharks for the past year or so.

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #737 of 949
Quote:
Those Stainless Sharks are the best blades I've used and I only paid like $10 for 100 of them. I would like to try the Feather's some day, but I have been very happy with the cheap Sharks for the past year or so.

I rock the sharks, those or the Tree are my favorite

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #738 of 949
Quote:

Same here.

I only recently tried a feather and found it to be only slightly better than the Sharks.

For my money, I think I'll stick with the Sharks for the foreseeable future.

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #739 of 949
Well after mulling it over I've finally done it. Ordered all the necessary items last night and should be set to see what this whole shaving revolution will bring. I ordered:

Murkur classic
Proraso cream (eucalyptus & menthol)
Badger brush
100 derby blades

Hopefully this stuff will arrive in the next weeks so I can see what all the hubbub is about. The way I see it, the initial ~$70 investment is worth it considering the only thing I have to buy now is blades. Should be set on those for a while unless I want to try out others (sample pack maybe?).

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #740 of 949
Quote:
Well after mulling it over I've finally done it. Ordered all the necessary items last night and should be set to see what this whole shaving revolution will bring. I ordered:

Murkur classic
Proraso cream (eucalyptus & menthol)
Badger brush
100 derby blades

Hopefully this stuff will arrive in the next weeks so I can see what all the hubbub is about. The way I see it, the initial ~$70 investment is worth it considering the only thing I have to buy now is blades. Should be set on those for a while unless I want to try out others (sample pack maybe?).

Just remember to stick with it, you'll prob nick yourself a bunch of times but eventually it'll get real easy

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #741 of 949
All about angle and pressure. Don't put any pressure, let the weight of the razor do the cutting. Be mindful of the blade's angle relative to your face, it will be different than the disposables'.

Oh, and relax. Don't hurry, concentrate the task at hand. This is a great benefit of wet shaving, letting your mind concentrate on a simple task provides a nice disconnect from the stresses (whether good or bad) of the day. There have been times I'd shave in the morning and again in the evening.

KP

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #742 of 949
I took the plunge into cold water shaving and what a difference it makes!

I'm currently using:

Merkur 180
Badger brush
Proraso Shaving Cream (tube)
Feather blades

I have only nicked myself once, where as I use to get nicks quite often using hot water. I still have the problem on my neck
where I need to make several passes upon several more passes (lending myself to more potential cuts).
I can never achieve a completely smooth shave no matter how many passes I make.
I shave across the grain, then against the grain (shaving w/grain does nothing for my face).

So I question my technique outright, but I'm wondering if ya'll have any suggestions to improve my shave.

I only shave 2-3 times per week. Should I trial shaving everyday, replacing my Merkur, etc?

I tend to think it's a little normal to still have that grain of leftover hair, but I don't think I've ever had a completely smooth shave
since using cartridges.

Thanks for any suggestions provided and keep the testimonies coming in! This is my fav thread on Head-Fi. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #743 of 949
The neck is the trickiest area at first. You really should not need any more passes there than anywhere else once you get the hang of it. One pass down, one against the grain. Since it is not a straight down pull with gravity, you will have to learn to put just the right amount of pressure.

KP

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #744 of 949
Quote:
The neck is the trickiest area at first. You really should not need any more passes there than anywhere else once you get the hang of it. One pass down, one against the grain. Since it is not a straight down pull with gravity, you will have to learn to put just the right amount of pressure.

KP

Perhaps I should have been more specific. There is a very small area on the neck that I can never seem to get smooth.
The rest of my face is fine. When I do go for it (trying to get that neck portion smooth), I'll often nick myself from too many passes.

I've seen some pretty risky techniques, such as The J-Hook and blade buffing. I could just be agonizing over it, but it does cause frustration.

Feb 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #745 of 949
Quote:
Perhaps I should have been more specific. There is a very small area on the neck that I can never seem to get smooth.
The rest of my face is fine. When I do go for it (trying to get that neck portion smooth), I'll often nick myself from too many passes.

I've seen some pretty risky techniques, such as The J-Hook and blade buffing. I could just be agonizing over it, but it does cause frustration.

Nooo!!!

Try the following...

Apply some corn huskers on your face/beard. Lather.

When you lather, work in the lather into your beard with a brush. Once covered, take your hands and work in the lather even more. Let it sit for 2 minutes. Wash that lather off and re-lather using a brush. Proceed to shave.

The extra time you allow the soap/cream to stay on your beard will allow it to strip it of it's natural oils making it super brittle and VERY easy to mow down with a razor. Also, work on proper technique.

I find that with that specific prep, my shaves have improved dramatically...especially when using my slant.

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #746 of 949
Quote:
Same here.

I only recently tried a feather and found it to be only slightly better than the Sharks.

For my money, I think I'll stick with the Sharks for the foreseeable future.

Hmm, I'll probably be grabbing these next time. I do love the feathers that I've got, but saving half my money for something thats just as good...that seems like a no brainer. But ive still got like 30 feathers left

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #747 of 949
Quote:

Hmm, I'll probably be grabbing these next time. I do love the feathers that I've got, but saving half my money for something thats just as good...that seems like a no brainer. But ive still got like 30 feathers left

If your feathers are still sealed, you can sell them at Badger & Blade.

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #748 of 949
Quote:

The extra time you allow the soap/cream to stay on your beard will allow it to strip it of it's natural oils making it super brittle and VERY easy to mow down with a razor. Also, work on proper technique.

This works well. Let the soap/gel stay for a couple of minutes, it'll make it a lot easier to shave.

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #749 of 949
Quote:

This works well. Let the soap/gel CREAM stay for a couple of minutes, it'll make it a lot easier to shave.

Fixed it for you.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back