Sharp highs, super detailed headphone
May 14, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #76 of 82
I don't know if it has been suggested or not (I don't want to read though 5 pages) but Ultrasone HFI-580/780 are supposed to have very strong highs and great bass. You can get them pretty cheap from Northern Lights and Sound and they would be an upgrade from the D1001's (which im listening to now, and I know what you mean about the highs.)

May 14, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #78 of 82
Sony SA5000. I didn't bother reading the 6 pages of this thread, but if "sharp highs, super detailed" is what you want, IMO the best production dynamic out there is the SA5000.

Nothing I've heard has come close to it for microdetail, transient response, and treble extension, barring electrostats.

May 14, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #79 of 82
I've had the 80, 225, and now the 325is, I believe all three sound best through an amp. And to my ears the difference is significant. I had the Total Airhead and it worked great. Now I have the AE-1 and it's terrific. That said, Grados work pretty good straight from both my Gen 5 and Gen 6 iPod. But I still believe they sound best through an amp. Even a portable one.

The 701 on the other hand is a different story. I think they sound terrible straight out of either iPod. I believe they absolutely need to be used with an amp. And even with the Total Airhead they weren't properly amped to me. The Headamp AE-1, however, has made them sing. I'm sure an excellent home amp would be even better, but I'm happy with the sound.

May 14, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #80 of 82
I was going to recommend SR325i for sharp highs and super details but since you don't like Grado, I would say get AD900 (or AD700 if you do not care about the color).

I like the AD900 more than K701 (amped, unamped).

May 14, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #81 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by fghtffyrobesity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get them pretty cheap from Northern Lights and Sound [Northern Sound & Light]

They are unfortunately against doing business with customers residing and doing their banking outside of the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back