Shanling UP5 - Our new flagship portable Bluetooth DAC/AMP
Jul 4, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #91 of 975
FfOjtzo.jpg

Shanling UP5 First Impressions, Audio Quality, and Comparison with the Fiio BTR5.

Preferences, Files & Gear:
I am not a DSD or MQA listener. Audio files on my Samsung S20+ are lossless ALAC and played through Poweramp. Most are 16bit, although some are 24bit. I can discern no difference between them. Headphones (IEMs) used with portable Bluetooth Amplifiers are the Fiio FH7 and FD5, connected via 2.5mm balanced input exclusively. I also own and use a Topping DX3 Pro with Huh Duh Six Hunge-Os. My non-headphone setup is a Gato DIA-250S paired with DALI EPICON 2 speakers connected via Tellurium Q silver cables.

Shanling UP5 Firmware: 1.5.6 (shipped version 1.5.5)
Fiio BTR5 Firmware: 2.1 (identical to 2.0)

Iht7BR9.jpg

Impressions: Really like the slightly larger size compared to the Fiio BTR5. We are moving in the right direction here. That said, I would encourage both Fiio and Shanling to consider an even slightly larger size still, purely for increased battery capacity.

While the provided leather case for the UP5 is appreciated and seemingly high-quality, I don't like that the belt loop strap on the back is permanently attached. My unit will always be in a pocket and as such, the loop (especially not being flush) is annoying. I prefer the pleather BTR5 case Fiio sells.

The play/pause button on the left side of the UP5 has the intended tactile click when pressed. Indeed, this button does not stick out far, but I find that design choice a smart one as it won't lead to the accidentally pausing of music.

The addition of the balanced 4.4 input is nice to have and see on the UP5. I am using this input with the Fiio FD5 as they come with interchangeable audio plugs.

Overall, I like the UP5's usability. The screen, menus, and wheel interface are all well thought out, designed, and executed. That said, I have no real preference here between the BTR5 and the UP5 in terms of tactile functionality. Both are great, easy to use and operate. Then again, I tend to be a 'set it and forget it' user of these 2 devices. I don't ever fiddle with volume or settings on the device itself once set up. I use my phone exclusively once the UP5 or BTR5 is powered up and connected.

Upgrading the firmware on the UP5 to 1.5.6 took multiple attempts as the first 3 times failed. Followed the steps in the .pdf exactly. Can't say why it worked on the third attempt, but all is fine.

No issues here with battery charging. The screen indicates so, and it is indeed charging...and now complete!

The Bluetooth connectivity and range also is excellent on the UP5 and on par with the BTR5 from my testing.

As the unit is brand new, I haven't yet tested and compared battery life and will likely edit this post in the coming weeks to reflect that information. The battery life on the BTR5 is more than sufficient, but if the UP5 is greater in this area, I would find that rather favourable.

ciJZSCb.jpg

Sound: To note, I only own the BTR5 so I can't compare the UP5 to Shanling's prior generation UP4. Also, a disclaimer. When writing about nuanced sound qualities in personal audio equipment, I'm mindful that we are dealing with subjective opinions. Hence, I try to avoid making strong, definitive statements unless the impression heard is overtly obvious. As an ardent reader of audio reviews and purchaser of suitable gear, I value quality writing and simple honesty the average reader or enthusiast can relate to. Thus, it should be stated that my aim is to actually listen to, and get lost in the music, rather than to obsessively focus entirely on the electronics playing it. To be clear, I am rather discerning about audio quality (I wouldn't be posting this if I wasn't) but not to the point of a clinical diagnosis. Most important though, is the fact that everyone hears and enjoys music rather differently. I like balanced sound. I am not a bass-head, nor am I overly treble sensitive. I increasingly find that detail retrieval and transparency across the entire frequency range is valued immensely. That said, I don't like anything too analytical. I enjoy the gear I own and use because it is both engaging and most importantly, entertaining.

To begin with, the UP5 and BTR5 were both initially listened to in Bluetooth mode using the LDAC codec, and as stated above, connected via balanced 2.5mm input exclusively. The albums sampled are listed below, along with their identifying genres. When immediately contrasted against the sound of the Fiio BTR5, the Shanling UP5 sounded, perhaps, a touch brighter. This was indeed noticeable on first listen, but not massively so. Like the BTR5, the UP5 sounds incredibly open, dynamic, and gorgeously detailed across the entire frequency range. Its background too is supremely inky black quiet bliss. I was immediately thrilled and pleased with what I was hearing from a fresh out of the box experience.

