Shanling UA4 - Portable USB DAC/AMP with Newest ESS DAC, Full screen and Hardware Buttons
Dec 13, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #63 of 165
I received my Shanling UA4 yesterday and am very disappointed.
Because in UA4, basic things are badly implemented, so that the sound itself doesn't even matter.
I personally do not recommend buying it, until the following issues are fixed:

1) UA4 noise floor is bad. Clearly audible even with my quite un-sensitive ER4SR. This is no issue with iBasso DC04 Pro.
[Update] Noise floor for 3.5mm is fine. Noise floor for 4.4mm is bad.

2) UA4 auto-mute regularly cuts off the first beat of certain tracks. This is also no issue with iBasso DC04 Pro.

To mask/hide the bad noise floor, UA4 has some kind of auto-mute, that automatically mutes output if there is no audio playing. Unfortunately, the response time is too slow and it regularly cuts off the first beat of certain tracks. When changing tracks, it first mutes between the two tracks, but then at the start of the next track un-mutes too slowly and cuts off maybe the first 0.1s of the track. If a track immediately starts e.g. with a kickdrum within the first 0.1s of the track, then the kickdrum (or whatever else is in these first 0.1s) gets cut off.

3) UA4 volume control is annoying, even with the latest firmware update. Again, this is no issue with iBasso DC04 Pro.

Let's say you want to change volume by 5 volume steps.

UA4 with original firmware:
Press volume button, wait for display animation, volume didn't change, press volume button again, wait for display animation, volume changed +1, press volume button again, wait for display animation, volume changed +1, press volume button again, wait for display animation, volume changed +1, press volume button again, wait for display animation, volume changed +1, press volume button again, wait for display animation, volume changed +1. Done.

UA4 with latest firmware (V1.0.2):
Press volume button, wait for display animation, volume didn't change, press volume button 5 times in quick succession, wait for display animation, volume changed +5. Done.

iBasso DC04 Pro:
Press volume button 5 times in quick succession. Done.

This issues need to be fixed as soon as possible and UA4 should never have been sold in this unfinished state.
Thank you for such a helpful informative commentary which points to serious issues 🙏🏼.

I have the iBasso DC04Pro and it is great in many ways but I felt tempted to get this one primarily thanks to its HARDWARE MEDIA PLAYBACK CONTROLS, which the DC04Pro lacks and that compromises use comfort for me (to be fair, unfortunately, still, there are hardly any dongles which do; those which have it that I know of are only the Lotoo Paw S2, which has not seen an upgraded model for too long, the FiiO KA5 and this one).

Andy ( AndyAudioVault of @DongleMadness ) has already released a video review of this one and, like you, mentioned a noise/distortion issue, pointing out SQ being good on low Loudness levels but perceptively losing it before reaching anywhere close to maximum Volume.
You confirming the same, while adding that much more, just killed my enthusiasm.

They might be able to fix some of it through firmware updates... But can they, through software, fix the noise floor? - I am not an expert - I do not know... Do you or anyone else and obviously @Shanling know whether such an issue is indeed on the hardware level and therefore impossible to fix or not?

Bummer, I had thought I found the best (for me) media playback controls dongle DAC/Amp... Just to realize in no time that it is not.

Thank you so much for your really helpful report 🙏🏼

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #64 of 165
I actually have both. Two excellent dongles, it is very difficult for me to give an opinion because I have only had the Shanling for a few days and what's more I have just changed the cable for my iem...
This UA4 is a very beautiful object, well finished, well manufactured, the sound is very dynamic, excellent transients too, very crystalline highs, very tight and deep bass, superb stereo image.
I don't use the screen or the three buttons, which are useless with Android of course.
After several days of listening, I think it will be the one I would listen to most commonly, but I have always preferred the ESS to the AKM or Cirrus...

Thank you for sharing!

Can you please explain what you meant by mentioning that you were not using the buttons because they were "useless with Android of course"?

I have the iBasso DC04Pro and it is great in many ways but the one thing that annoys me is the absence of built-in media playback controls (Volume Up/Down can be controlled but not Play/Pause Next/Previous)... Actually, the main reason I became interested in this one was exactly because of those buttons functionality (I have an Android) and this one is said to enable media playback controls through its buttons, freeing oneself from needing to interact with the phone's screen, for such fundamental audio listening functions... I lost you there... Can you please clarify?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #66 of 165
CAN ANYONE HELP LETTING ME KNOW HOW TO DELETE A POST PLEASE?

