Shanling UP4 & UP2 - Bluetooth 5.0 DAC/AMP with ES9218P, balanced output, supporting LDAC, HWA LHDC, aptX HD, aptX Low Latency, aptX and AAC.
Nov 2, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #451 of 1,460
New firmware update for Shanling UP2

Download Google Drive

Notes:

1. Fixed problem causing voice calls to be directed only to left channel.

2. Adjusted LED indicator’s colour for AAC codec. Shifting its tone more to turquoise, making it easier distinguishable from rich blue colour of SBC.
Any news of the Android Application and do you intend or are in the process of launching a new case of better quality? The truth is that I am looking forward to a leather case like the Shaling M0 for Up2

Nov 3, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #452 of 1,460
So sorry to see this. On UP2, screen is connected same way as it's on our players and they proved to be very durable in long term.

Definitely contact your original seller for repair/replacement.
I did contact the seller, but it doesn't look good. After I explained the issue and showed the pictures, he replied:
upload_2019-11-3_15-16-13.png

...Might not be your case, but high ambient temperature (such as inside a hot car) can weaken the double-sided tape used in many of these kind glass and cause it to fall off.
Never left it inside a hot car

Hi, I'm sorry it happened to you. I have mine 4 months ago and it is perfect.
It may be that leaving it against the sun for a long time or sitting on top of it, has caused that or simply a bad assembly, which can happen in any product at all times. Even on iPhones it happens. No batch of manufacturing is 100% perfect on any product.
Ask for a new one, this product is simply fantastic.
Didn't leave it in the sun, nor sat on top of it :jecklinsmile:

What's bothering me is that out of 4 expensive Bluetooth adapters I had in the last 15 months, 3 are dead - 2 Earstudio ES100 and now Shanling UP2.
Only FIIO BTR3 is still going strong after more than a year of use. It also has experienced much tougher use than UP2 - went through 7 flights, including 4 trans-Atlantic ones, and was used in temperatures from -20 to +30 (Celsius).
Too bad BTR3 doesn't sound as good as ES100 or UP2, otherwise I'd stick with it.

P.S. To Radsone's credit, they did replace both failed units immediately - but I just don't want to risk it again after 2 failures.

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-3_15-15-54.png
    upload_2019-11-3_15-15-54.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #453 of 1,460
What's bothering me is that out of 4 expensive Bluetooth adapters I had in the last 15 months, 3 are dead - 2 Earstudio ES100 and now Shanling UP2.
Only FIIO BTR3 is still going strong after more than a year of use. It also has experienced much tougher use than UP2 - went through 7 flights, including 4 trans-Atlantic ones, and was used in temperatures from -20 to +30 (Celsius).
Too bad BTR3 doesn't sound as good as ES100 or UP2, otherwise I'd stick with it.
Its truly a shame what you've experience and sounds to me like you've either got a destructive ghost in your home or just a string of really bad luck. I've also got a. Btr3 and an UP2 and I've got an M5s. The UP2 sounds much better than the FiiO. And both the UP2 and M5s have been from Canada to Africa and Europe multiple times and back again with absolutely no issues with the build quality. I did have one issue with my BTR3 and when the seller wouldn't support, FiiO stepped in and took care of it. I'd suggest @Shanling should offer to do the same. It's a great device, why you've had so many issues is a mystery.

Nov 3, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #454 of 1,460
I did contact the seller, but it doesn't look good. After I explained the issue and showed the pictures, he replied:

Never left it inside a hot car

Didn't leave it in the sun, nor sat on top of it :jecklinsmile:

P.S. To Radsone's credit, they did replace both failed units immediately - but I just don't want to risk it again after 2 failures.
Then you have the problem at home or elsewhere, it is no coincidence that you have broken 3 dac / amp bluetooh

Nov 3, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #455 of 1,460
Its truly a shame what you've experience and sounds to me like you've either got a destructive ghost in your home or just a string of really bad luck.
No ghosts - I even checked under the bed :jecklinsmile:

Its truly a shame what you've experience and sounds to me like you've either got a destructive ghost in your home or just a string of really bad luck. I've also got a. Btr3 and an UP2 and I've got an M5s. The UP2 sounds much better than the FiiO. And both the UP2 and M5s have been from Canada to Africa and Europe multiple times and back again with absolutely no issues with the build quality. I did have one issue with my BTR3 and when the seller wouldn't support, FiiO stepped in and took care of it. I'd suggest @Shanling should offer to do the same. It's a great device, why you've had so many issues is a mystery.
No argument here UP2 definitely sounds better than BTR3.
Otherwise I wouldn't mind going back to BTR3.

Then you have the problem at home or elsewhere...
In the 7 months period that took for both ES100s to break, I was traveling about 60-70% of the time. I thought that maybe the air travel caused the failures - due to changes in air pressure and humidity.
Both ES100s experienced electric failures, BTR3 is the only one to have a physical failure - despite being used only on a drive to/from work and short walks.

...it is no coincidence that you have broken 3 dac / amp bluetooh
FIIO BTR3 is alive and well after 14 months, Sony SBH52 is still going strong after 4-5 years, a couple of Avantree adapters have been in use for 2-3 years, XDUOO XQ-23 is working for 1.5 years.
Not to mention couple dozen wired Amp/DACs - all functioning.
It's not the environment or myself.

Nov 3, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #456 of 1,460
Any news of the Android Application and do you intend or are in the process of launching a new case of better quality? The truth is that I am looking forward to a leather case like the Shaling M0 for Up2

I have no updates on the app, only know there were some more meetings between our engineers and app developer. Still waiting for Alpha version for test.
Currently no plans for additional case for UP/4.

Please send me in PM details about this seller and your communication.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 8, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #457 of 1,460
Hello, I have some questions about the Shanling UP2 and will be glad for answer.

1. DAC – USB. I’m thinking to use UP2 as a backup audio interface for DJ-ing. How UP2 works with line level signal inputs, such as mixers and amplifiers?

– can it overdrive easly the input, if I will be playing at full volume?

– any other distortions of the tonal balance?

– can the sound quality – for this purpose – be compared to e.g. Focusrite Scarlett?

– what about the stability? The concerts are live, so it has to be stable.

2. What is the better for battery? Keeping the device plugged to power outlet, when it’s possible or to work on battery and charging when the battery is discharged?

3. If I have Macbook, it means, that I won’t have acces to updates of firmare? I have two old laptops with Widnows, but they couldn’t recognize the UP2 (uknown device) under the Windows Vista and Windows 7. How can I update firmware?

4. My Macbook (macOS Mojave 10.14.4) don’t recognize the UP2 when it is connected via USB. How can I use it for DAC – USB?

Nov 8, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #459 of 1,460
Hello, I have some questions about the Shanling UP2 and will be glad for answer.

1. DAC – USB. I’m thinking to use UP2 as a backup audio interface for DJ-ing. How UP2 works with line level signal inputs, such as mixers and amplifiers?

An USB DAC is not the same thing as an USB audio interface. An USB audio interface has both DAC as well as ADC, the later isn't on a USB DAC. The UP2 is certainly not an audio interface.

How does UP2 compare against BTR5? Lookts like they both got the same ES9218Px2 and CSR8675?

Do you mean UP4 instead? It isn't released yet.

Nov 9, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #460 of 1,460
An USB DAC is not the same thing as an USB audio interface. An USB audio interface has both DAC as well as ADC, the later isn't on a USB DAC. The UP2 is certainly not an audio interface.
Dear ClieOS, let me express myself more precisely. I would like to use output of UP2 as a backup sound card. I don’t need ADC for my work, just 2-channel DAC.
I would be grateful for the answer to my questions.

