Shaving, gents
Apr 17, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #541 of 943
A few more shaving stuff arrived in the last few days.
A lot of the purchases were based on member recommendation.

Pretty sure I am done with blades/soap/cream/etc for the next few months at least. I think I have a good sample of various products and hopefully in the next few months I will be able to find out what I prefer and a little variety doesn't hurt.

My Georgetown Pottery Scuttle also shipped and is estimated for delivery next week, should be neat.

Apr 21, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #542 of 943
my fav shaving gear
BRW Bull Mastiff w Vintage Gillette NEW long comb
Semogue LE2011
MWF
4711 ASL

Apr 21, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #543 of 943
Cheap electric shaver for me, couple times a week.  I should shave every day, but it irritates my skin like crazy.

Apr 22, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #544 of 943

Quote:
Cheap electric shaver for me, couple times a week.  I should shave every day, but it irritates my skin like crazy.

Take some time and give wet shaving a try, particularly with a double-edged razor.  It sounds odd, but it gives a much better shave with a lot less irritation.  At least that's my experience, and I think I've seen several others here say it.

There's a bunch of gear and stuff to buy, too, if you want.  Or not; a simple razor and blades, an inexpensive boar brush, shaving soap or cream (I prefer cream), and a styptic pencil and you're set.

One thing I noticed is that the double-edged blades are far less expensive than the multi-blade disposables, too.

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #545 of 943

Quote:

Take some time and give wet shaving a try, particularly with a double-edged razor.  It sounds odd, but it gives a much better shave with a lot less irritation.  At least that's my experience, and I think I've seen several others here say it.

I really should.  I haven't wet-shaved since I was a teenager.  The electric used to be okay but in recent years my skin just hate it.  One of these days I'll have to try it again.

Apr 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #547 of 943
Whoa, is that a Safety Razor you have there :O very Jealous I am

Sadly I got hairy gene's from both sides of my Family, so if I shave in the morning I got 5'o clock shadow at like 3-4pm xD [and I'm 18 >.>]

but I have a crappy Throw away razor [Gelleate Good News [3blades] which I actually do like, got as a recomendation from my older cuz] I usually shave Dry [I'm always in a hurry] but Barbasol is enjoyable when I have the time

And I'd LOVE to learn how to use a str8 razor or get a Safety Razor so I can get a NICE close shave, plus I'd be able to look forward to my shave so xD I'd finally invest in some face skin care products [although I don't cut my self often, and when I do I have that White Nick Stick]

But AHH a shaving thread :D much respect for the community here!

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #548 of 943

Quote:
my fav shaving gear
BRW Bull Mastiff w Vintage Gillette NEW long comb
Semogue LE2011
MWF
4711 ASL

Nice!

I designed the American Bull Mastiff razor and had Bob make it for me. It's the best shaver I have too!

May 2, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #550 of 943
I ordered some alum, Clubman aftershave, and some Cella shave cream last night from westcoastshaving. Looking forward to my next shave :)

May 2, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #551 of 943
Quote:
Whoa, is that a Safety Razor you have there :O very Jealous I am

Sadly I got hairy gene's from both sides of my Family, so if I shave in the morning I got 5'o clock shadow at like 3-4pm xD [and I'm 18 >.>]

but I have a crappy Throw away razor [Gelleate Good News [3blades] which I actually do like, got as a recomendation from my older cuz] I usually shave Dry [I'm always in a hurry] but Barbasol is enjoyable when I have the time

And I'd LOVE to learn how to use a str8 razor or get a Safety Razor so I can get a NICE close shave, plus I'd be able to look forward to my shave so xD I'd finally invest in some face skin care products [although I don't cut my self often, and when I do I have that White Nick Stick]

But AHH a shaving thread :D much respect for the community here!

Trying shaving in the shower for an easy fix, even without shaving cream, the heat and moisture will open the pores, giving you a closer shave and should irritate you less. I do it all the time. I've gotten pretty good at it as well, so I hardly need to look in a mirror for touch ups anymore.

May 2, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #552 of 943
Quote:
Trying shaving in the shower for an easy fix, even without shaving cream, the heat and moisture will open the pores, giving you a closer shave and should irritate you less. I do it all the time. I've gotten pretty good at it as well, so I hardly need to look in a mirror for touch ups anymore.

Yeah!

I also recommend putting on some hair conditioner and leaving it on during your shower. Right before you lather up, rinse it off, then lather and shave. AWESOME!

May 2, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #553 of 943
For cella, I usually find that I have to load up at least 1.5X as much as the omega soap to get relatively the same amount of lather. I face lather in case you were wondering. For those who are starting DE shaving, would suggest a gillette superspeed with astra blades. Pretty forgiving setup for a bbs.

May 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #554 of 943
wow, I never knew how bad my shaving habits were:

I got the 5-blade gillette in the mail as a promo, and I just stuck with it. Yeah, I found 5 blades to be annoyingly bulky, but the flip side has a single edge for detailing, so that works fine. While the blades are expensive, but I don't buy them too often, and I use each set as much as I can. I eventually upgraded to the electric model, which just includes a water-proof design with a tiny motor, the vibrations reduce friction. If I have time i shave in the shower, but in a rush, I just wet the blades (in a hurry i have skipped that too). While yeah that cuts a bit, it gets the job done so I can get to class.

I recently got a styler too (yes from gillette, again) which has 3 size combs on an electric blade. Think what they use when you get a buzz cut. I like it for trimming the back of my hair too (i have superbly messy hair, but the back gets just way too messy when it grows little rat tail), so I keep that shorter now. I also use the styler to trim my beard, I've adopted some sort of a chin-strap that wraps to the just over edge of my jaw/face.

Now I never clean-shave my face unless I need to present or have interview, I think it looks odd on me, but I feel like I can't look too much like a bum when I'm talking to a Dr. about working on his research over summer.

May 5, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #555 of 943
I have quite a bit of shaving gear, plus various straights and stones.

But if im honest i mainly use my slant or r41 with tobs rose cream, and my new forest tubby 1 brush.

And yes i am on b&b

Users who are viewing this thread

Back