Shanling UP5 - Our new flagship portable Bluetooth DAC/AMP
Jul 9, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #121 of 975
> That said, I do like how the BTR5 has input priority in their app preferences. With the BTR5 if you're listening using Bluetooth
> and switch to USB, the BTR5 switches automatically.
I never noticed that feature, but it's brilliant! It solves the most annoying problem when I connect to both the phone and a laptop.

Shanling: Is there any chance your developers can/will implement a similar feature?

Jul 9, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #122 of 975
As there's been some discussion relating to the size of portable Bluetooth Headphone Amplifiers, felt a comparison might be helpful. Samsung S20+ and the Shanling UP5.

Samsung_S20+_Shanling_UP5.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #123 of 975
Update

Having spent a fair bit more time with both the UP5 and the BTR5, there are a few more considered observations. To note, both units have been listened to with Fiio FH7's connected via a balanced 2.5 cable. To start with, I have found the LDAC connection to be sufficiently stable on the UP5 without any notable dropouts, at least with my S20+. Battery life on the UP5 has been sufficient and without issue, but admittedly, I recharge it daily. As such, I don't have any hard data on if the stated battery life is accurate or better than the BTR5.

As for sound quality, as of now, I'd definitely say that while using Bluetooth (LDAC), the UP5 is capable of pulling out a bit more detail from music compared to the BTR5, particularly in the low end. Also, there appears to be slightly more weight to the sub-bass in the UP5 as well. To be clear, this increase in finer details (the plucking of double bass strings, see track below) was noted while using Bluetooth (LDAC) on both devices. That said, when connecting both the UP5 and the BTR5 via their USB-C connectors, any differences in sound quality between the two units became notably harder to distinguish. This makes sense to me as it is readily known that the sound qualities of the Fiio BTR5 definitely get a boost with a wired connection.

Overall, at week 2, I definitely feel that when using these two devices in the mode they were initially intended, via Bluetooth, the UP5 is currently coming out on top for me. As the sound quality of the UP5 is seemingly consistent no matter how you use the device, wired or wireless, single-ended or balanced, I think this gives it an edge over the BTR5. That said, the BTR5 remains an absolutely exceptional device. In fact, right now, the BTR5 presents a more polished product due to the length of time it's been in the marketplace. However, once Shanling releases its inevitable firmware (and app) updates, I feel this gap will quickly slam shut.

Indeed, the UP5 continues to impress. There are obviously still some features to enable (MQA), bugs to squash and app options to develop (Bluetooth or wired connection priority), but for now, well-done Shanling. Your move Fiio.

Comparison Track:
Roy Hargrove - Strasbourg / St. Denis (Track 3, Earfood 2008) [Jazz]

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #124 of 975
As there's been some discussion relating to the size of portable Bluetooth Headphone Amplifiers, felt a comparison might be helpful. Samsung S20+ and the Shanling UP5.
Is that a launcher or always on display?

Week 2 Update: Have been spending a fair bit more time with both the UP5 and the BTR5 and have a few more observations. To note, both units have been listened to with Fiio FH7's connected via a balanced 2.5 cable. So, as of now, I'd definitely say that while using Bluetooth (LDAC), the UP5 is capable of pulling out a bit more detail from music compared to the BTR5, particularly in the low end. Also, there appears to be slightly more weight to the sub-bass in the UP5 as well.

To be clear, this increase in finer details (the plucking of double bass strings, for example) was noted while using Bluetooth (LDAC) on both devices. That said, when connecting both the UP5 and the BTR5 via their USB-C connectors, any differences in sound quality between the two units became notably harder to distinguish. This makes sense to me as it is readily known that the sound qualities of the Fiio BTR5 definitely get a boost with a wired connection.

Overall, at week 2, I definitely feel that when using these two devices in the manner they were initially intended, via Bluetooth, the UP5 is currently coming out on top for me. Its sound quality is seemingly consistent no matter how you use the device, wired or wireless. This is quite an achievement. I also find the LDAC connection to be sufficiently stable on the UP5, at least with my S20+. Battery life has not been an issue on the UP5, but admittedly, I recharge it and the BTR5 almost daily so I don't have any hard data on if the stated battery life of the UP5 is accurate or better than the BTR5.

