Sharing home computers with others - how to maintain privacy & security?
Jan 6, 2010 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Turnaround

100+ Head-Fier
Some relatives will be staying with me for a while. They will need to use my home computers (PCs) during their stay.

Being a good host and relative, I can't say no -- if I were visiting their home, I'd want to be able to check my e-mail (and keep up with head-fi!) on their computers too.

Any suggestions how how to maintain my privacy and security on my computers? Those of you with roommates/housemates may have some insight.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 8
Create a guest user with restricted access maybe? I have done that several times myself, and it seems to do the trick.
They have no access your your files, unless you specify differently, but they can set up their own email, web browser, ...

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Create a guest user with restricted access maybe? I have done that several times myself, and it seems to do the trick.
They have no access your your files, unless you specify differently, but they can set up their own email, web browser, ...

x2. That would work fine for giving them access. Also password protect your account if it's not already. So that way they can freely access a guest account and not get into yours.

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 8
If you don't want them anywhere near your stuff, pick up a cheap used computer from the classifieds. You could probably sell it for near the same amount afterwards.

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 8
It depends on what you are wanting to hide. If it is just not wanting them into your documents then just make a guest account with limited access.

If you want certain files or folders protected, download TrueCrypt and put them in the encrypted folder until they leave and get them back out.

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 8
I've used Linux to deal with this a few times. It's simple to set up guest accounts with strong privileges on a *nix machine.

Even if you're runing Windows, you could use a live disc with Ubuntu on it. They could run the browser, etc. under Ubuntu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back