Shanling Streamers - EM5 & NEW EA5 Plus
Dec 16, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #766 of 899
Agreed!

But the summary is:
1st: Great Sound Quality!
2nd: Software is good enough to provide 1st topic!

So you get what was promised: Great Sound quality for the money! Nothing more but also nothing less.
You can keep asking for better (more user friendly) software, but again: You get what was promised!

I have surrendered to the Shanling approach and I am a very happy customer!
Hi,

Totally agreed.

It is now clear that there is no improvement to expect from Shanling.
So as I said : either you live with it because it produces a magnificient sound ; or you switch to something else.

It seems you have chosen the first option.
So did I.
But it took some efforts to mmake it work as I WANT...
... not as Shanling expects me to use it.

And I am not reporting how I use it anymore.
I am too afraid that Shanling finds a way to forbid that kind of usage !!!!
Yes I might be slightly paranoic :)

But to be honest I do not understand why Shanling insists on us using Eddict.
I think it would be make their lives easier (and ours) if they just would provide "basic functional software" and allow customers to use third party software.
But they don't.
It looks like their way of implemtning DLNA is not standard.
It looks like their way of implementing UPnP is not standard.
And as such, third-party apps work on some aspects and not the others.
Example :
- Emby can not stream directly to EH-3
- Neutron player does not recongnize the EH-3 as a DLNA server
- UAPP, Bubble UPnP, mConnect, MediaMonkey, Synfonium can stream to EH-3 directly but stops after first track.

That last problem happened on EA-5 also.
The Eh-3 I am using does not have any Android.
So I think I am not making a stupid guess when I say the problem is how Shanling implements UPnP/DLNA protocols...

Regards.

Dec 16, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #767 of 899
Well, the sound is good, but not as good to justify the choice of an EM5 nowadays.
Too many competitors released much more reliable machines with the same features, or comparable, in the last few months and for competitive prices, although it must be said that the hardware design of the EM5 is still unmatched (but that's my very personal taste).
The new alternative machines use later versions of Android and, I'm afraid, more powerful processors.
In addition, the relevant remote app seem to work seemlessy and, sometimes, they have wider screens.
I'm talking about the ugly Fiio "Vendor machine" R7, which is currently cheaper than the EM5, or about the Eversolo DMP A6, at the same price of the EM5, which is only lacking of the HP amplifier facility (which is not the best component of the EM5).
And I'm limiting my list to the android devices only, since they are the only one able to play Apple Music natively, without recurring to the lossy Airplay solution. But, if you are not a fan of Apple, well, the choice is wider.
I honestly don't think that the sound quality of these devices is really worst than our be-loved/be-hated EM5.

Despite this, if I had to choose now, I wouldn't go for a streamer again: complicated machines that basically make you pay big money for what most of the tablets (or even cell-phones) on the market are able to do and that will end up to be obsolete in a couple of years at the best.
And, please, do not argue that music dedicated devices sound better. I know.
But I challenge you to detect audible differences in a blind A/B test using the same dac-amp chain!
What would I do now?
I would simply select a good HP amplifier and a DAC of my choice (separate or combo) and connect it/them to an I-pad (even a refurbished old model, as long it's able to support recent IOS releases.
By the way, try to feed the EM5 with an Iphone / Ipad and let me know.
That's it.

Having said that... Is anyone willing to buy my February 2023 EM5???
:darthsmile::darthsmile::darthsmile:

See you arond

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #768 of 899
Well, the sound is good, but not as good to justify the choice of an EM5 nowadays.
Too many competitors released much more reliable machines with the same features, or comparable, in the last few months and for competitive prices, although it must be said that the hardware design of the EM5 is still unmatched (but that's my very personal taste).
The new alternative machines use later versions of Android and, I'm afraid, more powerful processors.
In addition, the relevant remote app seem to work seemlessy and, sometimes, they have wider screens.
I'm talking about the ugly Fiio "Vendor machine" R7, which is currently cheaper than the EM5, or about the Eversolo DMP A6, at the same price of the EM5, which is only lacking of the HP amplifier facility (which is not the best component of the EM5).
And I'm limiting my list to the android devices only, since they are the only one able to play Apple Music natively, without recurring to the lossy Airplay solution. But, if you are not a fan of Apple, well, the choice is wider.
I honestly don't think that the sound quality of these devices is really worst than our be-loved/be-hated EM5.

