Shaping metal
Aug 23, 2012 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mad Max

Headphoneus Supremus
I want to reshape the metal headband rods (might be stainless steel) of my A2000X, but bending them isn't all that effective.  They'll take on the new shape that I give them, but if they get bent outwards a bit, like when putting the headphones on, they don't quite go back to the new shape that I gave them very well nor do they return to their original shape prior to bending either.  Any blacksmiths or metalworkers around here?  Might high heat help?

Thanks for reading.

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 7
Metal, in general, gains hardness and springiness as a result of heat treatment (usually heating followed by quenching or quick cooling) or work hardening (being beaten or wrought). It can be softened by heating and slow cooling (annealing). These techniques require accurate control of temperature and sometimes require temperatures not readily achievable at home.

To reshape steel it might be necessary to anneal it, reshape it, re-heat it and quench it. It usually leaves the item discoloured and it requires re-polishing. All-in-all this is not really practicable to undertake as a one-off DIY exercise.

It might be possible to get the result you want by overbending them with the application of a lot of force and allowing them to spring back.

Perhaps you could take off the ear cups (I'm not familiar with the design) and put in a spacer before replacing them. Otherwise I think you are pretty much stuck with them as they are. You may be forced to sell them and buy others if you can't live with the fit.

w

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 7
Because it is metal you can either heat it till it is glowing orange or bend ~ 15 degree pass the point you want it settle at normally.

The only way to learn is from trial and error.

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 7
That's what I've been reading.  Bending is the best thing to do with what I have.

Gotta bend the rods for a more snug fit or part of the subbass goes AWOL.  I think I got it now recently, however.  The metal is painted over, so discolorations are not visible in the least even under bright light.  I do take the headband apart for this as the amount of bending necessary is impossible without disassembly.

Thanks for the replies.

Aug 25, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Because it is metal you can either heat it till it is glowing orange or bend ~ 15 degree pass the point you want it settle at normally.

The only way to learn is from trial and error.

Yeah, the problem with the simple heating, bending and allowing to cool approach is that it may result in taking the spring out of the metal, so that it will just relax back when you pull the earcups apart to put the phones on.

Trial and error is not the only way to learn. You could try taking some classes and reading a few books on the heat treatment of metals, like I did.

w

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 7
I tried something similar few weeks ago when I was building headband for my DIY electrostatic headphones. I found that heating this type of steel (=steel without yield piont) is the stupidest thing to do, because the steel wire loose it's properties when heated. I tried wire from AKG headband, strip from Philips headband and some patented wires and all were the same - once heated they lost its elasticity (almost completely).

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Yeah, the problem with the simple heating, bending and allowing to cool approach is that it may result in taking the spring out of the metal, so that it will just relax back when you pull the earcups apart to put the phones on.

Trial and error is not the only way to learn. You could try taking some classes and reading a few books on the heat treatment of metals, like I did.

w

I understand that it trial and error isn't the best way to learn but even with a good concept of how to keep the steel's springiness it is much trial and error because the process may differ based on the composition of the steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back