I am not experienced here and fail to discover how (so I only deleted its content).

I found only the Edit option. The drop down menu next to it with 'More Options' does not respond in my case (maybe because of being limited as a new member).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #67 of 165
There can be some background hiss audible, depending on used earphones and listener's sensitivity to this. And it will be more prominent on the balanced output than on the 3.5mm.

We are not seeing complaints from other users about noise floor on UA4.

If you believe your UA4 is not working correctly, please contact your seller for warranty check on it.
Andy ( YouTube's AndyAudioVault @DongleMadness ) has already released a video review and explicitly reported the same... He clearly pointed this out as an obvious engineering flaw (or trade-off for higher power output)... Either way, he reported expiring the same so the is more than one out there who does. Is that fixable or a hardware issue that cannot be fixed through firmware?

Thank you!

Dec 13, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #68 of 165
Thank you for sharing!

Can you please explain what you meant by mentioning that you were not using the buttons because they were "useless with Android of course"?

I have the iBasso DC04Pro and it is great in many ways but the one thing that annoys me is the absence of built-in media playback controls (Volume Up/Down can be controlled but not Play/Pause Next/Previous)... Actually, the main reason I became interested in this one was exactly because of those buttons functionality (I have an Android) and this one is said to enable media playback controls through its buttons, freeing oneself from needing to interact with the phone's screen, for such fundamental audio listening functions... I lost you there... Can you please clarify?

Thanks!

The buttons can be used for either volume or playback control with Android devices. It can differ between apps, as not all apps support this way of playback control.

Andy ( YouTube's AndyAudioVault @DongleMadness ) has already released a video review and explicitly reported the same... He clearly pointed this out as an obvious engineering flaw (or trade-off for higher power output)... Either way, he reported expiring the same so the is more than one out there who does. Is that fixable or a hardware issue that cannot be fixed through firmware?

Thank you!

Here in the thread we discussed a bit higher noise floor on the UA4 at very low volumes. Further discussion with engineers showed this is unfortunate side effect in using this ESS DAC and how it behaves at different voltage settings.

The reviewer complaint was the opposite, but without checking his setup we can't be sure what was causing it. It might be because his unit was set at maximum hardware volume, we would recommend more balanced approach between software and hardware volume.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 14, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #69 of 165
Thank you for sharing!

Thanks!
Oh it's very simple: for me all these buttons are just gadgets, I absolutely don't use them! (ditto for the screen, while it is essential for the intelligent Shanling H2).

The UAPP, Neutron, etc. player of the smartphone, tablet, Windows PC, Chrome or Linux, has all the settings much better and in addition there is also the proprietary Shanling application on Android!
So the buttons do double duty, increase the price, etc...
But the listeners want that, so...

But the Shanling UA4 is a wonderful instrument!

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #70 of 165
With UA4 we combined all the favourite features from our previous UA models, added in a brand-new ESS DAC and priced it to be extra competitive in this quickly growing market of ultra-compact USB DACs

UA4 Poster.jpg

We understand our users demand more controls directly on the DAC, so the UA4 comes with a 0.87-inch display, providing information on current playback and quick access to a range of settings. Helping with this is a trio of buttons, that not only serve for menu navigation, but can be configured to control the playback, hardware volume or software volume (functions can differ depending on the paired digital source).

Audio circuit utilizes our favourite dual Ricore RT6863 headphone amplifiers for balanced output and up to 211 mW @ 32 Ω of output power. This time paired with a brand-new ES9069Q DAC from the latest generation of ESS’ DACs. Tuned by our highly experienced engineers, with an extra focus on the clean and hiss-free output for all the high-efficient earphone users.

MSRP 99 USD

Available In November

resize__MG_8282-1.jpg
Shanling UA4 – Portable USB DAC/AMP

- New Design, available in Silver or Grey version

- Brand new ESS ES9069Q DAC

- Dual Ricore RT6863 Headphone Balanced Amplifier

- Three buttons for Hardware Volume Control / Software Volume Control / Playback Control

- 3.5mm Single-ended & 4.4mm Balanced Outputs

- Up to 211mW @ 32 Ohm Output power

- Compatible with Android, Windows, Mac and iOS.