Despite this, if I had to choose now, I wouldn't go for a streamer again: complicated machines that basically make you pay big money for what most of the tablets (or even cell-phones) on the market are able to do and that will end up to be obsolete in a couple of years at the best.
And, please, do not argue that music dedicated devices sound better. I know.
But I challenge you to detect audible differences in a blind A/B test using the same dac-amp chain!
What would I do now?
I would simply select a good HP amplifier and a DAC of my choice (separate or combo) and connect it/them to an I-pad (even a refurbished old model, as long it's able to support recent IOS releases.
By the way, try to feed the EM5 with an Iphone / Ipad and let me know.
That's it.

Having said that... Is anyone willing to buy my February 2023 EM5???
:darthsmile::darthsmile::darthsmile:

See you arond
Hi,

I hear you.

I choose a device like the EM-5 for it's sound AND functionnality.
I used to have a Streamer (raspberry pi4) with a DAC (AUNE S8) and a headphone amplifier (Aune S7).
I was nice but did not sound nearly as good as the EA-5.
So to my ears, sound is superb. Software is a let down...

So I decided to give the EH-3 a try.
It is nice and sounds really spectacular (even the E1-5 is not on par with this).
But again :
- Eddict software almost needed and that is the most horrible POS I've seen ;
- Mostly not compatible with third party software.

So I found the Fiio R7 used and will try that.
Hope it will work.

I'll make sure o post my results here.
Maybe that will contribute to decide Shanling to finally give us some credit and listen to our claims...

Regards.

Dec 16, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #769 of 899
@Shanling to report to you on the 1.6 after update and factory reset,

- Qobuz main screen changed, than preivous FW, and too many error pop up and unable to see newest albums at "discover" page
- Screen Projection becoming smaller in android cellphone

Dec 17, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #770 of 899
Agreed!

But the summary is:
1st: Shanling provides Great Sound Quality for the money!
2nd: Software is good enough to provide 1st topic!

Hi,

1000% agreed on first statement.
But agreed 20% on second statement.

Eddict is simply not usable for my needs at least if combined with the EH-3, and, to some extend, in combination with EA5/EM5.

Here is a summary of why I can't use it :
- No EQ possible with the EH-3 (maybe there is with the EA5/EM5) ;
- Browsing through arstists does not show artist art (I0 can live with that) ;
- Browsing through artist, if you click the artist, instead of being presented with a list of albums you're taken to a page that displays ALL TRACKS by that artist ;
- Browsing through albums does not show Cover art (more difficult to live with for me) ;
- Browsing through albums can only be done alphabetically (no sorting by date) ;
- Browsing through albums often results in weird results (it happens quite often that I get track 30 to 35 first and then tracks 1 to 29...) ;
- Connection to device not reliable (more reliable with Synclink but not top notch) ;
- No widget for Eddict in Android ;
- No inclusion of music services (except one that I can't even find an)ymore
- Unstable app (I often find out that Eddict has quit so I have to go through the process of launching it and connect to EH-3 again).

Besides, concerning the "firmware/software" :
- no compliance with strict UPnP protocol rules ;
- no compliance with strict DLNA protocol rules...

Or maybe (which is another thing) : maybe hardware not compatible with those protocols which would be even more difficult to accept.

So all in all, I have had to find a way to use the EH-3 without Eddict.
It has not been easy.
But I think I finally found a way to do it.
Little clumsy solution, but hey... it works.
So I can finally listen to my music AS I WANT and not as Shanling wants me to.