The UP5 continues to impress and, when wireless, surpasses the BTR5 on sound quality alone. There are obviously still some features to enable (MQA), bugs to squash and app options to develop (Bluetooth or wired connection priority), but for now, well-done Shanling. Your move Fiio.
Thanks for the impressions. More details in the low end, is it because it has tighter attack and decay in low frequencies?

In any case, I think the comparison with BTR5 is no longer a question in my book. Now I want to see UP5 vs the 5K....

}:)

Jul 11, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #125 of 975
Is that a launcher or always on display?

Nova Launcher :) I am hopelessly a minimalist and insist on not having anything on my phone but the absolute essentials. With a swipe left or right, those white home screen icons dissolve into 5 other essential apps. All other apps are disabled on the phone. That said, a few icons can be swiped up for alternative apps. For example, the Poweramp icon swiped up launches Spotify.

More details in the low end, is it because it has tighter attack and decay in low frequencies?

That definitely might be the case, but it could also just be that the UP5 is 'tuned' to be a bit more bright sounding? I, for one, don't feel qualified to make any definitive statements regarding the technical specifics of sound quality differences I hear.

Now I want to see UP5 vs the 5K....

Assuming you are referring to a potential successor to the BTR5 that Fiio will inevitably release, I couldn't agree more. Overall, the competition between these 2 companies is absolutely fantastic to watch, and more importantly, listen to!

Jul 11, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #126 of 975
Assuming you are referring to a potential successor to the BTR5 that Fiio will inevitably release, I couldn't agree more. Overall, the competition between these 2 companies is absolutely fantastic to watch, and more importantly, listen to!
I think it's the qudelix 5k,
It would be interesting, UP5 vs Qudelix 5k,

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #127 of 975
It would be interesting, UP5 vs Qudelix 5k

Had a bit of a read up on the Qudelix 5k, the comparison with the UP5 would indeed be interesting. That said, attempting to label any device as 'the best' (especially regarding sound quality) is always going to be nothing more than a subjective opinion.

When considering all the main (and minor) players in the portable Bluetooth headphone amplifier game right now, each has the ability to provide a thoroughly enjoyable listening experience. Of course, each listener will always have an individual preference based on what they perceive.

Again, the current competition in the marketplace between device manufacturers is fantastic and provides us, listeners (consumers), with an abundance of quality choices. Indeed, it's a great time to be an audio enthusiast :)

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #128 of 975
> That said, I do like how the BTR5 has input priority in their app preferences. With the BTR5 if you're listening using Bluetooth
> and switch to USB, the BTR5 switches automatically.
I never noticed that feature, but it's brilliant! It solves the most annoying problem when I connect to both the phone and a laptop.

Shanling: Is there any chance your developers can/will implement a similar feature?

Will try to ask for this. But we were dealing with the same situation on our previous Bluetooth devices and so far there was no adjustment.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 12, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #130 of 975
Just got my up5. Was able to update to v1.5.6 but cant install the audiodfu driver for xmos update. When I click the shanling audiodfu.exe it says missing dll file. Can anybody help me with it.
Maybe try to download it again and unzip it? All files are included.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 13, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #131 of 975
Just got my up5. Was able to update to v1.5.6 but cant install the audiodfu driver for xmos update. When I click the shanling audiodfu.exe it says missing dll file. Can anybody help me with it.
maybe your anti virus removes the file

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #133 of 975
Hello everyone.
UP5 supports LHDC codec, but which version? there are 3 versions of them, LHDC V1/V2/V3.
eg. Shanling MW200 only supports LHDC V2. At whom Xiaomi check please.

Hello,
there is no documentation of it,
it shouldn't be a problem,

Jul 26, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #135 of 975
Have stumbled onto a 1.5.6 firmware bug. Upon plugging in a usb-c cable and then turning off Bluetooth on my phone, the screen text reversed and turned upside-down?! Turning the unit off and on didn't resolve this bug. That said, after I powered the unit off and let it sit for 5 minutes, upon powering it back on, the screen returned to normal. This bug hasn't occurred since. Also, the reversed and upside-down screen didn't affect the device functionality or sound.

Attachments

• 20210724_092445.jpg
    20210724_092445.jpg
    978.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210724_092515.jpg
    20210724_092515.jpg
    982.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210724_092723.jpg
    20210724_092723.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread