Shaving, gents
Nov 26, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #196 of 943
I like to shave with my pocket knife.

Nov 26, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #198 of 943
Only jiving you, bro. I shave in the shower with my good ol' triple blade safety razor.

big_shave.jpg

I am, however, able to shave the hair off my arms with most of my knives. Most notably being the Strider, Emerson, or Microtech.

Chris
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #199 of 943
Does anyone know a good place to buy a strop in NYC? I really don't feel like having to order a new one online...

Also, any advice on where to get a straight razor reconditioned, again preferable in NYC?
My old strop got dirty during a move and I think it damaged by blade.

Nov 28, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #200 of 943
Man, if there anyplace to score one is in the city. Check the yellow pages under Barber Supplies or Cutlery.

Good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know a good place to buy a strop in NYC? I really don't feel like having to order a new one online...

Also, any advice on where to get a straight razor reconditioned, again preferable in NYC?
My old strop got dirty during a move and I think it damaged by blade.

Nov 28, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #201 of 943
Whoo, my stuff finally got here today! I can't believe how tiny that Merkur is - now I wish I had gone for the long-handled classic. It does look really slick, though, and I'm sure I'll be able to get by with it eventually.

Now, off to chop up my face!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #202 of 943
the warm tabac lather in the morning, my schick krona crossing trough the stubble, the smooth floid on the face when done, its the only way to truly wake up,

whoever was the first head-fi´er to mention badger and blade here, thank you, i do feel better with my shave. and i owe you my healthy face,

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #203 of 943
Well, that wasn't so bad! I was honestly expecting to get a pretty lousy shave and cut myself up a lot on my first try, but instead I got the smoothest shave I've ever had and no nicks to speak of! I even did a bunch of DE no-nos, like going over an area without re-lathering and bearing down on the razor a bit, and got away with them. Mind you, I did pay for those with a lot more irritation than usual. Clearly there is a reason why you're not supposed to do stuff like that.

I have a feeling that I'll be getting a badger brush at some point in the future, though. I was really surprised at how much of an improvement the Vulfix boar brush I got was over the Wilkinson Sword one I picked up a couple of weeks ago when I got impatient, and I imagine that a proper badger brush would be better yet. It really is fun lathering with a brush!

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #204 of 943
Shaving should be fun tonight, using my latest gear...

Simpsons Chubby CH2 Super shaving brush:
chubby2se3.jpg

Schwarzweisskeramik shaving cup, and soap lid/rest:
shavingcuplidrestandbruds7.jpg

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #205 of 943
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

chubby2se3.jpg

Oh! Beautiful! I have asked for a scuttle for Christmas to keep my lather warm. Love the chubby!

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #206 of 943

Nov 28, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #207 of 943
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

chubby2se3.jpg

Oh! Beautiful! I have asked for a scuttle for Christmas to keep my lather warm. Love the chubby!

Nov 28, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #208 of 943
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Hope you get a nice scuttle for Christmas...

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #209 of 943
I sold my scuttle, actually... I find that I prefer to lather directly on my face rather than have to go through the trouble of heating up the scuttle and then lathering in the bowl.

I know, I know, I'm lazy.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back