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:32 AM Post #461 of 1,460
Dear ClieOS, let me express myself more precisely. I would like to use output of UP2 as a backup sound card. I don’t need ADC for my work, just 2-channel DAC.
I would be grateful for the answer to my questions.
In that case, yes you can. I have an audio interface and 2 DACs connected to my PC and I have a couple of use cases for that set up. I have the Interface set as default playback and default recording device but if I want to switch to one of the DACs (like the UP2) I can easily do so by just clicking the icon and selecting the device I want to use. At the same time I use JRiver for audio playback of my music library and a few online radio station and there in the playback setting I choose a different DAC for exclusive use and this way none of the windows sounds mix in with my music and I can still use both simultaneously. I do have the UP2 and it is one of the DACs I use in parallel. I actually have 4.DACs connected and use 2 at a time fairly regularly. Hope that answers your Q

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #462 of 1,460
In that case, yes you can. I have an audio interface and 2 DACs connected to my PC and I have a couple of use cases for that set up. I have the Interface set as default playback and default recording device but if I want to switch to one of the DACs (like the UP2) I can easily do so by just clicking the icon and selecting the device I want to use. At the same time I use JRiver for audio playback of my music library and a few online radio station and there in the playback setting I choose a different DAC for exclusive use and this way none of the windows sounds mix in with my music and I can still use both simultaneously. I do have the UP2 and it is one of the DACs I use in parallel. I actually have 4.DACs connected and use 2 at a time fairly regularly. Hope that answers your Q

Dear Holsen, thank you for Your reply, but that wasn't answer for my questions regarding to point no. 1 of my post:
– can it overdrive easly the input, if I will be playing at full volume?
– any other distortions of the tonal balance?
– can the sound quality – for this purpose – be compared to e.g. Focusrite Scarlett?
– what about the stability? The concerts are live, so it has to be stable.

I am asking, because UP2 is intentionally designed as a headphone amplifier, not line level output source. And it it’s main job is to work with bluetooth. However I would like to know, if I can rely on it, if I will use it in case of failure of my main interface. So I need to know, how it works with line level inputs, if the sound quality is comparable to interfaces like Scarlett and if it stable in live use.
And I would be grateful for the answer to my other questions. Thank you in advance.

Nov 9, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #463 of 1,460
1. It works fine as a line level output. It is stable, I can use it for hours without interruption.
2. Yes when using it as a line level output turn the volume to 100‰ no problem
3. No Distortion as Line out device
4. It sounds better than the Scarlett, Steinburg, UMC 204HD and others. It's a dedicated music player with a DAC circuitry for playback.
4. Yes, it's a phenomenol BT Receiver with headphone Amp but in USB DAC mode BT is not active is strictly an output device
5. Yes it's stable update the firmware when you get it. PC instantly recognizes it.

For $70 why don't you just get one and see for yourself. I vouch for it. A tually have 2 of them. 1 is permanently wired into my car audio system. And it sounds phenomenol as a line input (car has 500 W 17 speaker lexicon system)

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #464 of 1,460
Is the UP 4 USB limited to 16/48 (like the UP 2)?

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #465 of 1,460
1. It works fine as a line level output. It is stable, I can use it for hours without interruption.

2. Yes when using it as a line level output turn the volume to 100‰ no problem

3. No Distortion as Line out device

4. It sounds better than the Scarlett, Steinburg, UMC 204HD and others. It's a dedicated music player with a DAC circuitry for playback.

4. Yes, it's a phenomenol BT Receiver with headphone Amp but in USB DAC mode BT is not active is strictly an output device

5. Yes it's stable update the firmware when you get it. PC instantly recognizes it.

For $70 why don't you just get one and see for yourself. I vouch for it. A tually have 2 of them. 1 is permanently wired into my car audio system. And it sounds phenomenol as a line input (car has 500 W 17 speaker lexicon system)

Thank you for reply. It was very helpful. I've already have UP2, but my Macbook don't see it, so I can't try it in DAC–USB mode. And because I have macOS, I can’t update the firmware.
Regarding my question about the charging, I read in manual this:
„The USB port is only for data transmission or charging. Please try to avoid using this device when it is charging.”
It seems, that is not good idea to use it, when it is charging. And what about DAC-USB mode? Is it working on the battery, or it gets energy from the computer? Can it discharge during DAC-USB work?

Edit.
BTW, Up2 obviously have also ADC, because it has microphone. And on my Mac I can also record the sound from mic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back