Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings
Mar 9, 2011 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BluFalcon

500+ Head-Fier
Fans of R&B from the 60s era rejoice.  Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings are keeping it alive.  Retro sounds.  Fresh material.  Very nice. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 10
I think she wrote some songs for Amy Winehouse

Aug 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 10
I have all of her albums and would highly recommend them.

One of my favorite songs is this one:

Great sound, great music and lots of soul. I just wish her albums had a bit more of dynamic range.

Charles Bradley is also fantastic. Lot's of soul!

Another artist I love is Mayer Hawthorne:

and let's not forget Raphael Saadiq:

Fantastic new music and artists with a retro touch.

Aug 28, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 10
Some small snippets of songs from the Daptone Gold album, I particularly found the biography interesting.  So glad I heard about this record label.
happy_face1.gif

http://www.promotionscrew.us/daptone/ecard/

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 10
the other day I was clicking between TV channels and there was a lame TV show about cops yada yada, and at some point they played a cover of "there was a time" from JB w/ the phat Dap sound, and most likely Sharon Jones voice...I was blown away!
eek.gif

But if that's really her, I dunno where they got it from...coz I found copies of her singing this killer hit, but only lame live recordings and what they played on TV that day very much sounded like a clean studio version =/

I know the name of the TV show, I should be able to find out the name of the episode...but I dunno where to get the soundtrack details.

I have all of her albums and would highly recommend them. [..]

Great sound, great music and lots of soul. I just wish her albums had a bit more of dynamic range.

The manager of Lee Fields told me to buy the vinyl when I whined about the clipping of his last CD, he said the mastering was different
mad.gif

The brickwall sound of most Dap stuff is unbearable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back