It's probably safe to assume at this stage that once more UP5 owners start to receive their units, the common sentiment is likely to be that the Shanling has a slightly different sound signature when compared to the Fiio BTR5. That said, after a few hours of using both units back and forth, I didn't hear a significant, discernable difference between them. Both units sound fundamentally exceptional and any audible differences are likely to be considered minor for all but the most discerning or pedantic of listeners. Overall, and through Bluetooth, I feel and hear the UP5 to be absolutely on par with the BTR5, which is great considering Fiio's achievements with their unit.

When switching to the USB input, like the BTR5, the Shanling UP5 sound gets a nice little boost in power and sonic depth or heft. Using the provided cable, my Samsung S20+ connects to both the UP5 and the BTR5 flawlessly. That said, I do like how the BTR5 has input priority in their app preferences. With the BTR5 if you're listening using Bluetooth and switch to USB, the BTR5 switches automatically. The Shagling UP5 lacks this particular functionality in their app at this time, and you have to disconnect the Bluetooth manually on your phone after connecting to USB to use that audio input. This definitely is not a deal-breaker by any means, but duly noted nonetheless.

Overall, when using either the UP5 or the BTR5 in USB mode, there does appear to be a subtle but noticeable increase in audio performance and quality. Here again, there doesn't readily appear to be a massive difference between either the UP5 or the BTR5 in this regard. In USB mode, the Shanling UP5 also has sufficient power to run the 300ohm HD600's to a reasonable listening level, just as the BTR5 does. However, as both units were purchased exclusively for their exceptional Bluetooth functionality, regardless of the headphones used, USB tethering isn't something that will see much usage here.

After about 6 hours now, I don't find that I am strongly preferring either the UP5 or the BTR5 over the other. This may change in the future as I spend further time with each. Both are brilliantly musical, effortless in their reproduction capabilities, and provide an abundance of enjoyable listening. For the time being, the Shanling UP5 paired with the Fiio FD5 will be used for at-home listening, and the Fiio BTR5 and their FH7s will be my dedicated on-the-go rig.

Conclusion: The UP5 Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier is a fantastic release from Shanling and can stand right next to the Fiio BTR5 with absolute confidence. The design, fit and finish are high quality and the user experience is just as polished. No doubt future firmware updates will sort out what bugs and operational features remain.

Buying advice: Aside from MQA listening or a determined need for a balanced 4.4 input, choosing either the Fiio BTR5 or Shanling's new UP5 will provide you with a high fidelity mobile listening experience that likely won't be surpassed for quite a long while. Again, neither device feels like a significant sonic upgrade over the other, with the exception of the aforementioned 4.4 input and MQA support. Apart from those specific features, both units sound equally exceptional to one another.

Updated Impressions: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shanling-up5-our-new-flagship-portable-bluetooth-dac-amp.958177/post-16450068

Music listened to (Spotify links):
Alvin Queen Trio - Night Train to Copenhagen (2021) [Hard Bop era Jazz]
Mr Bungle - The Raging Wrath of the Easter Bunny Demo (2020) [Heavy Rock/Metal]
Hiatus Kaiyote - Mood Valiant (2021) [R&B/Neo Soul]
Grigory Sokolov, Trevor Pinnock, Mahler Chamber Orchestra - Mozart & Rachmaninov Concertos (2017) [Classical]
The Roots - Do You Want More (1995/2021 Deluxe Release) [Classic Hip Hop]
Clap! Clap! - A Thousand Skies (2017) [African influenced Electronic]

rnl4xiO.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #92 of 975
*deleted, wrong thread, sorry

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #94 of 975
Most noticable different between my BTR5 and a portable dac is the bass slam,
can you please try it with this song, does the UP5 offer a harder bass slam,
thank you,

As stated in my earlier post, I find the UP5 and the BTR5 to be, essentially, on par with one another. Unfortunately, telling someone else that something has 'harder bass slam' isn't really helpful as that opinion would be entirely subjective. To that point, you might listen to both units as I have and disagree rather strongly with what I think. Hence, why I stay away from definitive statements about specific sonic qualities of personal audio equipment. I know this doesn't answer your question in the way you wanted, but as more users get ahold of the UP5, I'm sure one of them will be more than happy to tell you exactly what you want to hear :)

Jul 4, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #95 of 975
One minor complaint - the color and contrast of instruction section in the Shanling Control app is horrible (*good thing the actual setting section are fine).
Thanks for report.