Regards.

Dec 17, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #771 of 899
Hi,

Just ordered that "Ugnly" R7 you're talking about.
Will get it this afternoon.
I'll be able to make direct comparison between R7 and the EH-3 I am currently using.

The EH-3 sounds really wonderful to my ears.
I was not a special fan of ESS DACs, but I must say that I am impressed at how much info the ESS9039 Pro can queeze out of your file...

And HP Amp is also stellar.

But let's see if the R7 is more "usable" :wink:

Regards.

Dec 17, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #772 of 899
Hi,

Regards.
Oh, well, beauty is subjective...
Senza nome.png

I should have eared the ad: "Designed to be listened, not watched!"
:darthsmile:

Ciao

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #774 of 899
Oh, well, beauty is subjective...
Senza nome.png

I should have eared the ad: "Designed to be listened, not watched!"

Ciao
Hahahaha! Best commercial tag line!

Although, a vertical screen on a streamer is nice. Album art in the streaming apps on EM5 require telescopes.

Dec 17, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #775 of 899
Amazon app was updated... Unfortunately, it still doesn't work with a standard Prime subscription.

Please what issue are you facing with Amazon Music?

@Shanling
Some suggestions for future improvement:
- make the eq feature available also for the music played via streaming services
- make the vu-meter feature available also for the music played via streaming services
- make the wireless projection responsive and available for vertical screens.
Rgds

- For EQ, this would demand system-wide EQ capabilities which is not something our software team is capable of so far.
- I don't think that could work, this always works for the app itself playing music, not sure how it could be managing such info from 3rd party apps.
- We got this feedback many times over years, so far our software team is considering if it could be done.

@Shanling to report to you on the 1.6 after update and factory reset,

- Qobuz main screen changed, than preivous FW, and too many error pop up and unable to see newest albums at "discover" page
- Screen Projection becoming smaller in android cellphone

Response from our software team:
- They are aware of issues with Qobuz app.
- This is intended change by software team.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 17, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #776 of 899
Hi,

Will get it this afternoon.
I'll be able to make direct comparison between R7 and the EH-3 I am currently using.

The EH-3 sounds really wonderful to my ears.
I was not a special fan of ESS DACs, but I must say that I am impressed at how much info the ESS9039 Pro can queeze out of your file...

And HP Amp is also stellar.

Regards.
I look forward for your EM5 vs R7 comparison on sound wise

Dec 18, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #778 of 899
I look forward for your EM5 vs R7 comparison on sound wise
Hi, the comparison will be between the Shanling Eh-3 and the R7 and will be a quickie : R7 is nowhere near the EH-3 when you compare sound.
The R7 sounds veiled and muddy compared to the EH-3 even if same EQ is applied to the headphone...

Dec 18, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #779 of 899
Please what issue are you facing with Amazon Music?
@Shanling
The user interface is now working, but if you try to press "play" the song doesn't start and you get no sound.
Please note that I have a "Prime" subscription which offers limited features, similar to Spotify free. So you expect that the application works but that you have limited options to select specific tracks/skip etc. But with the EM5, no sound at all: only images.
Needless to say, with my Prime subscription, I can regularly play Amazon Music from my any other device.
Please et me know.

Thx for the explanations, even if they are not edifying.
Rgds

Dec 18, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #780 of 899
Hi, the comparison will be between the Shanling Eh-3 and the R7 and will be a quickie : R7 is nowhere near the EH-3 when you compare sound.
The R7 sounds veiled and muddy compared to the EH-3 even if same EQ is applied to the headphone...
Did you put the coins in the vendor machine?
Again, throw the bloody all in one streamers in the garbage and use a tablet or a computer with a proper DAC/AMP.
As an expert told me, I won't say his name, because he is an official Shanling distributor: "just connect your Ipad to your EM5 and **** the rest". Unfortunately, if I had to do that, why the EM5 and not any other solution?
Ciao

Users who are viewing this thread

Back