- Shanling L3 Lightning cable needed for use with iOS Lightning devices

- UAC2.0 and UAC1.0 mode compatible, for use with Nintendo Switch and other gaming systems or older devices.

- Hi-Res support up to 32/768 and DSD512

- Universal USB-C Connector

- Compatible with Eddict Player app

resize_resize_02.jpg
Is this considered an upgrade to the UP4 and the UA5? I have the UP4 and like it very much.

Dec 19, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #71 of 165
Is this considered an upgrade to the UP4 and the UA5? I have the UP4 and like it very much.
UA5 is quite different from UA4, much more neutral tuned and bit more precise.

UA4 would be audio upgrade from UP4 definitely, UP2/4 models were more on level of UA1.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 21, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #73 of 165
The buttons can be used for either volume or playback control with Android devices. It can differ between apps, as not all apps support this way of playback control.

Here in the thread we discussed a bit higher noise floor on the UA4 at very low volumes. Further discussion with engineers showed this is unfortunate side effect in using this ESS DAC and how it behaves at different voltage settings.

The reviewer complaint was the opposite, but without checking his setup we can't be sure what was causing it. It might be because his unit was set at maximum hardware volume, we would recommend more balanced approach between software and hardware volume.
@Shanling

Thanks for responding.

Unfortunately, the noise floor might be a deal breaker for me on its own... But, just before I might close this chapter, something that would completely seal it, if I actually got it correctly... - Regarding the buttons controls, one has to choose to set up the dongle buttons settings for EITHER MEDIA PLAYBACK OR VOLUME CONTROL - is it the case that both are not enabled at the same time / settings setup?

Awaiting your response.

Thank you!

Dec 21, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #74 of 165
Oh it's very simple: for me all these buttons are just gadgets, I absolutely don't use them! (ditto for the screen, while it is essential for the intelligent Shanling H2).

The UAPP, Neutron, etc. player of the smartphone, tablet, Windows PC, Chrome or Linux, has all the settings much better and in addition there is also the proprietary Shanling application on Android!
So the buttons do double duty, increase the price, etc...
But the listeners want that, so...

But the Shanling UA4 is a wonderful instrument!
Thanks for explaining... I think I understood you... And why it is useless for you... Sure, those functions can be controlled by the host/source and apps... And it is the same for me but with a home desktop setup (and NON-DONGLE DESKTOP DAC/AMP) only.

Just to share, for me, it is very different... When I get a dongle it is for having the smallest footprint and for being battery-less, for being used as a PORTABLE DAC/AMP (or Portable-like, if one uses that term traditionally for battery-based only) that I use WITH A PHONE, not my laptop; when it is a 100% listening session, to a playlist or whatever, my eyes are not needed and visual interaction with the phone's screen, for me, is a distraction and a real nuisance... On-device physical buttons enable me to fully control the audio playback (Volume Up/Down, Play/Pause, Next/Precious) incomparably more comfortably, through tactile finger presses, using buttons only, without needing to interact with the phone, its screen and those apps (which I also use to play and EQ the files).
But, in the meanwhile @Shanling thankfully also responded, and if I understood them correctly, this one does not even enable to control the Media Playback while retaining the ability to control the Volume - one has to set up the buttons for EITHER Play/Pause + Next/Previous OR Volume Up/Down, NOT BOTH! (as is enabled on the FiiO KA5 and Lotoo Paw S2, for example), and that is another engineering blindspot, in my opinion... I guess, though, that unlike the noise floor, this one could be fixed through a firmware update (but I have no idea if they are aware of it and motivated to work on it).

Dec 21, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #75 of 165
What is the latest firmware version of this dongle ?

V1.0.2 posted on our webiste:

https://en.shanling.com/article-UA4V102.html

@Shanling

Thanks for responding.

Unfortunately, the noise floor might be a deal breaker for me on its own... But, just before I might close this chapter, something that would completely seal it, if I actually got it correctly... - Regarding the buttons controls, one has to choose to set up the dongle buttons settings for EITHER MEDIA PLAYBACK OR VOLUME CONTROL - is it the case that both are not enabled at the same time / settings setup?

Awaiting your response.

Thank you!

Correct, you need to choose in settings which option you want, Software volume / hardware volume / Playback control

Users who are viewing this thread

Back