Yes on my 4th charger now, different cables including shanling provided one and through PC. This is the first time trying to charge it as I only received it yesterday 😞
Definitely reach out to your Chinese seller for warranty repair/replacement.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 4, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #96 of 975
As stated in my earlier post, I find the UP5 and the BTR5 to be, essentially, on par with one another. Unfortunately, telling someone else that something has 'harder bass slam' isn't really helpful as that opinion would be entirely subjective. To that point, you might listen to both units as I have and disagree rather strongly with what I think. Hence, why I stay away from definitive statements about specific sonic qualities of personal audio equipment. I know this doesn't answer your question in the way you wanted, but as more users get ahold of the UP5, I'm sure one of them will be more than happy to tell you exactly what you want to hear :)
ok

Jul 6, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #97 of 975
Jul 7, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #98 of 975
Jul 7, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #99 of 975
Very large size?! Huh. How do you figure? It's, at best, only marginally larger than the BTR5. While it is technically larger, the adjective 'very' doesn't seem accurate, at all. That said, to each their own. I, for one, find the size absolutely perfect with the BTR5 and the UP5.

If you read my impression on BTR5, I have already called it "...too big and heavy for an BT adapter....probably pushing the limit of what is considered portable". Given UPO5 is actually bigger than BTR5 and about 15% heavier (*yes, I weighed them both), I think calling it very large is, at least to me, very justifiable.

Jul 7, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #100 of 975
If you read my impression on BTR5, I have already called it "...too big and heavy for an BT adapter....probably pushing the limit of what is considered portable". Given UPO5 is actually bigger than BTR5 and about 15% heavier (*yes, I weighed them both), I think calling it very large is, at least to me, very justifiable.
When I first purchased the BTR5 (my first bluetooth DAC) I thought it was the perfect size/weight too. An year or two later got myself an XB10 which is smaller, lighter and easy to carry, that changed my mind.

I'm curious, between the UP4, UP5 & 5k which would be your pick? I like the XB10 but it's volume steps are unusable and battery could be better. SQ is not an issue, I have other transportable devices for serious listening.

Jul 7, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #101 of 975
@Shanling any idea when the MQA feature will be implemented ? I bought UP5 for this function

Jul 7, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #102 of 975
I definitely did read, "though it [the BTR5] is probably pushing the limit of what is considered portable among many BT adapter users."

That statement certainly does begs the question of what "many BT adapter users" actually think. "Probably" is purely speculative in nature.

I for one think there is nothing large about the BTR5 or the UP5. In fact, referencing the fantastic photo presented at the top of the post with all of the various BT units very neatly lined up, I find them all to be effectively the same size and absolutely all of them, portable. The thought that someone might find any device in that photo to be even remotely - not - portable is, certainly interesting. When factoring in what those devices are technically capable of, along with the size and weight of the average smartphone most of us carry around every day, any discussion of size and weight of an inconsequentially small BT headphone amp - to me at least - seems rather odd. Then again, to each their own. My BT devices are never connected to a laptop and are exclusively in a pocket all day where they are essentially both weightless and invisible.

Jul 7, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #103 of 975
I'm curious, between the UP4, UP5 & 5k which would be your pick? I like the XB10 but it's volume steps are unusable and battery could be better. SQ is not an issue, I have other transportable devices for serious listening.

Though I do try to rotate between the few BT adapters I have, it is actually a matter of fact that I used 5K the most these days because of its size, in combination of its excellent SQ and app support for a minimalistic yet highly capable setup on-the-go.

Jul 7, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #104 of 975
Just received mine...sadly balanced 2.5 and 4.4 don't work. I only hear very very low volume in only one ear...😭😭😭 I tried with 2 different cables and 2 different headphones, same results...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back